Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 18: Post Game Partying: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 25170 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 18: Post Game Partying: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #75
Who is this Bolts you speak of... think I'd better watch his post game media conference. Looks to me like Polson's being groomed to be our 'stopper'... post Curnow E. His ability to get from contest to contest and negate is very good... so it seemed logical.

He had better spend a few pre seasons with that Windy Hill crew.....worked wonders for Heppell back when?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #76
He has the speed and hunger. Its a good start.

I just don’t see it with polsen. I admit he runs hard so maybe there’s a future in athletics for the young man rather then as a footballer.

Watched footy for over 40 years and can’t think of many that are as lost as this kid when he finally does touch the ball which is usually under 5-6 times a game. Has no clue what to do other then just try and ran thru opposition players until he is pinged or turns it over.

If we had lost would his report card be as forgiving? 

Reply #77
I just don’t see it with polsen. I admit he runs hard so maybe there’s a future in athletics for the young man rather then as a footballer.

Watched footy for over 40 years and can’t think of many that are as lost as this kid when he finally does touch the ball which is usually under 5-6 times a game. Has no clue what to do other then just try and ran thru opposition players until he is pinged or turns it over.

I'm with you Shawny, dont get the love for Polson, as you say chases, runs hard etc etc but so does a chook minus its head.....when he does get the ball on the odd occasion he usually murders
it with high school disposal....had some divine intervention with his leg spinning goal the week before but vs GC I found it hard to get enthused about his output.
He does however seem popular with coach and team-mates.....maybe Nick Graham should hang around with him and have some of that Polson charm rub off, seems to work wonders with the match committee .....

Reply #78

I really hate negative posts like this about kids.

You're only looking for glimpses with a 19 year old playing forward pocket and he's showing more and more all the time.

Reply #79

I like Polson even when we're losing :D
I've liked him since his excitement on draft night;
So does Bolton...have a look at his post match.
It's not always about the possessions
He's applying forward pressure
He has speed and aggression and he tackles with intent.
Is his impact great?...probably not at this stage.
But he had a good patch in the VFL earlier this year so he can play a bit
He''s learning his trade and in a few years with a bit more strength he might not be getting pinged in those tackles.
He's very much a wait and see prospect

Reply #80
We have more interstate wins than Richmond this year now!

Reply #81
I really hate negative posts like this about kids.

You're only looking for glimpses with a 19 year old playing forward pocket and he's showing more and more all the time.
Shawny was accurate IMO and the kid is lucky to be playing because glimpses of anything great are rare....
Have a gander at these stats.....Polson had 4 disposals @ 25% DE with 2 clangars...plus 4 tackles.......Not really a cracker of a game you would agree.
He is obviously a popular player with his teammates and coach because he wouldnt be getting a game based on his output IMO.....

Reply #82
I like Polson even when we're losing :D
I've liked him since his excitement on draft night;
So does Bolton...have look at his post match.
It's not always about the possessions
He's applying forward pressure
He has speed and aggression and he tackles with intent.

Go back 2 years ago and Richmond had a whole bunch of ‘no name brand’ little forwards  who were slowly learning what extreme forward pressure really means. Polson, like 6-8 of our other young kids are still strictly works in progress.

Reply #83
Shawny was accurate IMO and the kid is lucky to be playing because glimpses of anything great are rare....
Have a gander at these stats.....Polson had 4 disposals @ 25% DE with 2 clangars...plus 4 tackles.......Not really a cracker of a game you would agree.
He is obviously a popular player with his teammates and coach because he wouldnt be getting a game based on his output IMO.....

I've watched footy for 40 years and I reckon he's crap.. blah blah.

You play small forward and you're asked to sacrifice your game to make sure Harbrow doesn't cut us to pieces because that's where they got the swans the week before and you do it well and we win.

Then your own "40 year expert" supporters are delisting you 5 minutes later.

Reply #84
how often does the winner come from the worst team?

Never....

This question was raised recently.

The answer was twice.

...and not for the past 50 odd years i don't think.

So i researched my own answer to confirm.

It was correct, but longer than i'd anticipated.

The only time a player has won the brownlow in a side that finished bottom is...

1. 1936 - Denis 'Dinny' Ryan (Fitzroy)
2. 1949 - Col Austen* (Hawthorn)

*He tied with Ron Clegg (South Melbourne) who finished 3rd last.

Here's a fun fact though...
Only 1 person has won a brownlow from a team that finished 13th or lower on the ladder. (So starting from 1987 (14 teams) and on).

*tick tock*

*tick tock*

2013 - Gary Ablett - Gold Coast finished 14th.

....so nobody has EVER won a brownlow from a team who finished 15th or lower (So 1991 (15 teams) and on).

P. Cripps - 3 votes.

Reply #85
Watched footy for over 40 years and can’t think of many that are as lost as this kid.

You would then remember a K Simpson early on or an A Koutifides in his first in and out season (‘he’s an athlete trying to be a footballer, nothing more.)  .....and there are plenty more examples throughout the AFL. 

Patience while we find out  (we had Gowers as a dud too)

Reply #86
I've watched footy for 40 years and I reckon he's crap.. blah blah.

You play small forward and you're asked to sacrifice your game to make sure Harbrow doesn't cut us to pieces because that's where they got the swans the week before and you do it well and we win.

Then your own "40 year expert" supporters are delisting you 5 minutes later.

Harbrow had 13 possies vs the Swans and wasnt close to being in their best but had 24 possies vs us......
No one is saying to delist him.....just dont try and sell us the story he is some world beater either because the stats dont back it up.....he is the least impressive of our kids but is
acquiring some cult status because he is very school boyish and gets the sympathy vote because the game is a struggle for him.....good luck to him, hope he gets better but dont knock Shawny
for telling the real story rather than buying into the fairy tale....

Reply #87
Bolton singled him out in his post match
We've signed him for another two years.
The people with expectations obviously rate him... so although he may not be as good as some of us think, I suspect he's not as bad as some of us think.
Let's call it a draw ;D

Reply #88

Listen, i copped a lot of crap in the off-season for suggesting Polson would be high (possibly #1) on the delist list.
He has hardly set the world on fire since.
However, i've seen glimpses in him which i like.

He's just played his 9th game. Data for 9th game hasn't been updated yet
Some stats for people to consider though...
StatPlayer APlayer B
Age on Debut19y 41d  19y 34d
Age on 9th game20y 139d  21y 2d
Highest disposals (in first 8 games)  159
Average dispoals (in first 8 games)  7.632.75
Average tackles (in first 8 games)  2.881.22
Total Scores (in first 8 games)  1 goal 51 goal 2
Total inside 50's (in first 8 games)  114
Total rebound 50's (in first 8 games)  01
Contested:uncontested possession ratio   32:36 (47%)   10:12 (45%)
Draft pick taken5945
-
-
NamePolsonSimpson

Reply #89
Aside from the obvious contribution of our leaders, I was impressed with:

Lobbe consistent ruck effort and strong follow up
Kennedy's strength and composure
Samo's vision and delivery
Jack's nous and improvement in close
Dow looks like he's having a ball and loves the blues