Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2021 Rd 1: Carlton vs Southport (Read 3565 times) previous topic - next topic

VFL 2021 Rd 1: Carlton vs Southport

The game is set for Saturday afternoon at home.
We have 9 Carlton listed players named, but the actual side isn't up yet.

9 is not a lot, considering our list, but with our injuries, I am happy to see that many. Hopefully the youngsters can put on a powerful showing.

Here is the line-up, as named a couple of minutes ago, just as I was about to post!

Backs: Cody Hirst Ed Delany Ryley Stoddart
Half-backs: Liam Stocker Stefan Radovanovic Cooper Stephens
Centreline: Sam Philp Lochie O'Brien Will Setterfield
Half-forwards: Matt Owies Josh Honey David Cuningham
Forwards: Corey Durdin Ben Crocker Ben Caluzzi
Followers: Alex Mirkov   James Parsons    Sam Ramsay
Interchange: Toby Wooller    Tom North   Dale Marshall Matt Shannon       
Emergency:   Daniel Guccione    Aaron Gundry   Lachie Swaney

Anyone for a guy forward? That is the smallest forward line I can ever remember for a Carlton team. Cunners might actually be the tallest of them!
Overall, the team appears small and fast (well, there is Lochie O'Brien).
Wooller is tall and can pinch hit in the ruck. Mirkov is 210 cm tall! I don't know much about him, he was only put on the list this week.
Zavier Maher is also on the list, but he is playing U19 footy this weekend for the Bushrangers.
From memory, the only other big fellow names is Aaron Gundry, who has been having injury problems of late. He was the Pioneers ruck last season (you know what I mean). He totally dominated Richmond a few weeks back, but got injured then and isn't 100% yet.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: VFL 2021 Rd 1: Carlton vs Southport

Reply #1
I saw the team and before i read your post my eyes popped out of my head looking at the forward line.

I googled and found 188 and 184 for our 'key forwards'

Then i read your post and checked cunners 185.

Thats embarrassing from a list management perspective.

Reply #2
You would think Wooller might be brought in to play up forward and perhaps relieve in the ruck if Delaney stays down back.  I am surprised neither of Guccione or Gundry is included to give some much needed height -  if Gundry is fit to play he should certainly be in there.  Those changes would make the munchkinland forward line look a bit more balanced.

Reply #3
Well into the final qtr and Blues by 11 pts after Southport drew level. 16.12 to 15.7
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #4
Southport won by 1 pt.

Blues 16.12.108
S'port 17.7.109
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #5
Southport won by 1 pt.

Blues 16.12.108
S'port 17.7.109

Only time Southport were in front was at the end. How did we fxxx that up? We had some huge leads.

Heard Stocker was outstanding.

Reply #6
The game is set for Saturday afternoon at home.
We have 9 Carlton listed players named, but the actual side isn't up yet.

9 is not a lot, considering our list, but with our injuries, I am happy to see that many. Hopefully the youngsters can put on a powerful showing.

Here is the line-up, as named a couple of minutes ago, just as I was about to post!

Backs: Cody Hirst Ed Delany Ryley Stoddart
Half-backs: Liam Stocker Stefan Radovanovic Cooper Stephens
Centreline: Sam Philp Lochie O'Brien Will Setterfield
Half-forwards: Matt Owies Josh Honey David Cuningham
Forwards: Corey Durdin Ben Crocker Ben Caluzzi
Followers: Alex Mirkov   James Parsons    Sam Ramsay
Interchange: Toby Wooller    Tom North   Dale Marshall Matt Shannon       
Emergency:   Daniel Guccione    Aaron Gundry   Lachie Swaney

Anyone for a guy forward? That is the smallest forward line I can ever remember for a Carlton team. Cunners might actually be the tallest of them!
Overall, the team appears small and fast (well, there is Lochie O'Brien).
Wooller is tall and can pinch hit in the ruck. Mirkov is 210 cm tall! I don't know much about him, he was only put on the list this week.
Zavier Maher is also on the list, but he is playing U19 footy this weekend for the Bushrangers.
From memory, the only other big fellow names is Aaron Gundry, who has been having injury problems of late. He was the Pioneers ruck last season (you know what I mean). He totally dominated Richmond a few weeks back, but got injured then and isn't 100% yet.

Hope we don't get any key position injuries then in the seniors. Pity Kerr wasn't still around.

Reply #7
Only time Southport were in front was at the end. How did we fxxx that up? We had some huge leads.

Heard Stocker was outstanding.
Do SouthPort Sharks have any big names?...I know they are a well run club but who actually beat us, reality is a Queensland club team beat a Carlton team with 9 listed senior players...

Reply #8
Do SouthPort Sharks have any big names?...I know they are a well run club but who actually beat us, reality is a Queensland club team beat a Carlton team with 9 listed senior players...

I have no idea about those other clubs. We had 8 or 9 senior players but I think we just had a mish-mash of whoever stuck together recently for the rest of the side. Got no idea if they are any good.

Reply #11
Some SouthPort Shark insights, they seem a well equipped club and have some old friends of ours playing for them.
SOUTHPORT SHARKS
Coach: Steve Daniel
Captain: Andrew Boston, Seb Tape
2019 Result: 14-6, 2nd (NEAFL)
Key Ins: Daniel Charlesworth, Jacob Dawson, Billy Gowers, Jesse Joyce, Brad Lynch, Connor Nutting, Leigh Osborne, Brad Scheer, Fraser Thurlow, Lukas Webb
Key Outs: Timakoi Bowie, Lee Dale, Joshua Hall, Jack Mentha, Tyler Roos, Matt Shaw, Trent Stubbs, Jordan Taylor, Jed Turner
Five Players To Watch: Tom Fields, Billy Gowers, Mitchell Johnson, Brodie Murdoch, Jesse Travaglini
Summary: A perennial powerhouse in the AFLQ and NEAFL competitions, the Sharks are a club that should be able compete at this level long-term both on and off the field. They have recruited strongly off AFL lists and will be a challenging proposition to play against most weeks. It remains to be seen if they can find the 10 or 11 wins they will likely need to make the finals.

Reply #12
Summary: A perennial powerhouse in the AFLQ and NEAFL competitions, the Sharks are a club that should be able compete at this level long-term both on and off the field. They have recruited strongly off AFL lists and will be a challenging proposition to play against most weeks. It remains to be seen if they can find the 10 or 11 wins they will likely need to make the finals.
It'll be the 2nd half of the season before the traditional VFL clubs get a handle on them, that is when they get tested.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #13
Stocker had to be BOG. He had an outstanding game. It is a pity that we couldn't hold on for that extra few seconds to get the win. :(
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #14
Billy Gowers kicked 6 goals for Southport and would be Blue Lukas Webb kicked the sealer.
Stocker has to be an automatic in...