Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Round 4 : Pre Game thread - Carlton V Gold Coast (Read 30594 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Round 4 : Pre Game thread - Carlton V Gold Coast

Reply #105
The kid has talent, he has shown it, he just lacks the confidence that he belongs.
Maybe he has taken a big hit or something else is in his head or even what BB is asking him to do goes against his natural game style.
So he is always double checking his actions not doing things 2nd nature like.
He just needs a game where he takes a couple of grabs in front of goals and slots them and then I think we will see the real CC.
Just say CC  :D

i recall back when the 2015 draft was imminent there were a few scribes suggesting young Charlie could even have been a possible #1 in his draft but for that indiscretion!!

His ability to play anywhere is extraordinary and what? He's now grown to 194cm or so? Yes, he should be given time, Bolts needs to work out how to best use him to get him involved in a game....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #106
Been dropped before getting a game! Harsh.

I think you mean Palmer. ;)

Sorry, my mistake! I think Graham would be seen in similar light though even so.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #107
I'm still happy to see him play but he was absolutely dropped last week.

Mostly because of the conditions but he was still dropped.

re Curnow
It could have only been because of the conditions on Sunday because if he was fit to play it wouldn't have made a lot of sense to deny him game time in the VFL on Saturday.

Reply #108
re Curnow
It could have only been because of the conditions on Sunday because if he was fit to play it wouldn't have made a lot of sense to deny him game time in the VFL on Saturday.

He was effectively emergency anyway meaning he still wouldn't have played.

More often than not we have a late change. Do you think there is a plague of warm up injuries affecting the club... or Bolton loves trying to wrong foot the opposition lineup?

Reply #109
Still think that at this stage it's important for him to be playing games not sitting on the sidelines.

If fit... he plays. Whether that's in the first team or VFL
In fact given his start to the season it's probably important for him to be getting game time.

His playing or missing for Palmer wouldn't have caused Essendon to much heartache in terms of tactical match-ups

Reply #110
It's very early doors still with Charlie Curnow but I would have liked to see him impact some games a bit more than he has to date.
He has undoubted talent but I hope we aren't still talking about his potential and lack of confidence in two years from now.
Petrevski-Seton, on the other hand................................. :)
Fisher looks like a hard at it terrier from the little I've seen, not overly possessed of skills and like a lot of left footers doesn't have a strong right side, but some players can make that work.
I'm looking forward to watching him play and if he can measure up he could be the engine room player we need to give Cripps a chop out.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #111
Loving that Bolts isn't afraid to play the kids, and so far, they all look like they belong at senior level. This has to be one of the youngest Carlton teams ever fielded at AFL senior level. About half the side is 22 and under.
Such a refreshing approach, and one we ve never experienced before, as the last time we tried to 'rebuild and had a plethora of early picks, we had the two clowns Pagan and Hughes in charge and were pissing picks away on duds like Russell, Bower, Hampson, Grigg, Hartlett etc.

Reply #112
Such a refreshing approach, and one we ve never experienced before, as the last time we tried to 'rebuild and had a plethora of early picks, we had the two clowns Pagan and Hughes in charge and were pissing picks away on duds like Russell, Bower, Hampson, Grigg, Hartlett etc.

Without wanting to dredge up the past Pagan was banned from the draft for his first two seasons and Russell's was an ordinary draft after the top half dozen.
I agree that our second and third rounders have been mostly duds but that has applied for almost two decades and still applied only a couple of seasons ago, long after Pagan departed.
Do Boekhorst, Vojo-Rainbow, Smith, Giles, Holman and Temay ring any bells?
We should wait and see how things pan out before we start thinking we've finally mastered the draft.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #113
It's very early doors still with Charlie Curnow but I would have liked to see him impact some games a bit more than he has to date.
He has undoubted talent but I hope we aren't still talking about his potential and lack of confidence in two years from now.
Petrevski-Seton, on the other hand................................. :)
Fisher looks like a hard at it terrier from the little I've seen, not overly possessed of skills and like a lot of left footers doesn't have a strong right side, but some players can make that work.
I'm looking forward to watching him play and if he can measure up he could be the engine room player we need to give Cripps a chop out.

Fisher is a smart player and has good evasion in traffic, I wanted him pre draft because he is a natural footballer rather than an athlete, I think his skills are ok and having no right foot wont hurt him
as he can work on that for the future. Only negative I see is his size, 175cm and 68kg is a tough ask at senior AFL level especially with the fad of having bigger bodied mids still with us.
Hopefully he can grow a bit and be smart enough to overcome his lack of size as plenty have done before him....SOS was on the money drafting him and I expect him to play plenty of good senior footy in the Navy Blue....reckon he is a natural replacement for Kade Simpson...KS was a smallish winger when he started and found life tough early but the rest is history..

Reply #114
Fisher is a smart player and has good evasion in traffic, I wanted him pre draft because he is a natural footballer rather than an athlete, I think his skills are ok and having no right foot wont hurt him
as he can work on that for the future. Only negative I see is his size, 175cm and 68kg is a tough ask at senior AFL level especially with the fad of having bigger bodied mids still with us.
Hopefully he can grow a bit and be smart enough to overcome his lack of size as plenty have done before him....SOS was on the money drafting him and I expect him to play plenty of good senior footy in the Navy Blue....reckon he is a natural replacement for Kade Simpson...KS was a smallish winger when he started and found life tough early but the rest is history..

In one of the pre-season training clips, Fisher takes on Casboult.  Casboult nailed him but Fisher showed no hesitation in trying to get past the big bloke.  If that's his attitude, I don't expect his small stature to hold him back.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog!

And that reminds me of the Chihuahua that killed the Great Dane ... the Great Dane choked trying to swallow the Chihuahua  ;)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #115

Not sure a kid 68kg will be given the task of providing Cripps with a chop out.  He's more 'see ball, get ball, take 'me on, then deliver!'.

Reply #116
Not sure a kid 68kg will be given the task of providing Cripps with a chop out.  He's more 'see ball, get ball, take 'me on, then deliver!'.

Exactly I see him in the mould of Isaac Smith or Gaff. I would love him to just develop into a powerhouse runner especially like Smith and just deliver.

Everyone will talk about his size but he has smarts to cover that I think and be really effective on the outside.

Reply #117

Admittedly I've only seen about 5 or 10 minutes of him but he doesn't seem to mind mixing it up in the heat of things.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, as the old saying goes, but we'll see what he's made of soon enough.

Reply #118
In regards to Fischer we've heard the same thing about lightweight / skinny players over and over again. Blokes like Hunter, Flower, Camporeale and Simpson were all too small to make it at AFL level apparently!

You have to be big and strong with mature AFL ready bodies like Matthew Watson, Aisake O'hAilpin, Rob Warnock, Paul Bower or Kane Lucas! ;)

My only concern picking so many kids, is that we have too many kids and no guardians!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #119
In regards to Fischer we've heard the same thing about lightweight / skinny players over and over again. Blokes like Hunter, Flower, Camporeale and Simpson were all too small to make it at AFL level apparently!

You have to be big and strong with mature AFL ready bodies like Matthew Watson, Aisake O'hAilpin, Rob Warnock, Paul Bower or Kane Lucas! ;)

My only concern picking so many kids, is that we have too many kids and no guardians!

That was my concern too LP but it's a lot less of a concern after the last round.  The kids seem more than capable of looking after themselves.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball