Skip to main content

Poll

Pick your best 22 players (22 votes allowed!)

1 - Walker
[ 22 ] (4.4%)
2 - Menzel
[ 18 ] (3.6%)
3 - Murphy
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
4 - Gibbs
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
5 - Judd
[ 5 ] (1%)
6 - Simpson
[ 22 ] (4.4%)
7 - Buckley
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
8 - Kreuzer
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
9 - Cripps
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
10 - Watson
[ 0 ] (0%)
11 - Warnock
[ 0 ] (0%)
12 - Boekhorst
[ 16 ] (3.2%)
13 - Yarran
[ 6 ] (1.2%)
14 - Jones
[ 0 ] (0%)
15 - Docherty
[ 22 ] (4.4%)
16 - Viojo-Rainbow
[ 0 ] (0%)
17 - Rowe
[ 15 ] (3%)
18 - Jaksch
[ 15 ] (3%)
19 - Giles
[ 0 ] (0%)
20 - Holman
[ 7 ] (1.4%)
21 - Sheehan
[ 4 ] (0.8%)
22 - Tutt
[ 1 ] (0.2%)
23 - Henderson
[ 3 ] (0.6%)
24 - Whiley
[ 3 ] (0.6%)
25 - Smith
[ 0 ] (0%)
26 - Foster
[ 0 ] (0%)
27 - Armfield
[ 19 ] (3.8%)
28 - Bell
[ 16 ] (3.2%)
29 - Gowers
[ 0 ] (0%)
30 - Johnson
[ 0 ] (0%)
31 - Dick
[ 1 ] (0.2%)
32 - Graham
[ 20 ] (4%)
33 - Everitt
[ 22 ] (4.4%)
34 - Walsh
[ 1 ] (0.2%)
35 - Curnow
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
36 - Wood
[ 12 ] (2.4%)
37 - Fields
[ 0 ] (0%)
38 - Byrne
[ 7 ] (1.4%)
39 - Thomas
[ 19 ] (3.8%)
40 - Jamison
[ 22 ] (4.4%)
41 - Casboult
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
42 - Tuohy
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
43 - White
[ 14 ] (2.8%)
44 - Carrazzo
[ 6 ] (1.2%)
46 - Ellard
[ 0 ] (0%)
47 - Russell
[ 0 ] (0%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Topic: Pick your best 22 players - Part 8 (Season over - wooden spooners) (Read 118797 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pick your best 22 players - NEW POLL! (pre-season)

Reply #195
I don't like Simmo deep in defence, let play on a wing.

From what I have seen, Simmo 'retired' to a HBF/back pocket a couple of years ago and IMO he has been doing a mighty fine job back there.
I seriously doubt we will ever see him back on the wing with any permanency ever again. We have Docherty, Boekhurst, Yarran, Daisy who can all play on the wing now.

Agree.
He won a B+F from there 2 years ago.

Doesn't matter where he plays either, he will put his head over the ball and run through anyone who gets in his way...its in his makeup.

Reply #196
I don't like Simmo deep in defence, let play on a wing.

From what I have seen, Simmo 'retired' to a HBF/back pocket a couple of years ago and IMO he has been doing a mighty fine job back there.
I seriously doubt we will ever see him back on the wing with any permanency ever again. We have Docherty, Boekhurst, Yarran, Daisy who can all play on the wing now.

Agree.
He won a B+F from there 2 years ago.

Doesn't matter where he plays either, he will put his head over the ball and run through anyone who gets in his way...its in his makeup.
Agree totally however some others need to start following his lead and ease the load on him. As I said, I'd be starting to plan for prolonging his career as much as possible. We need blokes like him around the club for as long as possible.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #197
G2C the way I see it, they have tried to reduce his running loads by taking him off the wing and putting him at half back. As Krudds has said, Simmo has always played fearless, I doubt that will ever leave his game, in fact I wouldn't want it to even if it were possible.
I understand your trying to protect him and increase Simmo's longevity but I'm not sure there is much more that can be done !!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #198
If I was to pick a 'best 22' I would limit it to those who are likely to be available for round 1 and it would look something like this:

Menzel, Murphy, Gibbs, Judd, Simpson, Cripps, Yarran, Jones, Docherty, Rowe, Jaksch, Henderson, Bell, Everitt, Curnow, Thomas, Jamison, Tuohy, White, Carrazzo, Wood, Casboult.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #199
We lost to the Cats by 3 goals with Yazz, Gibbs and Simmo and with Murphy and Thomas finding their feet. Should I mention Robbie W too? :)

who cares....?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #200
I'll give my best 22 for Round 1, with availability.

FB Jaksch Jamison Touhy
HB Yarran Henderson Docherty

C Murphy Gibbs Simpson
R Warnock Judd Cripps

HF Thomas Jones Everitt
FF Rowe Casboult Menzel

I Carrazzo Bell White Curnow

I have no idea who to make sub!?!

Reply #201

FB Jaksch Jamison Touhy

C Murphy Gibbs Simpson
R Warnock Judd Cripps

HF Thomas Jones Everitt
FF Rowe Casboult Menzel

Has to be Bell from that IC bench.
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #202

FB Jaksch Jamison Touhy

C Murphy Gibbs Simpson
R Warnock Judd Cripps

HF Thomas Jones Everitt
FF Rowe Casboult Menzel

Only knock I can find on that is the forward line is very tall and no small forward.

Some might not find that a knock at all.

Reply #203
Thomas and Menzel, but no pocket rocket, alough when Murph and Judd rest through there we have points of difference.

Reply #204
Looks a pretty common best 22.

Reply #205

FB Jaksch Jamison Touhy

C Murphy Gibbs Simpson
R Warnock Judd Cripps

HF Thomas Jones Everitt
FF Rowe Casboult Menzel

Ok so I had a think

Can we have both Curnow and Carrazzo in the side?

For instance, in round 1:

i) Carrazzo will likely take Cotchin
ii) Everitt will take Deledio (has Deledio been playing NAB? last year he burnt us in round 1 until Everitt went to him)
iii) Touhy will likely take Martin again.
iv) Not sure where that leaves Curnow, unless we tag Ellis as well.

Carrazzo's best, imo, is elite. Though Curnow is a good footballer with superior fitness. So it is a tough choice between the two (if you had to choose)...  but, as we all know, both their disposal can be questionable.

Also, while Whites form has been pretty good in the NAB it will be interesting to see how many games in the seniors he plays.

Reply #206

FB Jaksch Jamison Touhy

C Murphy Gibbs Simpson
R Warnock Judd Cripps

HF Thomas Jones Everitt
FF Rowe Casboult Menzel

Ok so I had a think

ii) Everitt will take Deledio (has Deledio been playing NAB? last year he burnt us in round 1 until Everitt went to him)

Carrazzo's best, imo, is elite. Though Curnow is a good footballer with superior fitness. So it is a tough choice between the two (if you had to choose)...  but, as we all know, both their disposal can be questionable.

Also, while Whites form has been pretty good in the NAB it will be interesting to see how many games in the seniors he plays.

Dont want Touhy on Martin....he cant handle him one on one and you can bet the Tigers will be push everyone up the ground and leave Martin one out on whoever we play on him....
They may try and play Deledio on Judd....would expect Curnow and Carrazzo to both play...like to see Everitt free to roam around without having to man anyone up.....

Reply #207

FB Jaksch Jamison Touhy

C Murphy Gibbs Simpson
R Warnock Judd Cripps

HF Thomas Jones Everitt
FF Rowe Casboult Menzel

Ok so I had a think

Dont want Touhy on Martin....he cant handle him one on one and you can bet the Tigers will be push everyone up the ground and leave Martin one out on whoever we play on him....
They may try and play Deledio on Judd....would expect Curnow and Carrazzo to both play...like to see Everitt free to roam around without having to man anyone up.....

I would play White on Martin and Curnow and Carrazzo both have to play.

I don't like the three talls forward line and would have Casboult and Henderson as our key forwards.  Everitt and others can add a bit of height and mobility as required.

I suspect Jaksch will be our only debutant but Smith or Boekhurst could get a run as he sub.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #208
@DJC and EB1

Yes, I think White may get Martin - he's probably got the mongrel and strength to deal with him but nevertheless he'll have his hands full. Tuohy is not a good match up for him - Martin just easily shrugged him off in the game last year in spectacular fashion to kick a lovely goal.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #209

FB Jaksch Jamison Touhy

C Murphy Gibbs Simpson
R Warnock Judd Cripps

HF Thomas Jones Everitt
FF Rowe Casboult Menzel

Ok so I had a think

I would play White on Martin and Curnow and Carrazzo both have to play.

I don't like the three talls forward line and would have Casboult and Henderson as our key forwards.  Everitt and others can add a bit of height and mobility as required.

I suspect Jaksch will be our only debutant but Smith or Boekhurst could get a run as he sub.

DJ..White is a good choice, plays a strong game and might be able to match it with Martin physically........
Agree on the forwards..we look a bit top heavy with three talls however the club have been talking up Jones all preseason and reckon he and Jaksch will debut as newbies......
Reckon Tutt might get the sub role....