Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Rd 1: Northern Blues vs Footscray at Footscray (Read 17437 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Rd 1: Northern Blues vs Footscray at Footscray

Reply #45
BB has stated emphatically, after last week IIRC, that we will be persisting with the game plan and suffer in the short term until we get good at it. It could be painful for a bit longer yet but at least it shows a long term view.

That's my take on it too, Fluffy One. I know IF is a big word but had we hit targets correctly today I am very confident the scoreboard would have been very different. You can see there is a plan and our blokes have just got to get used to it and get ruthless with excellent execution.

Credit to Jones for not once showing bad body language at the deplorable delivery to him/forward line.

EB1... reckon you're on the money re the Rainbow. Yes he picked up a lot of easier possessions today but he did make good position and he did work hard. The strength of the bloke is his left foot... you just know he's going to hit a target. Got some good size as well, now. Although he mightn't win enough of his own ball, there's not much to lose in giving him a gig. Who knows, he might be one of these blokes who can only get so far in the Magoos but grows another leg in the seniors.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #46
Great work Baggers, crash and others. Love these reports and appreciate the time you put in.

Reading Baggers match report (post #39), I thought I was reading the seniors wrap up. The similarities are disturbing. 

Reply #47
That's my take on it too, Fluffy One. I know IF is a big word but had we hit targets correctly today I am very confident the scoreboard would have been very different. You can see there is a plan and our blokes have just got to get used to it and get ruthless with excellent execution.

Credit to Jones for not once showing bad body language at the deplorable delivery to him/forward line.

EB1... reckon you're on the money re the Rainbow. Yes he picked up a lot of easier possessions today but he did make good position and he did work hard. The strength of the bloke is his left foot... you just know he's going to hit a target. Got some good size as well, now. Although he mightn't win enough of his own ball, there's not much to lose in giving him a gig. Who knows, he might be one of these blokes who can only get so far in the Magoos but grows another leg in the seniors.

BTW, thanks for another great NBs report Baggers.  :)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #48
All over and we really crashed out in the last quarter. :(

Northern Blues 8 - 7 - 55
Western Bulldogs 15 - 14 - 104

GOALS: Jones 3, Gallucci 2, Viojo-Rainbow, Jaksch, Gorringe.

Jones got 2 of his 3 in a couple of moments in the 2nd quarter. Jaksch and Gorringe got 1 each. None of these performances shouts out 'play me in the seniors' to me.

DISPOSALS: Dick 30, Tutt 27, Strachan 25, Viojo-Rainbow 24, White 24, Cuningham 21.

Tutt may get a call up with 27 possessions. Dick continues to show he has this level covered, but the questions over his pace remain. White will be in line for a game after this sort of effort. DVR and Cunningham must have shown something.

I will be interested to read any reports.
I am assuming that Plowman got 3 quarters, going from these statistics.

This surprises me because speed was one of his key attributes and why we recruited him. “He's a powerful right-footer with plenty of leg speed who makes good use of the football." - McKay

Reply #49
Thanks Baggers. Very appreciative of the report.
Great work!

Reply #50
Yea, he was renowned for pace and run as a junior but was perceived to have iffy disposal.  Query on his time at the Swans was that he was played out of position (? as a third tall defender instead of as a running back), maybe because of his in-between size. 

Like yourself Milkster his problem is pace, or more correctly the lack of it from what I have seen. 
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #51
Good report Baggers. What are the pies like in the west?

Reply #52

Yep some players show little in the twos but go up another gear in the ones when given the opportunity...got nothing to lose given a couple of our other outside runners
cant get near the ball or hit a target...

Reply #53
Good report Baggers. What are the pies like in the west?

Plentiful... well, they used to be!

Reply #54
V.Rainbow needs to keep up this bit of form he seems to be in.....Buckley,Boekhorst are struggling and Sumner needs some more match fitness....reckon the Rainbow might not be far off a game as BB is probably going to be a bit more keen to rotate and try players if we keep getting belted.

You add DVR and Plowman in and our gameplan looks better again with better executors of the football. Fitness in last quarters is an issue for both sides and adding DVR and Plowman already wont help that.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #55
Great write up Baggers, much appreciated.

It is actually encouraging that the NBs and the seniors are playing a similar style of contemporary precise passing football.  It is going to result in a lot of turnovers, but they have to persist.  Build capacity and skill from the back line on and it builds. 

Reply #57
The coach's evaluation of Carlton listed players:

Northern Blues coach Josh Fraser reviews the performances of the Carlton-listed players in Northern's season-opening loss to Footscray:

14. Liam Jones

Stats: 7 disposals, 3 marks (2 inside 50), 4 tackles, 3 goals

From the coach: He was our most dangerous target on the day: he competed really well in his contested marking and his follow-up was terrific. He finished with three and was probably unlucky to not finish with a couple more.

18. Daniel Gorringe

Stats: 14 disposals, 6 marks, 3 inside 50s, 1 goal

From the coach: He provided some good service as a back-up ruckman, worked hard in patches to provide a forward target and finished with a goal.

26. Matthew Dick

Stats: 30 disposals, 11 marks, 3 clearances, 11 handball receives

From the coach: Accumulated plenty of the ball of half-back and was our leading possession winner on the day, and provided some important run and drive for us.

31. Jayden Foster

Stats: 10 disposals

From the coach: He was used at both ends of the ground, and continues to build some fitness having missed the Richmond game in pre-season.

34. Jesse Glass-McCasker

Stats: 4 disposals

From the coach: He continues to develop being his first year on the list, and showed good signs defensively while having some positive individual efforts down back.

36. Cameron Wood

Stats: 13 disposals, 2 clearances, 19 hitouts

From the coach: Cam competed well against seasoned ruckmen Minson and Campbell, and he spent time up forward too.

38. Billy Gowers

Stats: 8 disposals, 3 marks, 3 inside 50s,

From the coach: Billy spent time going through the middle and also played a role at half-back: he showed some encouraging signs in the third quarter when we were making our way back into the game.

43. Simon White

Stats: 24 disposals, 7 marks, 9 hardball gets, 6 handball receives

From the coach: ‘Whitey’ provided a real calming influence on our back six with his leadership, and he defended well and supported in aerial contests.

44. Lachie Plowman

Stats: 19 disposals, 5 marks (2 contested), 4 hardball gets, 4 inside 50s

From the coach: Another encouraging performance from 'Plow', who backed himself in the air and provided some important run for us out of defence. He’s continuing to build to full fitness.

46. Liam Sumner

Stats: 12 disposals, 5 inside 50s, 4 clearances

From the coach: Liam played forward while having a few bursts on the ball. He continues to build fitness and impressed us with his workrate. He also had a hand in setting up a couple of goals.

48. Kristian Jaksch

Stats: 14 disposals, 7 handball receives, 1 goal

From the coach: 'KJ' played at both ends of the ground, and continues to develop his game both forward and back. He kicked an important goal in the third term when he was pushed forward.

56. Andrew Gallucci

Stats: 15 disposals, 4 inside 50s, 5 handball receives, 3 tackles, 2 goals

From the coach: A small forward who applied good pressure at source, worked hard to provide an option at the drop of the ball and finished with two goals.

60. David Cuningham

Stats: 21 disposals (12 contested), 9 hardball gets, 3 clearances, 7 handball receives

From the coach: First possession around stoppages was impressive: his ability to move away from clearances and stay involved in the contest was good especially for a young player.

65. Dillon Viojo-Rainbow

Stats: 24 disposals, 7 marks, 3 clearances, 1 goal

From the coach: Big third quarter gathering 11 disposals and kicking a goal. He continues to improve after showing some good signs in our three practice matches in previous weeks.

67. Clem Smith

Stats: 10 disposals, 6 marks, 3 tackles

From the coach: Performed below expectation, but he had a couple of moments where he impacted the contest: now it’s about finding some consistency.

76. Jason Tutt

Stats: 27 disposals, 8 marks, 3 inside 50s, 14 handball receives

From the coach: ‘Tutty’ played his role as a winger well and found enough of the ball - he continues to work hard on particular areas of his game.

80. Matthew Korcheck

Stats: 5 disposals, 1 mark, 3 tackles, 7 hitouts

From the coach: He had some really important centre-bounce ruck taps, took a nice mark around the ground and was more involved this week than previous weeks - it’s a good sign of his development.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #58
The Inside Football summary of NBs performances is also a pretty good read... no fluff, no gloss, right to the point re senior selection possibility.