Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 3: Carlton vs Gold Coast: Post Game Pain (Read 42016 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 3: Carlton vs Gold Coast: Post Game Pain

Reply #180

One HELL of a challenge confronts BB. A recent birthday actually has me wondering if I'll be around to celebrate future Flags.  I guess, when it does come, my kids will hopefully appreciate it all the more as they've grown up having been forced to stick with The Blues through thick and thin. They've never known anything except famine - apart from one year when the umpires in WA stuck it to us. But they're young, they'll get over it. Unlike me.

Well, happy birthday to you. Whilst the recent "famine" is hard to take, we've fared better than a lot of other clubs over the journey. Small consolation to some, no consolation to others, but it is true.

Reply #181
Weitering and Charlie were again the green shoots to get excited about this week. Weitering's NAB rising star nomination was well earned and deserved.

I was really disappointed with Murphy and Gibbs games on Saturday night, as 2 of our senior leaders they set the tone for others to follow, but I wouldn't want the other players to follow the tone they set on Sat night.

Some of our other leaders in Docherty, Simpson and E. Curnow showed much more desire and intent.

There were 2 very simple problems I saw at the game.
1. Our zone defense is far to loose, there were way too many uncontested marks and possessions allowed that could have easily been contested and therefor either held up or even turned over. Just a little more thought and maybe effort about where to position yourself in relation to your opponent could make a huge difference.

2. After a mark or a free kick, especially now with the new 10m rule, I believe it is imperative that we either handball off to a running player or play on at EVERY opportunity. By going back over the mark you are giving away meterage and time that allows the opposition to set up their defense. Even if a player is a slow runner, he should at least look to move the ball on quickly by hand or foot.

Oh, another team thing I noticed, and I know this is not limited to just Carlton, but this hurt us probably half a dozen times on Sat night, we got the ball on the rebound, someone is tearing through the middle of the ground, they look up and there is absolutely no one in the fwd 50 to kick it to !!!

IMO this is absolute madness, each time the player with the ball had to stop, prop and go sideways. It was ridiculous. IMO no matter where the ball is on the ground, we should always keep a player deep in our fwd 50.

We had 5-6 turnovers that could have been an easy kick to a leading forward, one out, who if he marks it would have a relatively easy shot on goal. Instead, many of those times the ball didn't even get into our fwd 50.

Ciaren Byrne looked a little lost out there at times, he was trying hard though and I would persist with him.

Daisy had a some shocking moments, his kicking at times.......

Whiley may not be our most talented player, but I saw him working his but off trying to make position or plays and playing his role. I was impressed with his endeavor.

Geez I love watching Simmo, he is all heart, and Docherty is going to be a good clone of him with perhaps just a little more polish !!

Charlie is going to be a very good player for us, he is still finding his feet a bit, but the signs are there. He played leading up the ground a fair bit on Sat night, I would like to see how he goes if he were to spend more time inside the fwd 50. He could be very dangerous if played the right way I reckon, and we all know how much we need a goal kicker at the moment!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #182
Said all along, Kreuzer is crap when he has to share duties. Means he goes forward too much where he's no good  As our only ruckman, with help from Casboult, which works for both of them, Kreuzer then is a much better player. Kreuzer had no physical presence tonight. Compare that with Casboult, who either marked, contested or smashed up bodies. Sent a couple from ground not to return.

Hopefully Plowman, Jaksch and Sumner have good ones. Then we can drop Jammo and Rowe. Happy to go with Weitering and Plowman in the key positions, with Jaksch playing forward with Casboult.
You're a mind reader laj  ;) Couldnt agree more.

Reply #183
Here's a stinky fact, Matthew Wright has shown more in 3 games than Daisy has in 3 years. And would be on a third of his wage.

Gibbs and Murph may as well have been replaced with packets of aeroplane jelly as the jelly would've offered more.

Kreuze needs to play 90% in the ruck and be the extra mid and protector for Cripps, who is being bashed from pillar to post.

Buckley needs to play off HB, sadly not a forward's a-hole

Boekhorst needs to play off a wing, not a forward's a-hole

Rowe and Jamo look shot, but there is nobody else apart from Jones and Jaksch. Here's hoping Plowman comes along quicker than later

Need Sumner to be that goalkicking wing/HF

Gallucci small crumbing forward

Phillips out.

Army's pace and seniority would handy but he only has a year or 2 left. Might be wrong

Get Cunningham in! We are as slow as a pregnant snail, need foot speed.

Persist with C. Curnow

Gorringe, Gowers, Glass-McCasker, Foster? Where are they at.

Nicky G, Kerridge and Lamb are in our best 22 easily  :o

Viojo-Rainbow should play, stick him in the guts, he'll either sink or swim. Good kick

We play better with White Walker in the side, but we cant rely on them forever, are they stunting development?

Whiley, a good VFL player

Tutt and Clem Smith. Cant imagine them making us a better side

Sosos and Pins McKay, 2-3 years away. In the VFL on slow roast

Must change it up a bit so i'd like to see, Skittles, Plowman, Sumner Cunningham, Jacksh and Jones IN

and Rowe, Whiley, Jamo, Phillips, Buckley and Boekhorst OUT

Bucks and Boeky need confidence in the magoos not being played out of position

Cas 2nd ruck

Jones KJ and Plow rotating back with Weits

Cunningham, Skittles and Sumner giving our mids a different structure

Reply #184
@ Amers
Great analysis mate. The footage that really shows all this shape stuff is the behind the goals. Fox footy showed some footage that showed how crapola Coll were on the weekend at defending space with shape.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #185
Weitering and Charlie were again the green shoots to get excited about this week. Weitering's NAB rising star nomination was well earned and deserved.

Oh, another team thing I noticed, and I know this is not limited to just Carlton, but this hurt us probably half a dozen times on Sat night, we got the ball on the rebound, someone is tearing through the middle of the ground, they look up and there is absolutely no one in the fwd 50 to kick it to !!!

IMO this is absolute madness, each time the player with the ball had to stop, prop and go sideways. It was ridiculous. IMO no matter where the ball is on the ground, we should always keep a player deep in our fwd 50.

Have to agree with this. In round one not only did we suffer from this problem but rather frustratingly Richmond did the exact opposite to us in the last quarter. When Richmond charged back they always seemed to have 1 player (usually Riewoldt) back well past our zone and giving themselves a lot of space. Every time Richmond successfully moved the ball quickly our zone couldn't roll back quick enough to pick up the player and it often led to the big mismatches like Simpson trying to spoil at KP forward with 20kgs and 15cms on him.

Unfortunately the Doggies seem to have a similar set up and leave Stringer back deep a lot. Since they are really good this year at quick ball movement I can't see it going well for us unless Bolton makes a change and keeps a defender back to man him up as well as someone forward so we have a target to kick to.

Reply #186
Yep, poor at organising our zone defence and turning the ball over in our forward half is certainly a lethal cocktail atm.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #187
What's the point of zipping through the central corridor if the ball carriers look up and there arent any targets within 75 of goal?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #188
What's the point of zipping through the central corridor if the ball carriers look up and there arent any targets within 75 of goal?

On the bright side, if there is anyone there they'll be in space. Comes down to how you set up.