Skip to main content
Topic: R23 Hawthorn v Carlton: Pregame Chatter (Read 32467 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: R23 Hawthorn v Carlton: Pregame Chatter

Reply #15
Barely 22 left to field a team. 100 point thrashing is on the cards.

Docherty going for an operation.

Anyway, as long as no one else gets seriously injured and is able to put in a full pre-season, I'll be happy.

This year is a write off. New brooms in Bolton and SOS in to try and resurrect the joint.

Let's see how the trade period goes.

Curnows signed for another two years. A very limited player with shocking disposal skills especially by foot.

Oh well. ::) ::)

Re Curnow...we do need to have SOME soldiers on the ground, they all can't be elite SAS types.  ???
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #16
Barely 22 left to field a team. 100 point thrashing is on the cards.

Docherty going for an operation.

Anyway, as long as no one else gets seriously injured and is able to put in a full pre-season, I'll be happy.

This year is a write off. New brooms in Bolton and SOS in to try and resurrect the joint.

Let's see how the trade period goes.

Curnows signed for another two years. A very limited player with shocking disposal skills especially by foot.

Oh well. ::) ::)

Curnow's one big asset is that he gives his best each week and isnt one of those players that JB was talking about who doesnt turn up to play.
He has taken Carrazzo's place and while I have not been sold on Curnow in the past, there is an honesty about the way he plays that I appreciate after having to
put up with Henderson, Yarran etc not caring or showing any pride...

Reply #17
Curnow always puts in 100% whether in training or match day.
He's a good example to have around the joint while we re developing the kids.

Reply #18
Curnow's one big asset is that he gives his best each week and isnt one of those players that JB was talking about who doesnt turn up to play.
He has taken Carrazzo's place and while I have not been sold on Curnow in the past, there is an honesty about the way he plays that I appreciate after having to
put up with Henderson, Yarran etc not caring or showing any pride...

I certainly don't disagree with either you or Dominator 7's opinion on Curnow's effort.

I reckon he came off the ground crying, when we lost to geelong. he had given his all for no result.

BUT, that was not the point of my post.

Aside from the fact that we have been decimated by injuries and a coach in MM, who was obviously past his use by date, what has killed us in every game where we had a sniff of a chance to win or go close?

SKILLS!!!!!

Our skills are terrible. In fact, Carrazo whom he will replace, was the turnover king at Carlton, and Curnow's kicking skills particularly when trying to find a team mate on the chest who is 30-40 metres away, are terrible and bloody costly.

If he cannot improve in that area, and he's had 7 years in the system to do so, then all his effort to negate will account for little.

I hope that Bolton has and will study the players and be fully aware of their weaknesses, and will ensure that time and effort is not spared in his attempt to improve the skills of our players to a level that he took for granted at Hawthorn.

Reply #19
JB takes another swipe at some of the senior players (unnamed) who didn't have a crack last week.

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/2014-08-31/from-the-coach-round-22?camefrom=EMCL_750557_31995009

He must be totally pi22ed at the attitude of some of those who are still on enormous coin every time they step foot on the field ($200,00 / year = $16,667 per month or over $9000 per game). Money paid under false pretenses.  No doubt it is an automatic transfer because they couldn't possibly look the paymaster in the eye and accept an envelope.

They know who they are....play them this week out of necessity and then move them on.

Re: R23 Hawthorn v Carlton

Reply #20
Hawthorn would be worried about this game.
They wouldn't want any injuries going into the finals.

They seem unlikely to get roughed up by our team of nice guys who won't chase and can't tackle.

The biggest danger to their physical well-being is the possibility that they run into each other while trying to be unsociable to our players - something to hope for?

Reply #21
RiverRat, they could pull a major hammy running too hard also. They could also be rubbed out fo rough conduct. Sling tackles, high impact etc. ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #22
I'd like to see Holman this week.

Boekhorst reminds me of a young Simon Tregenza... maybe chasing Hartung and Brad Hill and Smith around for a game might give him a clue where he needs to be at for next year.

I'd make Boekhorst tag Smith for the whole game.

Reply #23
Our skills are terrible. In fact, Carrazo whom he will replace, was the turnover king at Carlton,

Carlton legend, one of the best and most consistent of the last decade. You only see what you want to see BN.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Re: R23 Hawthorn v Carlton

Reply #24
They seem unlikely to get roughed up by our team of nice guys who won't chase and can't tackle.

The biggest danger to their physical well-being is the possibility that they run into each other while trying to be unsociable to our players - something to hope for?
That would be even funnier if it wasn't so true ... Sadly

Reply #25
Robblues wrote

That would be even funnier if it wasn't so true ... Sadly

Even sadder is the fact that when I suggested the Hawks might be "worried about this game because of injury", the thought that they might be injured by aggressive play from a Carlton player never even entered my head. :(

I was thinking along the lines of accidental knocks or as Mantis suggested hamstrings etc

Reply #26
Carlton legend, one of the best and most consistent of the last decade. You only see what you want to see BN.

carrots had poor to average disposal at times - he was never elite like geelong where he came from

Reply #27
carrots had poor to average disposal at times - he was never elite like geelong where he came from

He was elite for a decent patch - the season before that Essendon low life (Lonergan?) pile drove him into the turf.

From memory he was leading most awards at that stage (even if early in the season).
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #28
He was elite for a decent patch - the season before that Essendon low life (Lonergan?) pile drove him into the turf.

From memory he was leading most awards at that stage (even if early in the season).

we see things differently - after watching all games live over the years - that's my opinion ---simpson is the same

Reply #29

He was an average kick over a long distance so he played within his limitations and was a star for us. Always performed in finals. His 13 possie third quarter against Sydney in combo with Judd to get us back into the game in the 2010 Elim Final was amazing. Used to do all this whilst stopping the oppositions best midfielder. Just an absolute gun footballer.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!