Skip to main content
Topic: Rd. 5 - Pre Game Thread - Blues V Dockers (Read 49922 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd. 5 - Pre Game Thread - Blues V Dockers

Reply #45
They have had a tough run having played the Dogs, Suns, Eagles and North. Expect Freo to smash us and then there will be a lot of pressure for us to beat Essendon.

I agree that Freo will win easily. Don't know about the pressure to beat Essendon - from whom ? Erudite, knowledgeable and sensible CFC supporters know that Essendon's off season recruiting was about short term survival / competitiveness. As you yourself have stated, their list is better than ours at the moment.

No pressure from me. 

Reply #46
Reckon the last 3/4  of 2014 was Gibbs' best - in the guts and forward rather than following.

Agree that Gibbs peak performance was statistically better on-ball, but I am not sure that is where he was consistent, and I wouldn't necessarily think peak statistical performance means best football. A lot of those high ranking games were mid-field shootouts. But that 2014 game on Goodes is a prime example, not a midfield shootout, he stopped a significant opponent and won plenty of football in the process.

Did MMs stop start game plan suit Gibbs better?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #47
The media, they have left us alone so far this year but lose to the bombers and all of a sudden we'll be reading about us not being able to win a single game.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #48
The media, they have left us alone so far this year but lose to the bombers and all of a sudden we'll be reading about us not being able to win a single game.

This is certainly the case, that some of the media are ignoring us, but only some as others are laying the ground work now. I don't understand why hardcore supporters cannot see this coming. By seasons end if we lose to teams like EFC we are the ones in the hot-seat not EFC, Freo, Collingwood or Nthmond.

I'm worried about the behavior of the entrenched board members in that circumstance. They have a history of finger-pointing, picking on the little guy to save themselves, and they won't find anyone littler in the AFL system at that high level than Bolton.

It will be a pity if we cannot get our list sorted to win a few games, but if we don't win at least one in the coming weeks we may not win at all! Ultimately that will hurt memberships, sponsorships, financially and psychologically.

We are not in line for the same sorts of concessions that GWS or GC got off the AFL, but we are in the same position they found themselves in a few years back.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #49
This is certainly the case, that some of the media are ignoring us, but only some as others are laying the ground work now. I don't understand why hardcore supporters cannot see this coming. By seasons end if we lose to teams like EFC we are the ones in the hot-seat not EFC, Freo, Collingwood or Nthmond.

I'm worried about the behavior of the entrenched board members in that circumstance. They have a history of finger-pointing, picking on the little guy to save themselves, and they won't find anyone littler in the AFL system at that high level than Bolton.

It will be a pity if we cannot get our list sorted to win a few games, but if we don't win at least one in the coming weeks we may not win at all! Ultimately that will hurt memberships, sponsorships, financially and psychologically.

We are not in line for the same sorts of concessions that GWS or GC got off the AFL, but we are in the same position they found themselves in a few years back.

Look we need to win a game or two for the reasons you have stated and if we lose to EFC then the feral masses will want the coach's head but those with some understanding of our position know the reality
of where we are at and that 2016 is not about wins but development and finding players for our next core group.
I am sure we can sneak a couple of wins but I wont be putting my house on it at this stage...the coach is on the right track and its about the journey and not the destination at this stage..

Reply #51
the process?

The process at the moment is education...when we get all the pieces to the puzzle ie required players to fill or the gaps we can work on the method/game plan.
I wouldnt be bothered over complicating things at the moment, some of our players are struggling with the basics..if we had 40 Weiterings/Cripps on the list then we could skip
process 101 and move to 301 but thats dreamimg...

I think Bolton himself admitted in a post match presser a week or two go all he can do is educate this season and look to cut and draft more players at season end...he knows
he need another big cull to get the list in shape..

Reply #52
The process at the moment is education...when we get all the pieces to the puzzle ie required players to fill or the gaps we can work on the method/game plan.
I wouldnt be bothered over complicating things at the moment, some of our players are struggling with the basics..if we had 40 Weiterings/Cripps on the list then we could skip

I think Bolton himself admitted in a post match presser a week or two go all he can do is educate this season and look to cut and draft more players at season end...he knows

The temptation for sure would be there to try for a reassuring win with a different game plan and team selection, and I must admit it would be nice to savour that sweet taste again. However, I think BB will keep going with his current approach for the time being. There are potentially big dividends if we can only hold the line with it, but it will be hard to keep up morale if we keep getting beaten week in week out.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #53
The temptation for sure would be there to try for a reassuring win with a different game plan and team selection, and I must admit it would be nice to savour that sweet taste again. However, I think BB will keep going with his current approach for the time being. There are potentially big dividends if we can only hold the line with it, but it will be hard to keep up morale if we keep getting beaten week in week out.

This is it..does the board, CEO, Pres, sponsors etc understand rebuilding or will we sacrifice development for short term corporate gain...you regain lost members/sponsors when you are successful.....success is repeated finals appearances, not winning 3 games rather than 1...there has to be some pain on the journey...

Reply #54

Perhaps you're right. It could either way - the choice for the wooden spoon was either us or the Bombers. I've heard some in the media discussing the small improvements they see in us, so I guess as long as they keep seeing that...........

The expectations were very low at the start of the season, but of course as EB says, there will always be a media and supporter contingent who will whinge.

Reply #55

I think you missed his attempt to take the piss.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #56
I think you missed his attempt to take the piss.

I responded in good faith but you never know on this forum these days.....I leave the piss taking, baiting and windup's to those who are good at it.... ;)

Reply #57
Freo by 45 points

Reply #58
 Rain forecast for Freo on Sunday :(
Does this help ?
Any help appreciated

Reply #59
I agree that Freo will win easily. Don't know about the pressure to beat Essendon - from whom ? Erudite, knowledgeable and sensible CFC supporters know that Essendon's off season recruiting was about short term survival / competitiveness. As you yourself have stated, their list is better than ours at the moment.

No pressure from me.

It would be the worst start to the season in our history. It basically starts the ball rolling.