Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 2 Pre Game Panic Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 43049 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 2 Pre Game Panic Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #165
Casboult has to back up ruck. White, no need to play him now. Prefer to play McKay.

Casboult's just as hopeless as a ruckman as he is as a forward but he and White are both named in the 18 so they are both playing.
I honestly can't see the point in persevering with blokes who we know aren't good enough and never will be, even if some of the kids aren't quite ready surely getting games and experience into them is a better move than going along with the plodders.
I don't buy the line that losing heavily destroys the kids' confidence and scars them, if they're any good their character will get them through and if not there's nothing lost.
It looks as though we've given up on Jaksch if he can't get a game in Sunday's side.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #166
Casboult's just as hopeless as a ruckman as he is as a forward but he and White are both named in the 18 so they are both playing.
I honestly can't see the point in persevering with blokes who we know aren't good enough and never will be, even if some of the kids aren't quite ready surely getting games and experience into them is a better move than going along with the plodders.
I don't buy the line that losing heavily destroys the kids' confidence and scars them, if they're any good their character will get them through and if not there's nothing lost.
It looks as though we've given up on Jaksch if he can't get a game in Sunday's side.

He's not. He actually rucked well last week. He's the only one of our back up ruckmen that can do anything around the ground. Plus we have no other back up ruckman we have right now.

Reply #167
So no changes?

Thomas, white both named....

Reply #168
I'm not concerned if he's a mid, forward or back. To start him in the guts is to change it up for him, and the team. Unleash him and give him the challenge/opportunity to get the ball rolling for us this week.

He was unleashed in the midfield last week and was like a lost dog. If he is to be a midfiel.der, he needs to learn how to play there.  I'd prefer to see him gain confidence in a role that he understands and can play well now.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #169
He's not. He actually rucked well last week. He's the only one of our back up ruckmen that can do anything around the ground. Plus we have no other back up ruckman we have right now.

Richmond's rookie ruckman shoved him out of the way, grabbed the ball and kicked a goal from a boundary throw in as easy as shelling peas, he's hopeless.
I'd sooner run Rowe as the second ruck like we did early with O'Hailpin when he was playing back, at least Rowe's not a complete liability when he's not on the ball.
No matter how much wishful thinking we employ about players like Casboult, White, Armfield and Ed Curnow the fact is that they are scrubbers who would never have got a game for us when we had decent sides and wouldn't get a game at any other side in the AFL.
It's just an indication of how far off the pace we are and how far we have still to go, even if every draft pick from last year and this make the grade we'll still be short of three or four good players.
I've still got patience, and I'm happy that we've finally got a coach who isn't a wacker, but I won't be getting excited until we get the scrubber count down to one or two each weekend.

So no changes?

Thomas, white both named....

Thomas named on an extended bench so could be dropped, White will play.

He was unleashed in the midfield last week and was like a lost dog. If he is to be a midfiel.der, he needs to learn how to play there.  I'd prefer to see him gain confidence in a role that he understands and can play well now.

Only the elite midfielders make a mark in their first 10 games, and not even all of them do.
Kouta looked very scrappy early on.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #170
I hear you and get you and understand where you are coming from.
But we are coming from SO FAR back that any positive no matter how small we seem to cling to.
Our stock of good players is as thick as tissue paper so if a player can pull some boots on, take marks and kick goals then he is a legend.
Other teams are able to pick up some knob at pick 45 and he turns out as a first 22, built like a brick st house and a 100 game match winner, I mean WTF. We pick up a top 10 player and he plays 15 games and ALWAYS looks like a string bean and couldn't hit the side of a barn door with a bag full of wheat.
Our playing list is so full of weakness and weak spots it is not funny.
SO MANY good picks stuffed up (no F**KING STUFFED UP) by incompetence.
The club we all love wants success but knows F**K all about how to get it. Why do other clubs get it and we don't?
Bolton has brought cohesion and that is all at the moment and with our thin list that is about as much as we can expect.
I understand we are on the road of a rebuild and want it and expect it and support it BUT who ever is left wearing that beautiful Navy Blue Guernsey I EXPECT them as an unconditional requirement they wear it with pride and play with INTENSITY and PASSION AND leave NOTHING on the field.
NOT go through the motion and collect their pay cheque. >:(

I agree with you about the club as a whole.

In regards to the Casboult part of it, in short, we know what we are going to get from him and it is well below average when compared to his peers.

It's like when we were playing Setanta. He was full of energy, tried his guts out and was a good athlete. However, he simply didn't have footy smarts and/or ability to pick up the nuances of the game.
From where he came from, he did a superb effort. Which brings me to this...
Pick 44 in the Rookie Draft....I reckon Casboult's exceeded expectations ;)
Simon White..same... 56 in the same rookie draft.

Once you are on the list, it doesn't matter where you were taken and if you exceeded expectations, or failed to live up to them. It matters what you can do out on the footy field.

Reply #171
Final Team ---  NO CHANGE

WOW

Reply #172
It's inconceivable that we can go into this game unchanged given the insipid effort last week.

Not sure that there's anything to lose by swapping Thomas or White for Kerridge and McKay. Hell, I'd even prefer to see Jaksch ahead of White.

Reply #173
It's inconceivable that we can go into this game unchanged given the insipid effort last week.

Not sure that there's anything to lose by swapping Thomas or White for Kerridge and McKay. Hell, I'd even prefer to see Jaksch ahead of White.

In all honesty, dropping anyone after 1 week is a bit harsh. For all his flaws and lack of motivation, and lack of effort in his game last year it was still harsh to drop Jaksch. He was brought in for 1 game then dropped never to be seen again.

At least everyone gets a 2nd crack at it now. No excuses if they put in another poor performance.

Reply #175
No doubt going in unchanged is a surprise, I am wondering what the msg is there? After out performance last week, i would have thought there would have been some.

Reply #176
No doubt going in unchanged is a surprise, I am wondering what the msg is there? After out performance last week, i would have thought there would have been some.

I'm not sure that it is much of a surprise.  There weren't too many blokes in the NBs whose performance screamed "pick me!"  Graham and McKay were  two who would have attracted the MC's attention.  Graham tries hard but I don't think he offers any more than Thomas (and I think I'm being generous to Graham here).  I would have liked to see McKay get a game but I suspect that his debut will be managed carefully.  Kerridge will have this week as an emergency and should then either get a game or go back to the NBs.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #177
Yeah, Mackay was the only 1 that really put his hand up for me, and I'm not really upset that they have kept him out.

For the 22 picked, again, there will be no excuses. There has to be a much better effort and performance this week.

@DJC, all the best to you and your boys this week!!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #178
How does Daisy do it?

Is it a miracle?

Love to hear your thoughts! ::)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #179

we should get insipid with not good enough O:-)