Skip to main content
Topic: JLT 2018 - Carlton v Hawthorn (Sat 10th Feb) (Read 36392 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JLT 2018 - Carlton v Hawthorn (Sat 10th Feb)

Reply #165
That was Levi's best ruck effort against a reasonable opponent, even excluding them running Schoenmakers against him a fair bit.

Ignoring his opponent, he actually hit some targets with taps and followed up his work with some shepherds and body work. I'd like him to apply a few tackles when rucking.

Agree Levis ruck work looked measured. As though he's taken on some good tuition and is putting it into practice.  Impressed from a player development view. We haven't been able to say that for a while.  Although it's not a big gain, if all players regardless of skill level, improve a little in several area, we're harder to play against.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #166
As long as we keep in mind it's JLT, the competition where Jack Watts kicked 6 straight!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #167
As long as we keep in mind it's JLT, the competition where Jack Watts kicked 6 straight!

Indeed, just jlt.
For mine I'm interested in our performance relative not to other teams per se, but to our previous years. On that measure at least, there are definate signs of progress. Obviously our youngsters will be inconsistent this year, and tire as season passes. Nonetheless we look to be headed in the right direction.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #168
Always good to beat Hawthorn even if it is only JLT.

Daisy and Weitering both had great games.
Murphy and Cripps both had very good second halfs.
Best all round I've seen from Levi too.

Plenty to like about the whole game. We will win more games than a lot of people think this season.
I reckon we could finish around 10th - 12th on the ladder in 2018  with the big push coming in 2019.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #169
Another tick from me - depth of F50 entries. At the point when we had 9 goals on the board, 4 of those goals were from entries that ended up about 15m from goal. Our F50 entries have been poor and too shallow for ages, one of my big gripes. Hopefully this is now being addressed.

Reply #170
A lot to like. We seemed a little lethargic in the first half. Coming from behind to win was full of merit.

Concerned with Murph and Cuningham, when there was real heat and struggle they were invisible.

Especially impressed with Meat and Lamb, both imposed themselves on the game - really like how Lamb has got it over Sicily, the swine! And Meat is certainly no turkey in the ruck. Agree with RR that Lamb looks quicker but needs to hold his chest marks. I like his mongrel and physicality.

ZF to me took the next step. You can really see that this kid could be something quite special. Growing in confidence.

Great attitude after half time.

And like our hit out against the Aints, we seem a lot more efficient. Stats don't flatter us but a winning score is on the board, reminds me of when Wallsy took the reins at CFC.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #171
Getting sick of Huddo's calling, he's becoming more anti-Carlton by the day.

Pretty much every time we scored it was about some poor Dawks mistake, he called the whole game from a Dawks perspective which is odd for a Geelong supporter!

They were all very anti Carlton till it became obvious we weren't going away.

Once we hit the lead and the Dawks started slowing they gave a few faint praises to a few of ours....

My positives - in no particular order:

Daisy - did his job well, hope he keeps it up.
Lamb - a niggling machine, Siciliy lost the plot on a few occasions!
Byrne - looks better and better - and quick - every week.
Weiters - solid first serious hit out. Wish he would kick long on the rebound though.
Pickett - knows he belonsgs now, still cameos but the opposition need to show his serious respect.
Fish - Q1 was outstanding, the rest ok but he stepped up when many others were missing in H1.
Levi - BOG for mine. Stepped up when Special K was forced off.
Kennedy - looking better with every game. Tough match up when he moves forward like Cripps.
The WIN - never gave up, lots of horrible turnovers but we still found a way to win. Respect.

tHE BAD.

1. mURPHY - is it new Dad syndrome? he looked slow, lazy and almot lethargic.
2. Plow, Marchbank, Simmo - played on the whole liked they's shared a big reefer pre game.
3. SOJ - finding it hard to get into games. When selectors need to choose between the likes of SOJ, Lamb, Garlett, Wright, Pickett and Daisy who gets the few spots?
4. The midfield in H1 - was missing in action and entirely absent when we turned it over. That said we turned it over so frequently and so close to goal, not much anyone could have done?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #172
I just watched the highlights package. Definitely a tale of two halves. Too many unmarked Hawks players in the 1st half inside our D50. Real contrast in the 2nd half. Barely any space for them at all.

The tackle count and I50 count are worries for mine. We won't always be so efficient with our scoring. Simply must generate more scoring chances. Simply bad kicking for goal that cost the Hawks. Their general field play was much better than ours in the 1st half, but evened up after that. Good fightback, but still enormous amounts of work to do.

Reply #173
A lot to like, but the Hawks really should have won that by 4-5 goals... i like that we are making a real effort to move it forward quickly, but we are going to get punished against the better teams for errors... a few too many of them last night given rd 1 is not far away. 

Reply #174
A lot to like, but the Hawks really should have won that by 4-5 goals... i like that we are making a real effort to move it forward quickly, but we are going to get punished against the better teams for errors... a few too many of them last night given rd 1 is not far away.

Should have, could have....DIDN'T.

Learning to win when you have dirty days is all part of the curve....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #175
I'll take the victories any way we can get them, but I would much prefer they were based on something of substance, like superior skills, effort, execution, coaching etc., and not just sweating on the opposition having a bad hair day or injuries to their players etc.

Reply #176
We played like D graders for a half of footy (maybe by design).

18 tackles be a senior team in a half is worse than deplorable.

Yet we won. Should they have kicked straighter? Of course, but bad kicking is bad footy. And we won't play a half of footy as bad as H1 last night again in 2018 imo.

Need to get SPS up to speed too. He weaves through traffic like it's non existent.

Amused with Fox Sports' take on the Hawks this year:

HAWTHORN

This shapes as an interesting season to be a Hawks fan. Having started 2017 in disastrous fashion, the club actually performed quite well throughout the back-end of the campaign. But can they sustain that across an entire season and work themselves back into finals contention? Alastair Clarkson’s squad was decimated by injury last year, forcing him to move the magnets. But with key defenders back, Jack Gunston could return to the forward line. However, expect James Sicily to remain down back. It’ll make Hawthorn a much stronger side, as will having a fully-fit Jaeger O’Meara throughout the season. One thing’s for sure — never write-off Clarko.

Range: 6-10
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #177
I liked this!

In the midfield there are questions over who exactly will fill the massive hole left by Bryce Gibbs’ departure.

Brendon Bolton told Fox Footy at halftime on Saturday night the answer wasn’t anyone in particular — but then went immediately on to point out the recruitment of Matthew Kennedy.

The Giant-turned-Blue, which we believe is now an official Census designation, seemed an ideal recruit during the trade period — a young (20 years old) inside midfield bull.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/live-afl-preseason-jlt-community-series-week-3-hawthorn-v-carlton/news-story/ac14b809dc342dafc81d9ac8d90dc185
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #178
I liked this!

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/live-afl-preseason-jlt-community-series-week-3-hawthorn-v-carlton/news-story/ac14b809dc342dafc81d9ac8d90dc185

Kennedy allows Cripps to play forward which is going to win us some games....Fisher too has picked up some of the slack from Gibbs...reckon Gibbs did us a favour going and we
will be much better for it as more players run through the middle....you add Samo and Dow and its a better mix.
Murphy's role has also been reduced and the old way of doing things in the midfield and relying on him and Gibbs plus Cripps only is over, we can be more attacking and only need
the one tagger in Ed Curnow...

Reply #179
...... we can be more attacking and only need the one tagger in Ed Curnow...

I think we've only ever needed one tagger, it was the lack of freedom from certain coach that destroyed player flair and confidence!

Like I've written before a game plan that primarily states, Stop Him, Stop Him, Stop Him, Stop Him, Stop Him, Stop Him and Stop Him is a dead set loss!
The Force Awakens!