Skip to main content
Topic: Rd. 5 - Pre Game Thread - Blues V Dockers (Read 48870 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd. 5 - Pre Game Thread - Blues V Dockers

Reply #31
I am not breaking my neck to see Jones back this week. Yes he's had a couple of very good performances but he was very poor in all his previous senior games - we must not forget that too quickly. I would like to see him maintain his improvement for a bit longer in the NBs. I would, be surprised, based on BB's response to the question of Jones, to see him back this week.

However, if he does return I think it would be at the expense of Kreuz, who is not in his best ruck form and provides precious little in terms of forward power, either marking or kicking for goal, atm. I think both Phillips and Casboult will be retained.

Rowe and Buckley may be looking shaky though with Armfield and Everitt possibly coming back to provide more F50 pressure and more reliable goalkicking power respectively.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #32
Jones has earnt a call up. No question.

Yes but he also earned the status of "never to be picked again". Well earned.

I'd rather we picked our best team which would include Kreuze and Jaksch.

Drop Phillips and leave Jones where he should be. VFL.

Need Walker back.

Need Everitt back like we need a hole in the head.

Reply #33
I'd play Jones and Jaksch and use Casboult as the second ruckman around the ground....agree Freo on a dry track will probably require some more pace but I think we need to kick goals to win and I'd be using an extra tall down forward rather than just going with Casboult alone..
Please let this happen, we need them to have an extended stint in the 1's and see if they can get some confidence and actually feel like they belong.

If Jones, Jaksch, Everitt, Walker, Levi (2nd ruck), Sumner and Lamb can start to create some synergy and spark and gain confidence as an offensive unit and perform well together its a good start to working towards kicking a winning score. Throw in C Curnow, Wright and Kerridge as back-up plus McKay and SoSoS on slow roast then the future is starting to look a little brighter.

Unfortunately we are stuck in the life after Fev/Waite/Betts stage but if those blokes can click and start to work together as a team and look after each other then we are on the right track, it all takes time.

Go Blues

Reply #34
turn gibbs into robbie Gray.

Tell him his aim is to kick 3+ goals a game from mid/HFF.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #35
If we're going to drop one of kreuzer or Phillips and use Casboult as the second ruck this is the week to try it. If they use Taberner as their second ruck again Casboult would walk right through him. Even Jones could share the part time ruck duties and beat Taberner!

Could also be a week that we don't need Rowe as he won't have a match up - the dockers just don't have a big KP forward that is a threat.

Reply #36
If we're going to drop one of kreuzer or Phillips and use Casboult as the second ruck this is the week to try it. If they use Taberner as their second ruck again Casboult would walk right through him. Even Jones could share the part time ruck duties and beat Taberner!

Could also be a week that we don't need Rowe as he won't have a match up - the dockers just don't have a big KP forward that is a threat.

Is Pav out? If not we'll probably find a way to make him relevant!

As for KP forwards, they have a bunch of Cripps sized mids that can do OK resting forward if they are not respected and some lightning fast small forwards.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #37

As for KP forwards, they have a bunch of Cripps sized mids that can do OK resting forward if they are not respected and some lightning fast small forwards.

No Mundy....

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-04-20/david-mundy-to-miss-one-more-week-with-calf-strain
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #38

We'll know tonight but I'm not aware of anything stopping him lining up so surely they'll play him to maximise the chance of beating us. Pav isn't that tall though so Rowe wouldn't be much good on him. I'd be content to let White or Plowman take him.

Barlow and Fyfe are the only larger mids that they've been resting forward. Barlow has been a dud (especially in supercouch!) so its really just Fyfe that needs to be stopped and he's at his most dangerous when playing as a mid who pushes forward while in the midfield rather than playing as a dedicated forward. Dunno who our midfield match up will be for him? Ed Curnow is too short and I'd like to say Gibbs, but well he's Gibbs. Guess the 'team defence' will have to sort that one out.

Buckley, if played back, and Byrne are reasonable match ups for Ballantyne and Walters with Simpsons an option to rotate too.

On paper we match up ok, but I still think they'll take this one by about 5 goals because they will work harder and move the ball better on the bigger ground. You can also count on the western influence on the umpires who seem to rather dislike us this year.

Reply #39
They have had a tough run having played the Dogs, Suns, Eagles and North. Expect Freo to smash us and then there will be a lot of pressure for us to beat Essendon.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #40
Yup I'm expecting them to really punish us. We may be lucky to score 5 goals.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #41
Maybe im just an optimist but I reckon we can beat Freo.

We traditionally play well out west and Hawthorn seem to have a good way with these sides from the West.  We are a poor mans hawthorn at the minute, so we might actually do better than expected and of the two of us, I would think that we were tracking better than Freo in terms of knowing what we are trying to do, we just stuff it up every so often and in time should execute things better.

Our biggest concern are their smalls imho.  Small forwards have been cutting us up for a long time, and I reckon that Walters and Ballantyne will cause us more grief than any of their talls.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #42
Maybe im just an optimist but I reckon we can beat Freo.

We traditionally play well out west and Hawthorn seem to have a good way with these sides from the West.  We are a poor mans hawthorn at the minute, so we might actually do better than expected and of the two of us, I would think that we were tracking better than Freo in terms of knowing what we are trying to do, we just stuff it up every so often and in time should execute things better.

Our biggest concern are their smalls imho.  Small forwards have been cutting us up for a long time, and I reckon that Walters and Ballantyne will cause us more grief than any of their talls.
Indeed. Their small forwards usually have a picnic against us.
I would like to see OURS have a decent game.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #43
Gibbs best games have been off the HBF on larger opponents like Goodes or Darling.

But that is part of our problem, we have too many blokes who play their best football in defense where they do not have to be in the focus of an opponent. Further most of our better defenders lack pace, they cannot deal with the likes of Freo's small forwards.

As I see it, blokes like Gibbs, Buckley and Walker are now left competing for the same role. Walker is close to the end, Gibbs struggles with agility and Buckley is as yet unproven. In the last week Plowman has shown he makes at least one of them redundant as he plays small and tall, is mobile, agile and young. Their skin is probably saved by the fact that Simmo is close to the end.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #44
Reckon the last 3/4  of 2014 was Gibbs' best - in the guts and forward rather than following.