Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 13: Post Game Prattling-Carlton v Fremantle (Read 37882 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 13: Post Game Prattling-Carlton v Fremantle

Reply #210
Can you have a good culture and lose games? Can you have a bad culture and win premierships?

It's possible. I think for discussion purposes, one can distinguish between on field and off field culture, although in reality they're tightly intertwined.  We don't seem to have any troublemakers, but we don't really seem to have any match winners either.

Thinking solely about the mens senior team for now, my hope is that what we are seeing is down to inexperience and growing pains, that simply with the passage of time, games into kids, games into Bolton, that the boys will get it together. But maybe I'm naive.

Reply #211
Why wouldn’t he be played if he earned it in the VFL?

Reply #212
Two out of twenty two games....

Expand it by ten more games.

If you add more than three wins you can ignore that bullcrap.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #213
Can you have a good culture and lose games? Can you have a bad culture and win premierships?

West Coast would say yes, but culture can mean different things to different people.
Carlton's culture was one of unbridled arrogance, we've certainly got nothing to be arrogant about these days but old habits die hard.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #214
There's a couple of different types of culture.

One is to do with the players.  This culture isn't as important to be good or bad so long as they're committed to the club.  I think this is what Richmond have managed to work out over the last three years.  They're not model professionals but they're committed to each other and the club.

The most important culture is club culture.   It's the basis for how everything at the football club operates whilst they're there.  It's what makes people feel valued and it's what dictates how people operate.

Our club has not been the model of operations in recent history.

Once upon a time we had the reputation as being the professionals.  Now we're playing catch up.

Paul Hewson

Reply #216
There are three hell bent on whacking our kids and our coach, no matter what happened on the day they are not prepared to give any ground.

There is some irony around Duck being a voice of intelligent reason! I believe Duck when he says he cares for the game, the other clearly go for the glory, ratings and content that controversy brings! Of course Duck is probably the only one on the panel that doesn't need the job!

The worry is that our club will again allow itself to be driven by the media, in much the same way that the MM appointment came about!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #217
TF is the only footy show I get to watch and I’ve noted that Duck is a big supporter of Bolton/CFC, makes a nice change.

As for the issues raised, everyone’s point was valid.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #218
TF is the only footy show I get to watch and I’ve noted that Duck is a big supporter of Bolton/CFC, makes a nice change.

As for the issues raised, everyone’s point was valid.

You can tell from the comments made who are men and who are boys, you can also build a loose association between the type of comments they make and the type of player they were. Players who kick somebody when they are down! Have a look at Lyon joining in the kicking today, Garry Lyon, really?

Again given the context of this discussion the Duck perspective has it's irony, but he's clearly the man!

Lets not mince words, Darcy is pushing the wagon to deflect from the Dogs dismal efforts(Did you know they were premiers two seasons ago, yet Carlton is the big issue after the weekend!), BT is led like a brainless bull into any debate that delivers him a feed, and Brown is beholding to the scraps offered by others. They are are bottom feeders that would make Hunchy proud!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #219
You can tell from the comments made who are men and who are boys, you can also build a loose association between the type of comments they make and the type of player they were. Players who kick somebody when they are down! Have a look at Lyon joining in the kicking today, Garry Lyon, really?

Again given the context of this discussion the Duck perspective has it's irony, but he's clearly the man!

Lets not mince words, Darcy is pushing the wagon to deflect from the Dogs dismal efforts(Did you know they were premiers two seasons ago, yet Carlton is the big issue after the weekend!), BT is led like a brainless bull into any debate that delivers him a feed, and Brown is beholding to the scraps offered by others. They are are bottom feeders that would make Hunchy proud!

BT is a fool.

He doesn't have anything worth noting to say and speaks only to be heard.

Paul Hewson

Reply #220
BT is a fool.

Yep, speaks a lot but doesn't say anything.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #221
BT is a fool.

But there remains in the general public a large contigency that want to believe;

As Simon & Garfunkel wrote;

I am just a poor boy though my story's seldom told
I have squandered my resistance for a pocketful of mumbles, such are promises
All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #222
But there remains in the general public a large contigency that want to believe;

As Simon & Garfunkel wrote;

"In the clearing stands a boxer
And a fighter by his trade"

we could do with a few of these !
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #223
"In the clearing stands a boxer
And a fighter by his trade"

we could do with a few of these !

I do agree, and not just on the field!

I suppose the on field part is why Mitch Robinson's name appears in some recent threads!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #224
Who's talking the most sense in this segment...I know who I pick ;) :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiL9Y3E4E20&feature=youtu.be

One of the reasons I listen more closely to some commentators than others. I've always taken more notice of Duck's thoughts than many others. However, the others were also right. How come we rolled up half asleep? Where were our leaders in the first half? Was it 2016 when we rocked up to the Gabba for a very winnable game and stunk the place up in the first half, only to almost snatch it in the 2nd half?

I guess the bottom line is we seem to have 4 categories of blokes at our club, the leaders/experienced blokes have been brought up on failure (apart from a tease in 2011 - perhaps our senior blokes learned something from Juddy?) so they haven't learned behaviour around excellence in every minute of every game, kids... we all know the inconsistencies you get with these, journeymen and glass men.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17