Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Pandemonium!: AFL 2021 Rd 4: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 6879 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Pandemonium!: AFL 2021 Rd 4: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #90
Five years in our system and they're just working that one out now?

Says a lot. Not much good....
Oddly, perhaps not so oddly, I suspect the same applies to our AFL squad as well, in particular Cripps, Setterfield and Walsh.

When things aren't going our way in the ruck, the setup doesn't look suited to our slower bodies.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #91
On player's becoming coaches... I believe that the more natural a player is, the less likely he will to become a great coach. Not to say he couldn't, but it seems to me that the guy's who have to work the hardest to get the most out of themselves and their career seem to have a better handle on coaching, and communicating to those in development.

Reply #92
On player's becoming coaches... I believe that the more natural a player is, the less likely he will to become a great coach. Not to say he couldn't, but it seems to me that the guy's who have to work the hardest to get the most out of themselves and their career seem to have a better handle on coaching, and communicating to those in development.
Exactly.

Couple of back pocket players with limited ability turned out to be 2 of the greatest of all time. Speedy and malthouse.

Throw current coaching God dimma hardwick in there too.

Teague has the right playing attributes....

Reply #93
If not for some external issues Diesel would have been an A-Grade AFL coach, and The Hyphen probably should have been given a AFL coaching crack as well, serious capabilities.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #94
Just got back from my Gold Coast Road Trip last night. My first observation is that the country is looking pretty good at the moment but with our climate and our weather patterns it is certain to deteriate over the coming years.
With the humidity and rain they had had up there, the ball was very slippery, coupled with our skill errors, it made for a very poor quality game. Once again we should have won by more but we continue to waste opportunities in front of goal.
The umpires got Gold Coast six frees up early and were able to maintain that buffer throughout the night.
The crowd was interesting considering Gold Coast has been practicing social distancing before social distancing was a thing.
The good was that Carlton was able to maintain its structures most of the night and even though the Gold Coast had the players and game plan that were actually more suited to the conditions. The players seem to be committed to the structures and game plan but they need to eliminate the skill errors and decision making mistakes that plague them.
Considering we had eight players out that you would consider for the first 23, Carlton has a lot better list than many of the critics give us credit for. It is team structure and individual ability that is getting us by at the moment. We need better cohesion, trust and teaming if we are going to make serious inroads up the ladder.