Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 3: Carlton vs Gold Coast: Post Game Pain (Read 42014 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 3: Carlton vs Gold Coast: Post Game Pain

Reply #15
Can expect Casbouylt to be the only target down forward, just gets gang tackeld every contest...Jaksch and Gorringe have to play next week IMO and either Philips or Kruezer have to go out as both are useless down forward...

Said all along, Kreuzer is crap when he has to share duties. Means he goes forward too much where he's no good  As our only ruckman, with help from Casboult, which works for both of them, Kreuzer then is a much better player. Kreuzer had no physical presence tonight. Compare that with Casboult, who either marked, contested or smashed up bodies. Sent a couple from ground not to return.

Hopefully Plowman, Jaksch and Sumner have good ones. Then we can drop Jammo and Rowe. Happy to go with Weitering and Plowman in the key positions, with Jaksch playing forward with Casboult.

Reply #16
Once again we got lead up the garden path during the off season , brainwashed into thinking we would improve.

Actually, the opposite is true.

this year was about development.

It's hard to take but take it we must.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #17
Agree, and I would add decision making is a big problem as well.

It's all about introverts and church mice, too many on our list look like they are doing their best to hide from the crowd and the cameras.

One of the reasons Weitering stands out because he talks and directs players.

You won't have success in the AFL with a team full of introverts and we keep giving the extroverts the kibosh!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #18
Can expect Casbouylt to be the only target down forward, just gets gang tackeld every contest...Jaksch and Gorringe have to play next week IMO and either Philips or Kruezer have to go out as both are useless down forward...
Well we all knew this is what to expect this season but it shouldn't have been as bad as that tonight. So yep, you're spot on. It hurts to say it but right now on current form we're going to have to bring in jones and jaksch to replace Phillips and Jamison. Not ideal but can't be worse that what we saw in the last term tonight. (Unless Mr Plow is ready to go next week)
I'd also rather see Cunningham get a run, couldn't do much less than some of our passengers tonight and will get more out of it. And if we can still elevate a rookie get gallucci to play as a small forward who will actually apply pressure and tackle.

Reply #19

Development = Progress, NOT going backwards!
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #21
GOLD COAST  3. 2      5. 7      9. 10    13. 16 (94)
CARLTON        1. 3      3. 5      5. 8      5. 11 (41)

GOALS
Gold Coast: Lynch 4,Martin 3,Cameron, Day, Hall, Malceski, Matera, Sexton
Carlton: Casboult, Cripps, C. Curnow, Tuohy, Wright

BEST
Gold Coast: Hall, Ablett, Lynch, Martin, Malceski, Kolodjashnij
Carlton: Weitering, Gibbs, Docherty, Curnow, Cripps

Our fitness levels still leave much to be desired. We haven't been able to keep up in a single last quarter this year. They got some very easy goals at the end because guys like Boekhorst (to name just one) didn't keep up.
Seriously, Gibbs named among our best? Is someone trying to add insult to injury tonight?

Reply #22

Agree....its what the Saints have been through and its going to be one belting after another until we get some permanent structure to the team...just have to enjoy Weitering, C, Curnow etc and forget about the scoreboard at times.....if I get effort I dont mind but I thought we just tailed off in the effort tonight...maybe the heat and chasing GC butt all night wore us down...
You can tell when the effort starts dropping off when smalls like Docherty and Simpson are left one out vs much taller opponents.....reckon Kade looked like he had had enough at one stage...

Reply #23
Said all along, Kreuzer is crap when he has to share duties. Means he goes forward too much where he's no good  As our only ruckman, with help from Casboult, which works for both of them, Kreuzer then is a much better player. Kreuzer had no physical presence tonight. Compare that with Casboult, who either marked, contested or smashed up bodies. Sent a couple from ground not to return.

Hopefully Plowman, Jaksch and Sumner have good ones. Then we can drop Jammo and Rowe. Happy to go with Weitering and Plowman in the key positions, with Jaksch playing forward with Casboult.
Kreuzer - gee, I worry about him. He took one mark tonight, and, although he got quite a few taps, we didn't get much out of them at all. He is just not giving us a target to kick to. For a #1 pick he is really struggling to make an impact. I agree with Iaj: Kreuzer just isn't making an impact in any part of his role.
Tonight he was playing on a guy I seriously do not rate as a ruckman. Yet, instead of being a strength and a win for us, their mid field had a field day.
It also shows that our present midfield structure isn't working all that well. When it works we look great, but our opponents get it a lot more often.
Phillips tried, but he is at least a year off being a top ruckman.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #24
Well we all knew this is what to expect this season but it shouldn't have been as bad as that tonight. So yep, you're spot on. It hurts to say it but right now on current form we're going to have to bring in jones and jaksch to replace Phillips and Jamison. Not ideal but can't be worse that what we saw in the last term tonight. (Unless Mr Plow is ready to go next week)
I'd also rather see Cunningham get a run, couldn't do much less than some of our passengers tonight and will get more out of it. And if we can still elevate a rookie get gallucci to play as a small forward who will actually apply pressure and tackle.

Just put Plowman in. We're not going to win so he may as well get fit in the seniors. He and Weitering in defence, Casboult and Jaksch forward. Then drop Rowe and Jammo together with Phillips, just for starters.

Reply #25
Kruezer has taken 4 marks in 3 games in 2016

Enough is enough

Reply #26
Development = Progress, NOT going backwards!

The club said a three year rebuild.
We must get every top 20 draft pick we can in that time.
Weitering, Cripps, C Curnow and McKay aside, trade trade trade.
We need confidence, skill, attitude, mental strength, disposal ability.
We also need to clear out weak minded players that may influence the future.
That is the most important trading aspect.

Reply #27
The club said a three year rebuild.
We must get every top 20 draft pick we can in that time.
Weitering, Cripps, C Curnow and McKay aside, trade trade trade.
We need confidence, skill, attitude, mental strength, disposal ability.
We also need to clear out weak minded players that may influence the future.
That is the most important trading aspect.

Yep...cut hard and deep...get the loser players out of the joint that are bad examples for young kids

Reply #28
Recruited too many players who were slackers in High School but because they were jocks they got all the girls and thought their sh*t didn't stink. 
And we just continue to feed their egos by paying them overs to live the life of Riley.  Fair dinkum, if I showed the same inability to perform the core functions of my job I would have been sacked long ago.

We got rid of a bunch of frauds last year. Second round of culling can't come soon enough.

Cameron Ling says, "Outstanding defensive effort from Gold Coast tonight".  Yeah, right.  ::)

Yep.  We got rid of the slackers and has beens and then replaced them with recycled players who could not get a game at their prospective clubs. 

This club has not hit rock bottom yet.  We are the new Melbourne.  

Reply #29
Kruezer has taken 4 marks in 3 games in 2016

Enough is enough

Agree....he needs some time in the twos to learn how to dominate games, Nicholls isnt great but looked every bit as good as either MK or Philips....I like to see what Gorringe has to offer and would also include Jaksch and Plowman if they are decent enough in the NB's this week..