Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 1 2022 Post Game Permutations (Read 5064 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 1 2022 Post Game Permutations

Reply #30
Best bit was watching Riewoldt hardly getting a touch. I'm sick of that bloke bobbing up and kicking 3 or 4. Good job by Weiters and co.

The tigers looked a lot like last year. They get their game going and look unbeatable again but don't seem to be able to maintain the rage when they get some stiff resistance. Good sign for us that we pushed through instead of being pushed over.

Perhaps my favourite bit was in the presser and the tone Vossy took when he said we wanted more than one win. I need to watch it again to recall exactly what he said but i know i liked it. Little bit of killer is what we've needed for a long time.

Reply #31
Discipline. Intensity. Persistence. Team.

When was the last time a quality opponent had their foot on our throat (4gls down late in the game) and we removed the foot and jammed it up their collective clackers?
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #32
Discipline. Intensity. Persistence. Team.

When was the last time a quality opponent had their foot on our throat (4gls down late in the game) and we removed the foot and jammed it up their collective clackers?
^ this.

Yes I was still nervous with 5.30 to go but it felt different. It felt good! It felt like we weren’t reliant wholly on Cripps to drag us over the line.

Finally the middle have some strength.

Dare I sayare we set now - back sorted a few years ago, forwards set more recently bar the small forward question which Durdin seems to have come in and made a mark already… and now our midfield!?

Well done recruiters.

Love the ball in Saad’s hands, guy does not stop. McG seems reinvigorated and less flying for nothing. A few others needing to do more but came good at the right time.

Was so proud last night. It’s been a long haul to finally break that crapty first round losing streak 👏🏽 

Reply #33
^ this.

Yes I was still nervous with 5.30 to go but it felt different. It felt good! It felt like we weren’t reliant wholly on Cripps to drag us over the line.

Finally the middle have some strength.

Dare I sayare we set now - back sorted a few years ago, forwards set more recently bar the small forward question which Durdin seems to have come in and made a mark already… and now our midfield!?

Well done recruiters.

Love the ball in Saad’s hands, guy does not stop. McG seems reinvigorated and less flying for nothing. A few others needing to do more but came good at the right time.

Was so proud last night. It’s been a long haul to finally break that crapty first round losing streak 👏🏽

Being Carlton, we were all nervous, even when 4 goals up with 60 seconds to go...haha.

Reply #34
I can't remember a more dominant contested midfield win than last night, we only had 4 mids rotating through the centre bounces for the whole night and between them they had 121 possessions, 48 contested, 26 clearances and 6 goals. The way they played together was really something to watch, seemed to know where each other was, or supposed to be, no panicked disposals, held on to the ball and found the right outlet. Huge tick for the coaches.
I know it's only round 1 but signs are there. 

Reply #35
So many commentators highlighting our two new mids... but my eyes saw three new mids, the third being M. Kennedy.

And I hope Pitto gets some kudos - deserved.

Reply #36
Loved seeing the players connecting with supporters after the game, though I did hope that all players gave their hands a collective sanitizing wash after this.

Reply #37
Saad’s ability to kick across his body and hit a target 40-50 metres away is uncanny.

Bruce Andrew would be horrified at Saad’s technique but would have to admit that it’s effective.

Saad’s pass to Cripps for a goal was a lucky shank ... but we’ll happily take it.

I wasn’t that keen on adding Saad to our list but he has become a crucial piece of the puzzle.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #38
Saad’s ability to kick across his body and hit a target 40-50 metres away is uncanny.

Bruce Andrew would be horrified at Saad’s technique but would have to admit that it’s effective.

Saad’s pass to Cripps for a goal was a lucky shank ... but we’ll happily take it.

I wasn’t that keen on adding Saad to our list but he has become a crucial piece of the puzzle.
He just has the composure and work rate which we needed. I love watching gallop away with ball in hand, it’s nice to start feeling confident in a players ability consistently rather than watch behind your hands.

Did we miss Jones last night?

Reply #39
He just has the composure and work rate which we needed. I love watching gallop away with ball in hand, it’s nice to start feeling confident in a players ability consistently rather than watch behind your hands.

Not with the Govinator seeing the footy like a beach ball. Couple of his disposals were utterly sublime.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #40
So many commentators highlighting our two new mids... but my eyes saw three new mids, the third being M. Kennedy.

And I hope Pitto gets some kudos - deserved.

Kennedy has really come of age and fulfilled all expectations last night.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #41

I had to laugh in the post match interview... Docherty asked about McGovern and talking about high risk, high reward type stuff. He said they just had to be patient and be prepared to mop up when it didn't go MM's  way. I thought that they could have been talking about Jones.

Reply #42
Great win, especially the ultra-dominant last quarter where we did not lose one centre clearance.  Amazing, the game is so much easier when it starts in your half of the ground.

Interestingly, Richmond supporters around me were leaving long before I was sure we were home.  I think the Tiger goose is cooked.

I will just mention two things

(1) We need some leg speed in the back half.  When Bolton had the ball, we looked like statues.  Stocker?

(2) Too many times, Harry, TDK and Charlie were flying for the same mark.  We need Ash Hansen to get some better co-operation happening.  All three of them are good enough below their knees to take turns flying and have at least one at ground level.   Of course, improved delivery into the F50 would help.

Doesn't it just make the weekend that much sweeter when you already have a win under your belt?

This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #43
Best bit was watching Riewoldt hardly getting a touch. I'm sick of that bloke bobbing up and kicking 3 or 4. Good job by Weiters and co.

The tigers looked a lot like last year. They get their game going and look unbeatable again but don't seem to be able to maintain the rage when they get some stiff resistance. Good sign for us that we pushed through instead of being pushed over.

Perhaps my favourite bit was in the presser and the tone Vossy took when he said we wanted more than one win. I need to watch it again to recall exactly what he said but i know i liked it. Little bit of killer is what we've needed for a long time.
Reiwoldt broke his thumb, they also lost Prestia who I think had 10 possies in the 1st quarter when they were firing so things probably fell into place for us but thats the luck of the game and its usually us on the receiving end of misfortune so we deserve a bit of luck.

Reply #44

Haha!!  Might need some form of explanation for our 'younger contributors'!!