Skip to main content
Topic: JLT 2018 - Carlton v Hawthorn (Sat 10th Feb) (Read 36469 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JLT 2018 - Carlton v Hawthorn (Sat 10th Feb)

Reply #135
I did not notice any Hawks B graders in the middle. They had Burgoyne, Mitchell and O'Meara playing full games in the middle. They were there all out trying to win that game with little experimentation from what I could tell.

You wish! ;D

Don't get me wrong we looked OK, but it's wildly optimistic to think the Dawks midfield went hard for four quarters.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #136
Crips had 29 possessions, but they were almost all handballs.
Murphy had 23, again a lot of handballs.

Weitering had 26 disposals and 12 marks. Jones has 17. The Hawthorn tall forwards did nothing!
Kennedy had 20: 10 kicks and 10 handballs.

Our tall forwards did nothing either. Was not a great night for ball handling or high marking.

Reply #137
Probably the best game I can remember Levi playing. Looks much fitter to me and was the dominant big man on the ground in my eyes. I had him BOG on my first pass watching it, I will see if I feel the same after the replay

Yes I agree about Levi, but I had Weitering BoG.

In regard to Levi, it's hard to tell how hard 30 year old blokes with nothing to prove like McEvoy and Murphy are really going in the JLT! For example, would Burgoyne ever kick 5 behinds in the real season! But Levi dominated Schoenmakers, which is good because they are much more likely to be matched in the real season.

I'd reckon the old blokes would do their very best to smash a kid in the pre-season, because that gives them a psychological advantage. But they have very little to gain by going hard against a ten year opponent.

I liked Levi's work rate, he was deep in defence and pushing forward, so he must be fitter.

The best thing to take out of the JLT is when a kid like Pickett makes a senior player look like a goose, the senior player doesn't want the kid to gain confidence under any circumstance!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #138
Have not seen it yet, hopefully find time on Sun. Always good to beat the Hawks and hopefully the coach saw what he was looking for and achieved what he wanted out of this hit out. We certainly practiced dealing a sharp blow (3q) and holding on for the win which looks like it could possibly be our mo this year?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #139
I'll tell Shiels and Rioil, sucks to be them!

I suppose Birchall and Langford just make up the numbers.

They're all injured. Best available team was on the park. Not my fault their list is Dad's Army and can't even make it through preseason. Throughout the season their injury list is only getting worse - not better. Burgoyne is 36 - if he plays more than half the year he'll be doing well and he is easily their best player.

Reply #140
Throughout the season their injury list is only getting worse - not better.

I'll tell Nthmond as well, can we turn back time a sort that out retrospectively?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #142
Ha Ha Ha, it's JLT and he's a 30 year old A-Grader in no danger of losing his spot!

I agree that Murphy does of course play, but the A-Grader label might be a bit of a stretch.

Reply #144
Obviously a flower power conspiracy...

Yes, I looked under my tinfoil hat and found this had been written out as a Nostradamus Prophecy back in 1832!

Don't tell anyone! :o

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/carlton-claim-another-pre-season-scalp-20180310-p4z3sw.html

Thomas best, laughable....

Hang on, I feel another prediction coming on.....!

Thomas gets 25 possessions, kicks three goals, and Flyboy calls for his de-listing!

I might have to take this show on the road, I could be the new Uri Geller!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #145
You keep sniping away.

if you think Daisy was our best you're short a few marbles. Simply put.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #146
You keep sniping away.

if you think Daisy was our best you're short a few marbles. Simply put.

Daisy's probably the only one of two or three players who put in four quarters, and he'd clearly be among the best.

The BoG isn't so clear we can name a specific player, or rule anyone of the better players out, unless you are being totally unreasonable!

btw., If you read the threads I had Weitering BoG, but Daisy played very well!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #147
I'll tell Nthmond as well, can we turn back time a sort that out retrospectively?

How many 30+ players were Richmond trying to milk the last drops out of last year?

Not a one.

Reply #148
Between you and Flyboy I better give up making predictions, you're much better at it!

Plus I worry about your math, Langford is 25, Shiels 26, Rioli 28 and Birchall 30.

We'd probably take all four in a heartbeat, maybe Langford is the only questionable one, but then again we still have Kerridge, Graham and Lamb, and we've added Mullett, Lang and Shaw! I'd have Langford ahead of them all!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #149
Who was best?

Probably wasn't daisy but I did like his solid tackling tonight. This remains our biggest weakness at this point... not helped by our skipper.

Certainly wasn't weit who looked a bit panicky all game.

I'd say Cripps. 28 and a goal but counting against him - 1 tackle! WTF!

Ed Curnow can't be picked on this form as much as I love him. There is just too much competition now and he can't kick or handball to his own team.