Skip to main content
Topic: Blues v Pies - Post match analysis (Read 34688 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Blues v Pies - Post match analysis

Reply #90
Jacobs was clearly better than Warnock and Hampson but we went with the potential of the those two because we already had Kreuzer.

Kreuzer has been injured and Hampson and Warnock have been epic failures.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #91

But debating Sauce is asking the wrong question, the question you need to ask is how we ended up with Warnock who is a complete one trick pony and in my opinion the weakest of the set?

Sam is probably a good lesson for our club. We didn't actually realise that he was ready to take on the comp's best rucks regularly from early on. We went down the potential route and then couldn't develop these guys. Maybe stick the the Richs of this world?

Reply #92
Jacobs was clearly better than Warnock and Hampson but we went with the potential of the those two because we already had Kreuzer.

Kreuzer has been injured and Hampson and Warnock have been epic failures.

I think you have mentally extended Jacobs recent good form into his past! That clearly isn't clearly born out by the game selections at the time. Jacobs was 2nd rucking at The Ants behind the likes Warnock, Hampson and O'hAiplin when they were fit. At the same time Jacobs was also not even on the KPP radar behind O'hAilpin, Hampson, Casboult and others. So he was clearly not the preferred 1st ruck, he wasn't the preferred 2nd ruck and he wasn't considered a KPP option!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #93
Sam is probably a good lesson for our club. We didn't actually realise that he was ready to take on the comp's best rucks regularly from early on. We went down the potential route and then couldn't develop these guys. Maybe stick the the Richs of this world?

Your debating this in hindsight given SpecialK's run of injuries, which mostly happened after Sauce had left! There won't be a single honest MC staff member, club supporter or avid football follower (Excluding Jacob's mum) who would have assessed him as the preferred 2nd ruck option behind Kreuzer back in 2010.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #94
It is easy to talk about this in hindsight but nobody had a crystal ball back then,

I told anyone who would listen that Hampson was a hack and got accused of being anti Carlton for my trouble.
If I was Jacobs and a spud like Hampson was getting games ahead of me I would have wanted out as well.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #95
I was MIA in 2010 but I agreed with these guys

Elwood on Jacobs on Aug 31 2010
Hampson wont be traded......Hampson was another" upside pick" from Hughes that hasnt gone to plan and I dont see the footy dept admitting Jacobs is better than Hampson.
Hampson will be given more time to develop and Jacobs is the easy trade back home....even though we all know Jacobs is the better ruckman and will probably be a very good player for either Port or the Crows and have us wishing we never traded him....

Sheik on Jacobs Sep 5th 2010
Jacobs should be retained, his game today against the Swans was very good. I think Hampson is the one under the pump now.

Brettie on Jacobs Sep 5th 2010
After today's game, I'd be hoping the MC bend over backwards to assure him that his future lay with us. Jacobs i can see been traded away & hurting us, can't say the same for Hampson. Hampson has had some nice moments this year, but he's still way, way, way, too raw for mine, whereas you watch Jacobs today & know you've got a young ruckman there who knows his way around a football ground & who has clearly worked on getting better everytime time he plays.

He was seriously brilliant today, no way known Hampson could've delivered for us today what Jacobs did

Jamie on Jacobs Sep 12th 2010
Rocks in our head if we trade this guy... Hammer has to go if anyone...

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #96
Might I add I did stay awake long enough to see Marc Murphy put his body on the line standing in the hole twice, the kid is becoming a captain.

How about the way the filth's tagger (mc-crapper? ha) had both arms around Murphy, above the shoulder, at one stage across the neck too, prior to a bounce/toss up, and its just let go by the umps.

Reply #97
Must have been whilst I was asleep! :)
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #98
Might I add I did stay awake long enough to see Marc Murphy put his body on the line standing in the hole twice, the kid is becoming a captain.

How about the way the filth's tagger (mc-crapper? ha) had both arms around Murphy, above the shoulder, at one stage across the neck too, prior to a bounce/toss up, and its just let go by the umps.

McCaffer is a Cheat, and I was proud of Murphy that all though he was probably beaten, he worked and worked and worked for his team-mates, lifting them as best he could.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #99
McCaffer is worse than Crowley, seriously Mitch Robinson if you were going to hit someone?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #100

How about a quote from supporters prior to his first final, when the issue was actually being discussed mid season when there were rumors of offers on the table from Adelaide and the reports emerged that he was gone?

The deal was done and dusted and he was heading home before the finals even started!

CARLTON ruckman Sam Jacobs has requested a trade to the Adelaide Crows during the forthcoming exchange period.

The trade would allow Jacobs to return home to South Australia.

Jacobs made his Carlton debut in Round 1, 2009 and has played 17 AFL games.

Jacobs was recruited to the Blues from Androssan via Woodville-West Torrens in the 2007 rookie draft.

Carlton’s football operations general manager Steven Icke said the club was disappointed with Jacob’s trade request.

“While disappointed with Sam’s decision to return back to South Australia, the Club will now commence discussions with the Adelaide Crows to enable a suitable exchange,” Icke said.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #101

How about a quote from supporters prior to his first final, when the issue was actually being discussed mid season when there were rumors of offers on the table from Adelaide and the reports emerged that he was gone?

The deal was done and dusted and he was heading home before the finals even started!

Elwood's was before the game. ;)

I could look for more but I've made my point that opinion was divided on where Jacob's sat. I had no problem with keeping Hampson as he had the potential to be anything and was worth the punt but getting Warnock has turned out to be another horrific blunder.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #102
Elwood's was before the game. ;)

I could look for more but I've made my point that opinion was divided on where Jacob's sat. I had no problem with keeping Hampson as he had the potential to be anything and was worth the punt but getting Warnock has turned out to be another horrific blunder.

I think you will find Elwood's comments came the week after Jacobs had a great game against the Cats, Jacobs second last game for the club.

I just think it is re-writting history to think we had a choice. Jacobs wasn't the first choice ruck or a KPP option and he asked to be traded back to Adelaide we had no choice.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #103
The history is there in the quotes, 4 long time posters preferred Jacobs. Elwood absolutely nailed it, should apply for a job down there.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #104
McCaffer is a Cheat, and I was proud of Murphy that all though he was probably beaten, he worked and worked and worked for his team-mates, lifting them as best he could.

Murphy worked really hard and probably got his usual amount of contested possessions and tackles.  He was well down in uncontested possessions but a lot of that has to do with his team mates not bumping and blocking McCaffer at every opportunity.  Murphy shouldn't be the one to fill the hole in front of opposition tall forwards too.

Other positives for me were Henderson's improved form in the second half, Rowe's continued improvement and growing confidence, Johnson's debut and Yarran's poise and execution.

Negatives were Malthouse being caught out again by opposition tactics, our lack of purpose, poor delivery and the frustration it caused, lack of defensive pressure in the midfield, poor tackle count, being exposed by Collingwood's run off half-back, and our lack of run off half-back.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball