Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 2: Carlton vs Sydney Pre Game Postulations (Read 45418 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 2: Carlton vs Sydney Pre Game Postulations

Reply #120
To call him a complete waste of time is pretty harsh IMO.

Mate he was a peripheral part of our list under Ratten for a reason, and was headed for the scrap heap until Mick adopted the plodder formula.

When I say waste of time, I mean that he is playing when we could be getting gametime into others. Mick was desperate to win, so under him yes he was a stop gap. BB wants to rebuild, so under him any time he plays is a complete and utter waste of time.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #121
Mate he was a peripheral part of our list under Ratten for a reason, and was headed for the scrap heap until Mick adopted the plodder formula.

When I say waste of time, I mean that he is playing when we could be getting gametime into others. Mick was desperate to win, so under him yes he was a stop gap. BB wants to rebuild, so under him any time he plays is a complete and utter waste of time.

I honestly think that when we have the future options ready and available then BB won't hesitate to bring them in and White will find it a lot harder to get selection. For instance, Plowman looks like taking a big step forward by playing in the NBs this week. Byrne, Jack, Charlie and others could also start to make their claims soon. But at least White is fit and available until these guys are ready i.e. he provides depth for this year which is not really a complete and utter waste of time IMO. Injuries to players delay player development to be sure, and they could be seen as time lost.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #122
That said, he's like White in that his role is a bit uncertain and that can only hinder his development - too small really to be a HBF, maybe a back pocket but is he up to it defensively (that said is 2E either as a HBF), hasn't shown he can be a mid so is small lock down forward his go?

Would love to see 2e play wing. Seems perfectly suited.

Reply #123
I honestly think that when we have the future options ready and available then BB won't hesitate to bring them in and White will find it a lot harder to get selection. For instance, Plowman looks like taking a big step forward by playing in the NBs this week. Byrne, Jack, Charlie and others could also start to make their claims soon. But at least White is fit and available until these guys are ready i.e. he provides depth for this year which is not really a complete and utter waste of time IMO. Injuries to players delay player development to be sure, and they could be seen as time lost.

Yep point taken. I think Jaksch needs gametime. Let's start with him,.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #124

Yes well as we saw on The Journey Craig seemed to be giving Jaksch a fair bit of focus so maybe we won't have to wait too much longer to see him.

Reply #125

He's got to earn a game first.  Bolton is very strong on players not being entitled to play.  They have earn their spot and Jaksch hasn't done that yet.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #126
I think he did didn't he?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #127
Thomas, Byrne and C.Curnow into the 25 from last week

Interchange From*

US

7 Dylan Buckley
38 Ciaran Byrne
30 Charlie Curnow
34 Andrew Phillips
17 Sam Rowe
46 Matthew Wright
13 Jed Lamb

THEM

19 Tom Derickx
29 George Hewett
33 Brandon Jack
41 Tom Papley
27 Daniel Robinson
1 James Rose
22 Dean Towers

Reply #128
Carlton

B: Sam Docherty, Michael Jamison, Simon White.
HB: Dale Thomas, Jacob Weitering, Zach Tuohy.
C: Nick Graham, Marc Murphy, Kade Simpson.
HF: Blaine Boekhorst, Levi Casboult, Sam Kerridge.
F: Andrew Walker, Andrejs Everitt, Ed Curnow.
Foll: Matthew Kreuzer, Patrick Cripps, Bryce Gibbs.
Int:  Dylan Buckley, Ciaran Byrne,  Charlie Curnow, Andrew Phillips, Sam Rowe, Matthew Wright, Jed Lamb (Three to be omitted)

In: Dale Thomas, Ciaran Byrne, Charlie Curnow.

New: Charlie Curnow

Milestones:
  Sam Docherty  - Playing 50th game,
  Jacob Weitering  - Played 1st game,
  Zach Tuohy  - Playing 100th game,
  Ciaran Byrne  - Played 1st game

From the way the team was named, it looks like Buckley is out and Thomas is certainly in.
Rowe, Wright and Phillips are also very likely starters, so Charlie Curnow and Casey Byrne look like missing out.
However, that is 100 % conjecture.

Sydney Swans

B: Zak Jones, Ted Richards, Nick Smith.
HB: Dane Rampe, Heath Grundy, Jeremy Laidler.
C: Jake Lloyd, Josh P. Kennedy, Dan Hannebery.
HF: Callum Mills, Lance Franklin, Luke Parker.
F: Harry Cunningham, Kurt Tippett, Isaac Heeney.
Foll: Callum Sinclair, Kieren Jack, Tom Mitchell.
Int: Tom Derickx, George Hewett, Brandon Jack, Tom Papley, Daniel Robinson, James Rose, Dean Towers (Three to be omitted)

In: Ted Richards, Tom Derickx, Brandon Jack, James Rose.

Out: Michael Talia (Foot)

Very hard to change a Swans outfit that was good in so many areas last week. Richards had to come in for Talia, but the other 3 are making up the numbers.

Our defence looks like it has more taller players than the Sydney forward line has. I'd very much like to play Byrne.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #129
I have no idea how Thomas walks into a spot in this team at the expense of someone on the IC bench, they have seen something I haven't

Reply #130
On his preseason form I would not have named Thomas. I would have brought him back through the NBs.
However, I was not consulted.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #131
On his preseason form I would not have named Thomas. I would have brought him back through the NBs.

I guess there's pressure to get Daisy functional and contributing asap due to his cost to the club?

Reply #132

Nor me  :)

I thought Thomas was in reasonable form but his kicking let him down.  Bolton virtually guaranteed him a game so his selection is not really a surprise.

Charlie Curnow was an emergency last week and didn't play in the NBs.  I will be very surprised if he doesn't play two weeks in a row so he'll either be in the 22 or dropped from the squad on Friday.

PS Thomas had 6 tackles against the Swans, equal with Gibbs and behind Ed Curnow with 8.  Perhaps Bolts likes that aspect of his game.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #133
Whatever folk think of thomas and his contract, he is an experienced player who is fit, knows how to find the ball, makes good decisions and works hard. He is a no brainer to come into the side after the suspension.

As earlier posts suggested, buckly needs to step up big time this year. He is in his fifth season now. For a small fellow he needs to develop some tricks pretty quick or he will be delisted at years end. Round 1 was not a good show for him and for a player of his type there are more replacement options than for a key forward or ruck.

Reply #134
Whatever folk think of thomas and his contract, he is an experienced player who is fit, knows how to find the ball, makes good decisions and works hard. He is a no brainer to come into the side after the suspension.

As earlier posts suggested, buckly needs to step up big time this year. He is in his fifth season now. For a small fellow he needs to develop some tricks pretty quick or he will be delisted at years end. Round 1 was not a good show for him and for a player of his type there are more replacement options than for a key forward or ruck.

I would tend to agree - but how nice is it to have this problem?

Pressure on spots in the team... seems like years.