Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Open 2018 (Read 14954 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Open 2018

Reply #45
He doesn't say Nadal is better mind you.

The fact Federer went 4-0 against Nadal in 2017, at age 36 says it all to me.

I still think Federer cost himself a good few slams (which largely went Nadal's way) by steadfastly refusing to change to a bigger racquet head sooner.

He was playing with the equivalent of a wooden racquet for years. i think it was only 2012 when he finally moved to the bigger head.

So for the best part of a decade, Nadal had been using 100sqi versus Fed's 90sqi.

More control with the smaller bat granted (arguably), but a major reduction in power.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2017/03/roger-federer-racquet-change-backhand-rafael-nadal-indian-wells/64840/

The change occurred in 2014 apparently.

Reply #47
I watched the first set, and I thought "bloody Chung - what an imposter and time waster. He's not even trying."

And now we know why.

Reply #48
Kudos the mighty Fed!!!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #49
I'll never like Federer.   He's always irritated me since he first emerged.

Kudos to him though he's a gun.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #50
Cilic is a choker and a front runner.

Reply #51
Why did they close the roof last night?

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #53
The "extreme heat policy" came into effect.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/tennis/australian-open/controversial-decision-in-australian-open-final-divides-tennis-world/news-story/ba6cabafdd3fd772f7547cc9ee2d708d

Last night was hot but it was no where near as hot as what Djokovic and Monfils played in last week but anything for Roger I guess.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #54
Last night was hot but it was no where near as hot as what Djokovic and Monfils played in last week but anything for Roger I guess.

I find it hard to believe that Cilic would complain about cooler, more pleasant conditions. What happens in a regular outdoor tournament when you play in 35+ degree heat, then you have a cool change, and the next few days are in the mid 20's ? It does happen.

Hewitt and Courier had differing opinions about who would benefit from the closed roof. JC said it would help Fed, LH said Cilic.

Reply #55
I find it hard to believe that Cilic would complain about cooler, more pleasant conditions. What happens in a regular outdoor tournament when you play in 35+ degree heat, then you have a cool change, and the next few days are in the mid 20's ? It does happen.

Hewitt and Courier had differing opinions about who would benefit from the closed roof. JC said it would help Fed, LH said Cilic.

Federer loves playing indoors and the faster balls would favour Cilic. I would still think Roger would have found a way to win in any conditions because he is just a better player than Cilic but he might have been playing someone better if they were given the luxuries that Roger was given.

He was being favoured before the final, that was just the icing on the cake.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #56
Federer loves playing indoors and the faster balls would favour Cilic. I would still think Roger would have found a way to win in any conditions because he is just a better player than Cilic but he might have been playing someone better if they were given the luxuries that Roger was given.

He was being favoured before the final, that was just the icing on the cake.

Yes, I guess so. The only decent players that have given RF some real competition over the last 10 years are Djokovic and Rafa. All the others have had 5 minutes of luck or are just FedEx road kill, going back to numpties like Roddick.

Reply #57
if Cilic was training outdoors in the heat, then where was Fed training ?

Reply #58
indoors.

They were told the roof would be closed and given the opportunity to train indoor. Fed did, Cilic didn't - God knows why?!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #59
indoors.

They were told the roof would be closed and given the opportunity to train indoor. Fed did, Cilic didn't - God knows why?!

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/australian-open-2018-open-and-shut-closed-roof-surprised-federer-and-cilic-20180128-h0pnzl.html

Cilic said he was not asked if he wanted the roof closed but was consulted ahead of the decision. Both players were given the opportunity to practice indoors. Federer chose to accept the offer, Cilic did not.