Skip to main content

Poll

Pick your best 22 players (22 votes allowed!)

1 - Walker
[ 22 ] (4.4%)
2 - Menzel
[ 18 ] (3.6%)
3 - Murphy
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
4 - Gibbs
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
5 - Judd
[ 5 ] (1%)
6 - Simpson
[ 22 ] (4.4%)
7 - Buckley
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
8 - Kreuzer
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
9 - Cripps
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
10 - Watson
[ 0 ] (0%)
11 - Warnock
[ 0 ] (0%)
12 - Boekhorst
[ 16 ] (3.2%)
13 - Yarran
[ 6 ] (1.2%)
14 - Jones
[ 0 ] (0%)
15 - Docherty
[ 22 ] (4.4%)
16 - Viojo-Rainbow
[ 0 ] (0%)
17 - Rowe
[ 15 ] (3%)
18 - Jaksch
[ 15 ] (3%)
19 - Giles
[ 0 ] (0%)
20 - Holman
[ 7 ] (1.4%)
21 - Sheehan
[ 4 ] (0.8%)
22 - Tutt
[ 1 ] (0.2%)
23 - Henderson
[ 3 ] (0.6%)
24 - Whiley
[ 3 ] (0.6%)
25 - Smith
[ 0 ] (0%)
26 - Foster
[ 0 ] (0%)
27 - Armfield
[ 19 ] (3.8%)
28 - Bell
[ 16 ] (3.2%)
29 - Gowers
[ 0 ] (0%)
30 - Johnson
[ 0 ] (0%)
31 - Dick
[ 1 ] (0.2%)
32 - Graham
[ 20 ] (4%)
33 - Everitt
[ 22 ] (4.4%)
34 - Walsh
[ 1 ] (0.2%)
35 - Curnow
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
36 - Wood
[ 12 ] (2.4%)
37 - Fields
[ 0 ] (0%)
38 - Byrne
[ 7 ] (1.4%)
39 - Thomas
[ 19 ] (3.8%)
40 - Jamison
[ 22 ] (4.4%)
41 - Casboult
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
42 - Tuohy
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
43 - White
[ 14 ] (2.8%)
44 - Carrazzo
[ 6 ] (1.2%)
46 - Ellard
[ 0 ] (0%)
47 - Russell
[ 0 ] (0%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Topic: Pick your best 22 players - Part 8 (Season over - wooden spooners) (Read 118799 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pick your best 22 players - NEW POLL! (pre-season)

Reply #180
@Cookie, the guy coached against us for as long as is relevant. He then had a media role watching 3 games per week and probably more. He had spots on analysis shows so not only could he form his own view, he could get general consensus from experts and fans via talk back and the media.

I can't see how this could be the case.

One common saying that comes out of his mouth is in regards to having too many introverts. That is something that you can't see from the broadcast booth. There would be plenty of others as well. Like why certain players do things despite being asked not too - be that gameplan or breaking curfew.

Reply #181
Or it could simply be that the playing group were not truly united Or following instruction (not all of them).  Given Malthouse relies on everyone pulling together does that also means needing it to occur to succeed?
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #182
@cookie, suspect you're onto something

@kruds I think the introvert thing was well known. Perhaps Mick didn't realize it was as big an issue as he initially thought. Or perhaps he is making it out to be a big deal - Clarkson has said his group is introverted after all. As Mick regularly had off field flair ups at Collingwood, I assume this is neither here nor there as an issue.

@thry if they're not following instructions, that tells me they're not buying the vision. It does highlight the leadership issues though. Pavlich pulled Freo into the Lyon line. Reckon Murphy does that?

Reply #183
Finally did my votes....it's taken me this long to work out my best 22.

Apart from the 'starters'...here is who and how i chose the rest.
I went for team balance and picked in position.

- Curnow got in as our best tagger on the team. Everitt was also in the side, but not as a tagger, more of a winger/ball carrier.
 - Carrazzo is also there, but more as an extra midfielder to give Judd, Murphy and Gibbs a break
 - Tuohy narrowly got the nod over Buckley down back simply because of his AFL ready body by comparison to Buckley and better kicking. Was a toss up though.
 - Jakchs and Jones both got in as our 3rd KPPs down back and up forward. Meaning Watson missed out at both ends. Also squeezed out Docherty who didn't really offer me anything specific.
 - Kreuzer was the only ruckman picked. Casboult to do backup duties.
 - Needed a bigger bodied mid and/or a wrecking ball type player. Instead of choosing Bell i went for a combination of Cripps and White. Partly because i think White offers more to the team, and partly to give Cripps some much needed game time. I think their disposal/decision making is also better than Bells.
 - Finally i was down to picking my 22nd player - essentially my sub. Given i had quite a few taller players in the side already (6KPP's, plus a ruckman as well as Everitt and even White) what i wanted was a quick running type who could make a difference in a short space of time. Give us some much needed run when we (most likely) subbed out a bigger bloke. I was tossing up between Armfield, Boekhorst, Tutt and even Smith. In a decision that took about as long as it took me to pick the other 21 players, i ended up going with Tutt. His AFL ready body got him up over Smith and Boeky and his goal sense got him up over Army.

Final 22..
FB  Tuohy  Jamison  Jaksch
HB Yarran   Rowe  Simpson
C  Walker   Judd   Everitt
HF Jones   Henderson Carrazzo
FF  Thomas  Casboult  Menzel
R  Kreuzer   Murphy   Gibbs
Int Curnow   White  Cripps
Sub  Tutt

EMG.  Docherty Buckley Bell

Reply #184
Good 22 Kruddler.

I think by season's end, Clem will be ahead of Tutt.

Maybe Docherty rather than 2E?

cARROTS in form, ala before that sniper Lonergan hit, is an A grader.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #185
Besides positional changes, I had Wood, Docherty and Bell instead of Kruezer, Tutt and Tuohy.

So pretty close really.

Only went wood die to Kruezer lack of availability and playing time.

Jones sneaks in as the third tall for now... Just. Would consider Boekhurst for run, and play White as the swing man.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #186
I stuffed mine up. Thought it was the team for round 1.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #187
@cookie, suspect you're onto something

@kruds I think the introvert thing was well known. Perhaps Mick didn't realize it was as big an issue as he initially thought. Or perhaps he is making it out to be a big deal - Clarkson has said his group is introverted after all. As Mick regularly had off field flair ups at Collingwood, I assume this is neither here nor there as an issue.

@thry if they're not following instructions, that tells me they're not buying the vision. It does highlight the leadership issues though. Pavlich pulled Freo into the Lyon line. Reckon Murphy does that?
Maybe, I was thinking more along the lines of some players relishing the freedom and importance of Ratten's somewhat individual game plan and seeing Mick's way being too much hard work due to it forcing players to vary how they instinctively play.

If we can't agree what works best there is a fair bet that there would be a split in the Cfc camp. 

I think by the end of 2012 the players had lost faith in Ratten's way and each other to get the job donE.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #188
I should have done mine the kruddler's way, 22 players who will constitute the best team, rather than just the best 22.

Reply #189
Interesting that there is no love for Watson and Warnock...not even close
"...that's the thing about opinion - you don't have to know anything to have one..."  Andre Agassi commenting on Pat Cash 2004
"...the less you know - the more you believe..." - Bono 2006

Reply #190
Interesting that there is no love for Watson and Warnock...not even close

I'm not too surprised, Watson may prove me wrong though! A break out year from him up forward would be awesome !!
Hopefully they both provide great depth !!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #191
I should have done mine the kruddler's way, 22 players who will constitute the best team, rather than just the best 22.

Why ? The poll asks for the "Best 22 players", not the best balance of 22 players to start a match.  ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #192
Final 22..
FB  Tuohy  Jamison  Jaksch
HB Yarran   Rowe  Simpson
C  Walker   Judd   Everitt
HF Jones   Henderson Carrazzo
FF  Thomas  Casboult  Menzel
R  Kreuzer   Murphy   Gibbs
Int Curnow   White  Cripps
Sub  Tutt

EMG.  Docherty Buckley Bell
Cant argue with much of that other than to say Buckley is ahead of Tutt for mine. As for best 22 at rnd 1, we know Walker and Kruze won't play. I don't like Simmo deep in defence, let play on a wing. If Daisy is as fit as they say, stick him on the other wing to run all day. Rnd 1 I'd go with Watto ahead of White but he is on notice. I want Gibbs in the guts and Juddy RR. Dre ahead of Jones starting. Doc BP

FB   Docherty Jamison Jaksch
HB  Yarran   Rowe  Tuohy
C    Thomas  Gibbs Simpson  
HF   Everitt Henderson Carrazzo
FF   Buckley Casboult  Menzel
R    Warnock or Wood Murphy  Judd
Int  Curnow Jones  Cripps
Sub Watson
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #193
I don't like Simmo deep in defence, let play on a wing.

From what I have seen, Simmo 'retired' to a HBF/back pocket a couple of years ago and IMO he has been doing a mighty fine job back there.
I seriously doubt we will ever see him back on the wing with any permanency ever again. We have Docherty, Boekhurst, Yarran, Daisy who can all play on the wing now.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #194
I don't like Simmo deep in defence, let play on a wing.

From what I have seen, Simmo 'retired' to a HBF/back pocket a couple of years ago and IMO he has been doing a mighty fine job back there.
I seriously doubt we will ever see him back on the wing with any permanency ever again. We have Docherty, Boekhurst, Yarran, Daisy who can all play on the wing now.
I just reckon he gets bashed around a fair bit when he is down back, mainly because of the way he plays and puts his body on the line. I think to prolong his career a little by looking after his body, I would play more outside mid/wing/fwd.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time