Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 2 Pre Game Panic Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 42414 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 2 Pre Game Panic Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #195
Scanning through the stats, I noticed Charlie Curnow is now listed as 194cm.  Wasn't he 191cm last year?
Hope the big Dufus goes a bit harder at the footy this week ;)

Reply #197
Still staying up late on Christmas eve hoping for a glimpse of Father Christmas Thry?

I don't get it.  Thomas is liked by his coaches because he works hard and is a smart footballer.

I never thought he was all that talented, but I knew he worked his dot off.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #198
I don't get it.  Thomas is liked by his coaches because he works hard and is a smart footballer.

I don't understand why people don't give credit where credit is due.

So many posters on here stated over and over again that all they want to see from our side is effort and attitude, yet they kick Daisy who delivers both those things in spades!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #199

So many posters on here stated over and over again that all they want to see from our side is effort and attitude, yet they kick Daisy who delivers both those things in spades!

A lot of people just can't get past the Malthouse/Collingwood connection and the pay cheque, but as a wise man once said to me, "I've never known anyone to knock back a job because the pay was too high".
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #200

When the work and/or effort means not quite getting to contests, not being a marking option, and kicking out of bounds, grubbers and directly to the opposition, it's quite reasonable to question the selection of Daisy.

He may have an admirable attitude and give 100% but his best today is a shadow of what it was when he was at his peak.  I know some folk believe that he provides on field leadership but, from what I have observed, Daisy is fully engaged in self preservation and has little time or energy for anything else.

Pay particular attention to what he does when we're setting up after a goal.  He will generally run to the wrong position and will have several players telling him where he should be.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #201
When the work and/or effort means not quite getting to contests, not being a marking option, and kicking out of bounds, grubbers and directly to the opposition, it's quite reasonable to question the selection of Daisy.

He may have an admirable attitude and give 100% but his best today is a shadow of what it was when he was at his peak.  I know some folk believe that he provides on field leadership but, from what I have observed, Daisy is fully engaged in self preservation and has little time or energy for anything else.

Pay particular attention to what he does when we're setting up after a goal.  He will generally run to the wrong position and will have several players telling him where he should be.

I guess the question is then..
Why does he keep getting picked?
Surely there must be a reason he's preferred over others.
I know we often look at a game with our own bias affecting our opinions so we'll see the little efforts or failures that others mightn't pick up on.
...but surely a coaching group would be all over the strengths and limitations of a player and they see fit to still pick him.

I refuse to believe, as some suggest, that he gets picked because he's on such a high salary.
That's a nonsense that if true would make us pretty screwed up as a club.
Nope there has to be another sound reason.

Reply #202
Yeah, there is... He's not as bad as some might have you think.
Easily in our best 22.
Maybe not worth the dough he is on, but still better than the other options we have.

Reply #203

Yes. Easily in our best 22.

Not the player he was a C'wood, but still worth his place in our side.
Not worth he money he's been getting, but still worth his place .
We should look very hard at the situation before signing him for another season, but he is still worth his place in the side.

If  the other players had come out to play with the same intensity that Daisy, Murphy and Kreuser did in the first quarter last week, we would have been much closer than we were at quarter time. 
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #204
If  the other players had come out to play with the same intensity that Daisy, Murphy and Kreuser did in the first quarter last week, we would have been much closer than we were at quarter time.

There is the reality of the situation, the shallow thinking blame game focused on Daisy lets the real disappointing players hide in his shadow.

If there are hard questions to be asked of Daisy, there must be much harder questions asked about some others.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #205
I guess the question is then..
Why does he keep getting picked?
Surely there must be a reason he's preferred over others.
I know we often look at a game with our own bias affecting our opinions so we'll see the little efforts or failures that others mightn't pick up on.
...but surely a coaching group would be all over the strengths and limitations of a player and they see fit to still pick him.

I refuse to believe, as some suggest, that he gets picked because he's on such a high salary.
That's a nonsense that if true would make us pretty screwed up as a club.
Nope there has to be another sound reason.

The simple answer is that Daisy gets picked because he is currently in our best 22 - although it must be a line-ball with Kerridge. He will continue to play until the likes of Cuningham, Lamb, Fisher, etc demand his spot.

There are several other players currently in our best 22 that need to be displaced before we will be truly competitive.  I guess that's the challenge for our development coaches and the benchmark for SOS's list management.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #206
The simple answer is that Daisy gets picked because he is currently in our best 22

So why does he cop 90% of the criticism when things go wrong?

Murphys handball to daisys feet drew a lot of criticism last week. It resulted in a goal to the opposition. The majority of people blamed daisy. It was clearly Murphys fault for not hitting the target (despite being under some pressure), yet he gets a pardon because of the bloke on the other end.
If the handball was to Cripps instead of Daisy, people would then be complaining about Murphy, because Cripps is more loved.

Reply #207
DJC sees what I see, and I ain't drinking the "he provides awesome leadership Kool-Aid".

People's tolerance of Daisy's limited output is over, that's why he is the whipping boy.  We - and let's face it we all did - expected so much more and we have due to circumstances received a sub-par result.  3 and a bit season of ... what?    How many games have you seen where he was clearly in the best three players....   ???

Then, trying to justify the deal with his supposed leadership prowess is, IMHO, verging on self-delusion.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #208
DJC sees what I see, and I ain't drinking the "he provides awesome leadership Kool-Aid".

People's tolerance of Daisy's limited output is over, that's why he is the whipping boy.  We - and let's face it we all did - expected so much more and we have due to circumstances received a sub-par result.  3 and a bit season of ... what?    How many games have you seen where he was clearly in the best three players....   ???

Then, trying to justify the deal with his supposed leadership prowess is, IMHO, verging on self-delusion.

There is a difference between trying to justify the deal, and pointing out that he provides leadership. They are not one and the same.

Who is drinking the kool-aid?
The ones who point out reasons why he gets picked each week?
The ones who ignore the fact that he is picked every week, thus thinking they know better than the coach and MC, and talk of self delusion?

I know the answer to that, i'm not sure you do.

Reply #209

Amen. I'd go as far to say Daisy would have the opposite effect - players get disgruntled where they see a highly paid dud (and that's certainly what he has become based on onfield performance) delivering little but getting selected week in, week out.
Finals, then 4 in a row!