Skip to main content
Topic: If Not BB, Who? (Read 60533 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: bolton

Reply #375
I thought this rebuild was all about doing things differently ?

We did do things differently in terms of not getting an established coach or favourite son... we took a punt on an untried bloke after a (supposed) rigorous interview process (which means little if the questions were ordinary asked by inexperienced individuals). (Though in 1965 we broke many, many molds recruiting this gun Captain from the Dees to be our senior coach - we were about 3rd bottom when he came, he had us playing finals footy 2 years later and winning a premiership the year after).

As far as hanging in there with a bloke, well we hung in with Pagan for 5 years... so, to break that mold we have to keep BB, regardless of continued failure, for at least 6 or 7 years.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Re: If Not BB, Who?

Reply #376
If Buckley the uber perfectionist can let go, I'm sure Bolton can, especially if that's what it takes to keep his job. He's young enough, he's smart enough........

And if that's his biggest problem, then we're sweet.

I sincerely hope you're right. He'd better move quickly, very quickly... those drums we can hear aint coming from Gilligan's Island.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #377
I sincerely hope you're right. He'd better move quickly, very quickly... those drums we can hear aint coming from Gilligan's Island.

I sincerely hope I'm right as well, and not because of ego.

I still maintain that the end of the 2020 season is the time to start a proper discussion, not before.

Reply #378
Members/Supporters are like shareholders, they want a return on their time and money....yep you can leave it but thats
what the Elliott years were about, ignoring joe average and getting them to swallow every line of BS that came out of
Princes Park. The difference with us and the big clubs like a Geelong is that they stop, think and reset, we just keep doing the same thing
waiting for it to turn around, waiting for other clubs to drop off, waiting for Godot to turn up.

Nope. We did, and are doing, exactly that (ie stop, think and reset, probably for the first time in our history). Those in charge now have gone through a due process with every appointment, trade and draft pick. Unlike the scatter gun approach and male appendage comparing of days gone by. Things will go wrong, they always do but it wont be for a lack of planning, research and hard work. That is what has given me the absolute s h i t s pre this regime.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #379
Well I reckon Godot's got till the end of this season to turn up and show that he knows the right road to the promised land or we 'll be calling another uber.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #380
Nope. We did, and are doing, exactly that (ie stop, think and reset, probably for the first time in our history). Those in charge now have gone through a due process with every appointment, trade and draft pick. Unlike the scatter gun approach and male appendage comparing of days gone by. Things will go wrong, they always do but it wont be for a lack of planning, research and hard work. That is what has given me the absolute s h i t s pre this regime.

My point is when things did go wrong the Cats did a review on the whole operation not just the coach and reset what they were doing, we need similar IMO. It isnt working and after 4 years we shouldnt be
bottom 4 as it seems to be panning out As Geelong showed its doesnt mean sacking the coach just changing the course and doing things different, changing roles, delegating different jobs etc etc the club seem to have trouble admitting its not working. This is my problem with where we are...admit failure and reset the business, happens every day in the business world and turn arounds are common place.
Or do we keep drifting along the same way for the rest of the season?

Reply #381
My point is when things did go wrong the Cats did a review on the whole operation not just the coach and reset what they were doing, we need similar IMO. It isnt working and after 4 years we shouldnt be
bottom 4 as it seems to be panning out As Geelong showed its doesnt mean sacking the coach just changing the course and doing things different, changing roles, delegating different jobs etc etc the club seem to have trouble admitting its not working. This is my problem with where we are...admit failure and reset the business, happens every day in the business world and turn arounds are common place.
Or do we keep drifting along the same way for the rest of the season?

I think the review wouldn't reveal much though at the moment.

I think that they knew this was a likely outcome, with a bit of luck we would see more improvement by now (i.e. Kreuzer and Docherty playing 5 games between them from last year to this year is not an anticipated outcome and probably has a bigger impace on the W/L column than anything else).

If at the end of next year, things are samish, then I think you would rightly find where its fallen over in a much better fashion.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #382
I think the review wouldn't reveal much though at the moment.

I think that they knew this was a likely outcome, with a bit of luck we would see more improvement by now (i.e. Kreuzer and Docherty playing 5 games between them from last year to this year is not an anticipated outcome and probably has a bigger impace on the W/L column than anything else).

If at the end of next year, things are samish, then I think you would rightly find where its fallen over in a much better fashion.

I agree. There's not many on here who think the end of 2020 is the "right" time to do such a review - you, me, kruddler, maybe a couple of others. Most everyone else thinks it's crazy and way too generous.

Reply #383
I agree. There's not many on here who think the end of 2020 is the "right" time to do such a review - you, me, kruddler, maybe a couple of others. Most everyone else thinks it's crazy and way too generous.

When we first went down this road, I thought to myself, with a bit of luck we might play finals this season.

Kreuzer and Docherty out made me write off our chances this year.

I still had 2020 as the year we went from making up the numbers to being truly competitive and earning a finals berth on the back of our strategy, and I see no reason to think that wont be the case (losses included).

Come end of season, we will likely recruit a better than average target (not a Setterfield, more the Shiel variety) and will really start to kick on next year.

You start to think of Dow with 50 games under his belt, Walsh in his second season, Weitering on the back of career best year heading into year 5, Mckay on the back of his 5th and career best season, Fisher in year 3.

IMHO, we might throw a future 1st rounder, and our 1st rounder from Adelaide to GWS to land Coniglio and they might go for that.  You bring him to us next year, and add another year of the forwardline working together then we are simply missing a small forward and games played together to really kick on, and history tells us that small forwards with goal sense are probably the easiest cherry to find to add to your cake.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #384
Thry, that's a similar scenario to what I was hoping for, but it does require a few things falling our way, the two most important being the right coach and minimal injuries.

Reply #385

I don't think it's crazy or generous....I do think it's unrealistic.
But I've been surprised at the level of support up until now.
That's a credit to the salesmen.
Whether they eventually prove to be snake oil salesmen or true visionaries will be known down the track.

Reply #386
I don't think it's crazy or generous....I do think it's unrealistic.
But I've been surprised at the level of support up until now.
That's a credit to the salesmen.
Whether they eventually prove to be snake oil salesmen or true visionaries will be known down the track.

Also Lods, bear in mind that a detailed and top to bottom review could conclude that we need to continue with BB! A review should not be a foregone conclusion if done properly and honestly, rather than with a particular outcome in mind.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #387
Also Lods, bear in mind that a detailed and top to bottom review could conclude that we need to continue with BB! A review should not be a foregone conclusion if done properly and honestly, rather than with a particular outcome in mind.

Quite right
...and surely we shouldn't leave that until the end of next season.

The end of this year would be a more than appropriate time.

Reply #388
We should be having these reviews every year during a "rebuild".
Thats not to say sack him. I think we should stay the course until end of next year as well, but surely constant review is needed in any profession so changes can be made to correct any problems

for what it's worth, even though I think we should wait until end 2020 before deciding whether or not to get rid of BB, I think if we dont win any games in the next 8-10 he may find himself gone.

Reply #389
We should be having these reviews every year during a "rebuild".
Thats not to say sack him. I think we should stay the course until end of next year as well, but surely constant review is needed in any profession so changes can be made to correct any problems

for what it's worth, even though I think we should wait until end 2020 before deciding whether or not to get rid of BB, I think if we dont win any games in the next 8-10 he may find himself gone.

That's kind of the point.
As individuals we all have our own ideas about time frames, and they vary from supporter to supporter.
But in effect there are a whole combination of forces that impact on a decision to replace personnel.

While we might want to wait until the end 2020 is that a feeling that's held by all those in positions of power.
Already there have been replacements for Trigg and McKay, two of the driving forces in the early stages of the rebuild.
Do the new folk share their enthusiasm?
Are all the directors holding firm?
Support is also not fixed in stone and can erode quickly if some of these folk feel (believe) that things aren't really working.

You know what though....
One thing that is pretty well set in stone is that whatever their views, all of them and us supporters and members want what's best for the Carlton Football Club.
Even those acting with a fair bit of self interest want that.
People on here suggesting changes only do so because they believe that's what's best for the club.

It's been a long time since we've all had something we can get behind with most of the doubts about the direction we're taking being erased.
It would be nice to think we could be on that path by the end of the season.

Probably wishful thinking.