Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Open 2018 (Read 14059 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Open 2018

Reply #15
Yes & No WW
I would be very surprised if Sam didn't rue the fact she hasn't been able to perform down here and that she hasn't been able to perform well in the big tournaments regularly.

Also she has won more titles on hard courts than on clay (5-4). As well as made more finals (15-9), so it suggests she certainly can play hard courts.

I think she has had a great career of course and she has been the best Australian Woman in my lifetime and made the number 1 ranking. So that is superb... but that doesn't mean she has performed to her potential.
Of her 57 Grand Slam tournaments.
She has failed to make the 1/4 finals 50 times.
She has failed to make it past the 2nd round 34 times.

Calling out that she appears to have issues in big tournaments isn't saying that Sam isn't a great player. she is and has been. It is unusual though to have a Grand Slam winner and former number 1 with those numbers. The only other one off the top of my head that I can recall is Ana Ivanovic.
A look at her record shows
of her 48 Grand Slam Tournaments
She failed to make the 1/4 finals 40 times
She failed to make it past the 2nd round 16 times.

Now Ana (like Sam) had a great tennis career, but it was one that would be considered inconsistent and perhaps susceptible in big tournaments.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #16
She had another appearance in a grand slam final and that was the French.

The fact she didnt get the chocolates isnt as important as she has made both finals, and only won one of them.

She also made the semi finals a few times at the French and the QF a couple more times at US.

I was only referencing that point as I think at her best she plays well on clay and hard courts.
As I mentioned in just a recent post above as well.
She made 24 finals in her career, 15 on hard courts, 9 on clay courts.

It again, appears to point to me that Sam struggles at times were between her ears
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #17
All great points and I generally agree.

I do find concern when the keyboard warriors start throwing out comments that she simply must have "mental health" issues (really??) and drawing ridiculous comparisons to Alana and Nick (who both have completely different background issues).

OK, she has difficult AO matches.  I would imagine she is aware of that, but before we start being disrespectful to a sports person who has always handled herself publicly impeccable and actually has an amazing CV in an era dominated by Serena and co...let's give a little credit where it's due.

As a "sports forum", I reckon we need to be better than this.
"...that's the thing about opinion - you don't have to know anything to have one..."  Andre Agassi commenting on Pat Cash 2004
"...the less you know - the more you believe..." - Bono 2006

Reply #18
What's up with Novak ?

Reply #19
All great points and I generally agree.

I do find concern when the keyboard warriors start throwing out comments that she simply must have "mental health" issues (really??) and drawing ridiculous comparisons to Alana and Nick (who both have completely different background issues).

OK, she has difficult AO matches.  I would imagine she is aware of that, but before we start being disrespectful to a sports person who has always handled herself publicly impeccable and actually has an amazing CV in an era dominated by Serena and co...let's give a little credit where it's due.

As a "sports forum", I reckon we need to be better than this.

Who mentioned "mental health"?

Saying she's not strong mentally when the going gets tough is a long way from saying she has a mental health issue....

It's clear as day she's fragile and that affects her performances more often that not.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #20
What's up with Novak ?

Recovering from an elbow issue.  Is wearing a "sleeve" dressing and was visibly unable to use extreme power in his serving and forehand strokes.  His two handed backhand was less effected due to the left arm providing more stability to the elbow, and perhaps the motion causing less issue.

Ultimately, it looks like Novak is recovering from injury, and probably wasn't ready for a tournament.  It looked like he could barely serve with any power and his biggest serving effort last night was in the 180's and according to the commentators was very easy to read due to his limited ability to hit with strength and precision.

They went to great lengths explained his "slice" serve which his opponent had studied and was anticipating which is ultimately why he was beaten so easily by a relative no namer IMHO.

Yesterday, his 4th match in the space of week looked perhaps like a bridge too far.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #21
Recovering from an elbow issue.  Is wearing a "sleeve" dressing and was visibly unable to use extreme power in his serving and forehand strokes.  His two handed backhand was less effected due to the left arm providing more stability to the elbow, and perhaps the motion causing less issue.

Ultimately, it looks like Novak is recovering from injury, and probably wasn't ready for a tournament.  It looked like he could barely serve with any power and his biggest serving effort last night was in the 180's and according to the commentators was very easy to read due to his limited ability to hit with strength and precision.

They went to great lengths explained his "slice" serve which his opponent had studied and was anticipating which is ultimately why he was beaten so easily by a relative no namer IMHO.

Yesterday, his 4th match in the space of week looked perhaps like a bridge too far.

That said, Novak had beaten Ramos-Vinolas (sp?) in straight sets the previous round. The Spaniard around the top 20.

Meanwhile the Korean kid won the last two sets against Zverev the younger 3 and 0, conceding 5 points in the last set against the world #4.

So, his form was red hot.

And he (the Djoker) still managed a fastest serve of 196kmhr.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #22
That said, Novak had beaten Ramos-Vinolas (sp?) in straight sets the previous round. The Spaniard around the top 20.

Meanwhile the Korean kid won the last two sets against Zverev the younger 3 and 0, conceding 5 points in the last set against the world #4.

So, his form was red hot.

And he (the Djoker) still managed a fastest serve of 196kmhr.....

I don't want to take away anything from the Korean, but Djokovic is clearly playing under duress and wasnt at his best yesterday.  4 matches in a week with an elbow injury and he pretty much only lost on tie breakers.  Its why hes considered a gun.

Ill go with what the commentators were saying.  He was clearly hindered last night.  Did you watch the match??

Paul Hewson

Reply #23
yes. And I agree he was 'hindered'....nonetheless the kid was amazing.

Maybe he'll never be (again) what he once was....?

Changing your service action is a big, big deal for anyone let alone an elite....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #24
Yeah I think he did it as a result of the injury and to alleviate pain preventing him from his usual motion and not because he wanted to.

Anyway, it is what it is.

I think this will be the only time you see him like this, and that he'll recover in future. 

Paul Hewson

Reply #25
yes. And I agree he was 'hindered'....nonetheless the kid was amazing.

Maybe he'll never be (again) what he once was....?

Changing your service action is a big, big deal for anyone let alone an elite....
Rocket Eade taught himself to run with a shorter gate to prevent further injury. Elite sport people can pull stuff like that off I reckon.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #26
Rafa out with a hip injury....

Cilic was monstering him I gather. Saw very little of it.

Fed would be happy in a manner.

Hope Rafa's injury isn't too bad - the game is better with him and Djokovis fit. Murray? meh...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #27
Rafa out with a hip injury....

Cilic was monstering him I gather. Saw very little of it.

Fed would be happy in a manner.

Hope Rafa's injury isn't too bad - the game is better with him and Djokovis fit. Murray? meh...

I'm a big Rafa fan, but that post match whinge was very poor form.

Reply #28
indeed.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #29
I'm a big Rafa fan, but that post match whinge was very poor form.
Agree Paul, he's better than that.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time