Skip to main content
Topic: Stosur vs Sheik 2015 (Read 34846 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Stosur vs Sheik 2015

Reply #90
I can't help but imagine Kyrgios at my age and thinking, "Well, I stuffed that up!"

I expect that is correct, Tomic however will be blaming others until he's buried and perhaps even then on his headstone!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #91
I suspect for most ethnicity doesn't enter into it.

I've lost count of the amount of times I've heard them referred to as un-Australian.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #92
I've lost count of the amount of times I've heard them referred to as un-Australian.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/rudd-hewitt-hicks-are-un-australian/news-story/93d94721b94be7b9f809eae70dd555e7

"PRIME Minister Kevin Rudd has been voted the Un-Australian of the Year 2008, for acting as a perfect gentleman in a New York strip club....
Also making the Zoo Weekly list were Lleyton Hewitt for whingeing, captain of the stranded oil tanker the Pasha Bulker, and Shane Warne for bagging his former team mates.
The Sydney Cricket Ground was also named for serving only mid-strength beer."

On a serious note.

We had a bit of a golden age of sport through the 50's and 60s.
Standards of behaviour were set that subsequent generations of players found it difficult to emulate.
Maybe they weren't as 'golden haired' as we thought but the media coverage was way more limited back then.

It's why we found the on-court behaviour of US players like McEnroe and Connors a bit distasteful although we admired their Tennis skills.
We didn't like it when some of our own, like Hewitt, went down a similar path.

Reply #93
Seriously Lods there is no comparison.

Dawn Fraser said if Bernard and Nick don't like it here they should go back to where they came from.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #94
Seriously Lods there is no comparison.

Dawn Fraser said if Bernard and Nick don't like it here they should go back to where they came from.

Ive heard that one before too, and they don't mean Box Hill where I was born.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #95
Dawn's a bit of a dinosaur....but you're right, no doubt there is some elements of a racist tone in the back of some folks minds.
Quite rightly we defend our own....I'm of Irish decent so my task is even harder ;D

But we have to separate the behaviour from the ethnicity.
Poor behaviour and arrogance should be judged regardless of race, colour, religion etc.
That's what most folk would be making judgements on....not their surnames.

Reply #96
Kyrgios gets a pass for behaving like an idiot on court as he does a lot of work with charity off the court.

https://nkfoundation.com.au/

https://www.playersvoice.com.au/nick-kyrgios-ive-found-my-purpose/#76DAQfJqdLSkWhPH.97

These guys can be whatever you want them to be if you want to see them that way.  Not many are as worried about helping others, and it says more about their character than anything they do playing sport.

He could be so much more if he was more dedicated to his profession, but sometimes you have to just admire someone for simply not taking life too seriously and leaving a legacy that is much bigger than themselves.

Yet a page later this is ignored, and the focus is how he behaves on court.

When was his last blow up again??

Paul Hewson

Reply #97
Yet a page later this is ignored, and the focus is how he behaves on court.

When was his last blow up again??

It wasn't on court but he reacted very poorly to some valid, constructive criticism just a couple of days ago.

It's good that he does charity work and I would hope that all folk in his situation do the same.  However, doing charity work does not entitle one to behave like a tool. 

Perhaps it's the nature of the sport but tennis seems to have more than its share of tools ... as well as some very humble and generous elite athletes.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #98
Big Sammy storms into the doubles' semis....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #99
Big Sammy storms into the doubles' semis....

;D
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #100
It wasn't on court but he reacted very poorly to some valid, constructive criticism just a couple of days ago.

It's good that he does charity work and I would hope that all folk in his situation do the same.  However, doing charity work does not entitle one to behave like a tool. 

Perhaps it's the nature of the sport but tennis seems to have more than its share of tools ... as well as some very humble and generous elite athletes.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/tennis/news/australian-open-nick-kyrgios-roger-rasheed-tweet/1hzi2xgc4h71s16yuaf5w1zicm

Raonic has smashed better players than Kyrgios at this very tournament, and whilst he has things he can improve on, he didnt exactly do a Zverev (who was seeded unlike Kyrgios).

Yep, his preparation wasn't as good as it could have been, and Kyrgios may admit that himself if he were asked, but then we have some anecdotal criticism comparing him to other players on the circuit, rather than comparing himself, to himself.  The measure of a human being isnt how they go compared to others, but rather how willing they are to improve themselves.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/tennis/news/nick-kyrgios-tennis-australian-open-mental-health/9bo1ufo39vxb1hhmembmow3rb

He's set his sights on reaching the top 10 at the end of next year after admitting he battled with some mental health demons.

Probably time for the Aussie media and public to ease up on Kyrgios as his opponent who beat him convincingly but not easily (dropping two service games, and a tie break to lose in straight sets is not uncompetitive) and give him a pass for the rest of this year.

The flogs usually don't care too much about helping others and charities.  Some of them are very egotistical and I think Kyrgios is simply an immature young man who has had some growing up to do.

They can't all be mature youngsters, and they will blow up from time to time because even the pro's have had their moments. 

Paul Hewson

Reply #101
My interest in tennis wained with every growing grunt, take Sharapova while under the pump almost making a parody of herself by effectively screaming at Barty!

All I see now are cheats and spoilt brats, so I no longer chose to tune in, they are almost worse than the serial divers in soccer!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #102
Serena loses from 5-1 down in the third set. And blows 4 match points.

Love it.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #104
Hope Mark Knight rips into her and Oracene doesn't grace our shores again.