Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Round 4 : Pre Game thread - Carlton V Gold Coast (Read 29877 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Round 4 : Pre Game thread - Carlton V Gold Coast

Reply #30
I just don't rate Kerridge GTC. He is a very fumbly and frustrating player with erratic disposal. I think we've seen whatever we are likely to get from him already over plenty of previous games. Personally I prefer Army but he was also pretty horrible in his last game. I'd give Palmer another go though at this stage.
110% agree Cookie, wasn't suggesting for a minute Kerridge was part of our future. I was also going to write that he played out of his skin last year early on then faded badly in the second half of the season. The future is SPS, Willo, Marchy, Plow, Weiters, Doc, SOS, Macreadie, Pickett. Then there's CC (when he pulls his finger out), Fish, H, Flippa (when he gets back from injury), Byrne, Sheehan. All these blokes will keep Kerridge, Army and co. out of the side much sooner than we all think.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #31
110% agree Cookie, wasn't suggesting for a minute Kerridge was part of our future. I was also going to write that he played out of his skin last year early on then faded badly in the second half of the season. The future is SPS, Willo, Marchy, Plow, Weiters, Doc, SOS, Macreadie, Pickett. Then there's CC (when he pulls his finger out), Fish, H, Flippa (when he gets back from injury), Byrne, Sheehan. All these blokes will keep Kerridge, Army and co. out of the side much sooner than we all think.

Yep. We'll see some exciting talent emerge this year for sure.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #32
Yep. We'll see some exciting talent emerge this year for sure.

Due to some brilliant list management and recruiting from SOS and the boys. The contrast to the previous years is saddening.

Reply #33
Off topic, but Hurley gave Weitering a pat on the arse when he came back on the field.

Was a nice touch.

Hurley was a nice kid who has developed into a nice guy with a much better haircut - has always played with more than a little aggression though. I had hoped we would draft him; he only had to last for one more pick.

Reply #34
Hurley was a nice kid who has developed into a nice guy with a much better haircut - has always played with more than a little aggression though. I had hoped we would draft him; he only had to last for one more pick.

Just be safe in the knowledge that our mental lightweights wouldn't have picked him anyway.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #35
Weitering's far from our number one player and Simmo, while a favourite son, isn't our spiritual leader.

We'd miss both, but not as much as we'd miss a dozen others ... and that's a good thing!

We'd miss Murphy and Cripps more.

Reply #36
We'd miss Murphy and Cripps more.

Add Kruezer and Rowe too.

Both play roles that while they don't appear as much on the stats sheet, are vital to us being competitive.

Reply #37
No change this week I'm tipping.
Weitering should be OK to play, Kerridge and Palmer were both average but deserve another chance on a dry track.
Pickett is only just going but there aren't any small forwards in the VFL crying out to be picked, and even though he hasn't done much what he's done has shown some polish and flair and he has genuine pace.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #38
No change this week I'm tipping.
Weitering should be OK to play, Kerridge and Palmer were both average but deserve another chance on a dry track.
Pickett is only just going but there aren't any small forwards in the VFL crying out to be picked, and even though he hasn't done much what he's done has shown some polish and flair and he has genuine pace.

Reckon Pickett will get one more chance on the dry ground at Etihad, I think he is a very skilled player but at the minute is more of a cameo type who needs to make more of his chances.
Gallucci was ordinary vs Port so I dont see a quick promotion for him, maybe a fit Jed Lamb might challenge Pickett for a place but I prefer we keep getting games into Pickett as he has more upside.

Reply #39
Reckon Pickett will get one more chance on the dry ground at Etihad, I think he is a very skilled player but at the minute is more of a cameo type who needs to make more of his chances.
Gallucci was ordinary vs Port so I dont see a quick promotion for him, maybe a fit Jed Lamb might challenge Pickett for a place but I prefer we keep getting games into Pickett as he has more upside.

Yeah, I'll cut Pickett some slack because of the conditions, he'll learn from seeing Murphy and Gibbs go to work.

Wright was also quieter than I expected.

I was pleasantly surprised by the way SPS contributed, rain is one thing, rain and cold another but it didn't phase him in the slightest.

I think Gussy is most likely the only promotion, but I am not sure anyone goes out, maybe the fast surface sees Kerridge or Palmer under the pump but it's tough to call a bloke after one outing.

I think a no change is the very short favorite.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #40
Give Pickett a chance, noting he sees himself as a mid and not a small forward.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #41
Re Jed Lamb, I'm not sure about him and I cant work him out. He's one of the blokes that doesn't do enough to get noticed yet doesn't do SFA either. He sort of flies under the radar to me, either that or I just dont look hard enough at what he does/doesnt do :o :o I could not definitively say whether he is fast, slow, skillful, unskillful, hard, soft etc etc. I am tempted to lean towards the old "VFL player at best" label.
Whats Sumner's story this year? Injured? CBFed?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #42
On Lamb and Sumner : tough gig playing small forward for cfc at the moment.

Reply #43
On Lamb and Sumner : tough gig playing small forward for cfc at the moment.

Boekhorst got a bit of the ball in the VFL so he could be a chance, not sure what's going on with Dylan Buckley.
We've got about half a dozen small forwards, it's finding a good one that seems to be the problem.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #44
It's interesting that some commentators are now reflecting on Richmond's and Melbourne's performances in the first two games in a positive light by declaring  ..."Well maybe Carlton aren't so bad after all"...meaning their wins had a bit more merit than they were credited with at the time.

Big test this week against a side that will be determined to back up  their win on the weekend.
We'll have a much better idea about our side after this game.