Skip to main content
Topic: Basketball Victoria CEO banned (Read 3861 times) previous topic - next topic

Basketball Victoria CEO banned

From the 3AW website:

The CEO of Basketball Victoria has been punished for an altercation with at least one referee at his daughter’s under-12s game at Box Hill.

3AW’s Rumour File has confirmed a tribunal found Nick Honey guilty of bringing the game into disrepute, gross breach of code, and avoidable contact with an official.

He has been ordered to serve an eight-week ban for the incident in February and remains CEO while serving his suspensio

I know one of the officials who was abused and manhandled by Honey and his behaviour during the incident and at the tribunal hearing was unacceptable for anyone, let alone the CEO of BV.

It seems that information about the tribunal decision has not been published as normally happens with basketball tribunal matters but the faeces has now hit the fan.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Re: Basketball Victoria CEO banned

Reply #1
Firstly, I'm no fan of basketball, as a professional sport it's a game designed around advertising.

I've heard some rumors about this seasons junior finals series that are outrageous, the refs seem to have lost the plot.

I think I posted about one such incident a few weeks back in which an Unders team ended up with just 2 players on the court before half-time after a series of crazy technical fouls being called by refs on children as young as 11. Some of the kids were asked to leave the stadium due to repeat technical fouls, fouls that most adult players would struggle to understand and you would need a video replay to analyse!

In one incident a coach was fouled/banned from the stadium because after having only two players left he pulled his U12 team off the court! The refs expected his team to continue a grand final with only two players, no bench and no coach!

I suspect someone high up has had their kid spurned by BV and is seeking technical revenge across the entire competition because it seems like a system wide fever has hit the referees!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2
Weak Penalty, if that was a mum/dad  of a player they wouldnt be allowed to watch for 12/24 months....saying that the reffing was terrible when I used to take my lot to play domestic at either Box Hill or Koonung..... ;) but you cant excuse that type of behaviour..

Reply #3
Firstly, I'm no fan of basketball, as a professional sport it's a game designed around advertising.

I've heard some rumors about this seasons junior finals series that are outrageous, the refs seem to have lost the plot.

I think I posted about one such incident a few weeks back in which an Unders team ended up with just 2 players on the court before half-time after a series of crazy technical fouls being called by refs on children as young as 11. Some of the kids were asked to leave the stadium due to repeat technical fouls, fouls that most adult players would struggle to understand and you would need a video replay to analyse!

In one incident a coach was fouled/banned from the stadium because after having only two players left he pulled his U12 team off the court! The refs expected his team to continue a grand final with only two players, no bench and no coach!

I suspect someone high up has had their kid spurned by BV and is seeking technical revenge across the entire competition because it seems like a system wide fever has hit the referees!

That is fanciful LP.

In this case it wasn’t a final, there were no technical fouls, both teams finished with all their players and the officials, by virtue of their ages, have no children spurned by BV.  In fact, BV has very little to do with junior basketball, apart from setting the rules framework that the officials were trying to implement.

It’s probably relevant that the officials were women - actually two women and a girl.  I suspect that Honey would have been more circumspect if my 200cm son was reffing.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #4
That is fanciful LP.

The thought of some system wide influence might be fanciful.

But the events have actually happened in multiple junior finals, and I'm talking U12 or below.

I believe one game is now being investigated by Officials from Vic Sport as kids were sent to the car park by referees and not allowed to watch their team play in a GF, it was described as bizarre circumstances! These were not kids ejected for abuse or violent acts, some of the offenses were supposed to be technical or professional fouls like blocks, and or travel. Not that I know enough about basketball to comment, but it seems hard to imagine kids who have hands the size of a espresso cup doing a lot of carry on an alleged fast break while dribbling the ball, how a fast break even is assessed for kids who take 30 steps to cover the length of the court is a mystery!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5
That is fanciful LP.

In this case it wasn’t a final, there were no technical fouls, both teams finished with all their players and the officials, by virtue of their ages, have no children spurned by BV.  In fact, BV has very little to do with junior basketball, apart from setting the rules framework that the officials were trying to implement.

It’s probably relevant that the officials were women - actually two women and a girl.  I suspect that Honey would have been more circumspect if my 200cm son was reffing.

Yep basketball is political and inbred but not at domestic level so much, less so in the womens comp and not until the U16's and playing rep.....domestic refs are usually players with the home club making some pocket money or have some other family/club connection. Its usually the coaches that get thrown out rather than players at that level....

Reply #6
Yep basketball is political and inbred but not at domestic level so much, less so in the womens comp and not until the U16's and playing rep.....domestic refs are usually players with the home club making some pocket money or have some other family/club connection. Its usually the coaches that get thrown out rather than players at that level....

Most of the games were lower level regional stuff out Knox/Dandenong or down on the Peninsula. But one of the games was a Melb Tigers associated U12 team I believe in at MSAC or one of the city venues, it's also being investigated as there is apparently stadium video available!

My main concern EB1 is we are talking about children, kids who should be encouraged to participate, kids who can barely run without tripping themselves over let alone deal with the technical vaguery of a very complicated sport. One of the parents reports their 10 yo was playing up a level, primarily due to his size, and was ejected from the GF stadium for a two technical fouls!

In another game the refs ended up in an argument with a coach because they fouled so many kids the game stopped when the team was down to one player. The refs wanted the coach to bring a kid sitting on the bench back on to allow the game to continue and when the coach refused he was ejected, the kid it turned out was nursing an injured arm on the bench watching out his teams GF, scans later showed he had a fracture! The ref allegedly later said at a post match investigation that if he'd known the kid remaining on the bench had a fractured arm he would not have called the other penalties, wtf! This was also a lower level U12 match! :o

Is this the ugly parent syndrome, the reach of NBA money into junior sport, people ensuring certain kids get all the opportunity!

As an aside.
A weekend ago our local football team had an interesting scenario. You may know the weather was atrocious, some games were abandoned because of hail, high winds and debris on grounds. They have a kid, U19 200cm, an above average KPF but not really AFL draftable level, who can kick drop punts 70m+ with monotonous regularity. He's having shots at goal from inside the center square most weeks and dobbing a good percentage of them in Rocca style. He's been spotted by an NFL recruiter and signed up for a scholarship starting later this year, when the bad weather hit he got a phone call to withdraw from the team because the conditions were too dangerous! The recruiter/manager rang from the USA, wtf!!! At local level the kid is one of those players that is the difference between a win and a loss, he wanted to play, his team wanted him to play, who told the manager in the middle of the US night? :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7
Most of the games were lower level regional stuff out Knox/Dandenong or down on the Peninsula. But one of the games was a Melb Tigers associated U12 team I believe in at MSAC or one of the city venues, it's also being investigated as there is apparently stadium video available!

My main concern EB1 is we are talking about children, kids who should be encouraged to participate, kids who can barely run without tripping themselves over let alone deal with the technical vaguery of a very complicated sport. One of the parents reports their 10 yo was playing up a level, primarily due to his size, and was ejected from the GF stadium for a two technical fouls!

In another game the refs ended up in an argument with a coach because they fouled so many kids the game stopped when the team was down to one player. The refs wanted the coach to bring a kid sitting on the bench back on to allow the game to continue and when the coach refused he was ejected, the kid it turned out was nursing an injured arm on the bench watching out his teams GF, scans later showed he had a fracture! The ref allegedly later said at a post match investigation that if he'd known the kid remaining on the bench had a fractured arm he would not have called the other penalties, wtf! This was also a lower level U12 match! :o

Is this the ugly parent syndrome, the reach of NBA money into junior sport, people ensuring certain kids get all the opportunity!

As an aside.
A weekend ago our local football team had an interesting scenario. You may know the weather was atrocious, some games were abandoned because of hail, high winds and debris on grounds. They have a kid, U19 200cm, an above average KPF but not really AFL draftable level, who can kick drop punts 70m+ with monotonous regularity. He's having shots at goal from inside the center square most weeks and dobbing a good percentage of them in Rocca style. He's been spotted by an NFL recruiter and signed up for a scholarship starting later this year, when the bad weather hit he got a phone call to withdraw from the team because the conditions were too dangerous! The recruiter/manager rang from the USA, wtf!!! At local level the kid is one of those players that is the difference between a win and a loss, he wanted to play, his team wanted him to play, who told the manager in the middle of the US night? :o

Lot of ugly parents at basketball and it only gets worse as you get up the age groups.....most refs have common sense, they just want to get paid and be incident free, you get the odd ref who wants to impact on the game and show he is in control but I'd be most surprised about them wanting to force a suspected injured player back on the court. When my kids went through you could play with four on the court but if you ended up with less than four at domestic level that was the end of the game in most cases if the team leading were the ones with five players, only exception would be a A grade game between the top teams if it was close and the team say with three players were still competitive and had been leading before they had players fouled out.....most uncommon though as most teams would field at least seven players, more likely to happen in the lower ranks where kids were not so keen and didnt rock up and you were left short.
The other way you get left short is with on court punch ups and you lose several players at once being tech fouled out of the game and told to leave the stadium...
Lots of parents think their kid is the next Ben Simmons, you see it all the time, makes me laugh when I hear AFL players say they chose football over basketball....please....go on some of the club trips to the States it an eye opener on how many gifted players are out there and how difficult it is for an Aus kid to make it.
When the average NBL player makes around 50K a year if they are lucky it tells you not to have too many expectations and to let your kids enjoy the game rather than thinking they are the next big thing and they can have a pro career, I remember one of the fathers at my sons club begging the coach at a Montana College for a basketball scholarship after the game.....and having to accept being told your son isnt good enough and its not like Montana was any pinnacle for basketball in the USA. It was a fun trip but some parents just got carried away and wanted to come back to Aus and say my son had a basketball scholarship in the USA.
Do you really want your kid attending a school where they carry weapons in a cowboy state of America.....? the NBA is a bit like WWF...its all about one on one highlight reel stuff and its creeping into Aus basketball where dunks and three pointers from the cheap seats are more important than running plays and good defense....it breeds players like Chris Goulding from Melb United but doesnt do much for club level basketball and keeping average kids in the game..