Skip to main content
Topic: Murphy Growing Into Leadership Role - AGE (Read 18564 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Murphy Growing Into Leadership Role - AGE

Reply #15
And FWIW smarta55, Carrazzo would've been a sht captain he cant even get on the park and this year he'll be 31. I have said many times last year that in hindsight you wouldn't have had Carrazzo as captain anyway. You can quote me on that but then you have nothing to work with. Enjoy.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #16

You have been beating this drum for the last 2 years and its BS.

You actually started with Judd, and then we turned him into an inside midfielder and broke him and then you moved on to Murphy.

Its not about love child, or negative words, its about a biased opinion against him because he got what you would call Carrazzo's captaincy.

Carry on yourself.

That's an easy cop out for you well done!

I have been on to Murph well before any captaincy and if you go back through the threads in 2011 I was in full support of him because he changed his game and did some of the tough stuff, chased tackled etc.

You think you know everything but in reality you know sweet FA, especially about me and my opinions.

Show me where I bagged Murphy in this thread oh precious one. Or are you just a little too defensive?

@JC

Agree 100%.

I bolded a statement for you.  You dont like it, fair enough, but I have seen you support players (from multiple codes reminding you of where I first came to know you) and not accept criticism of them, and give them every excuse in the book for not doing the same things that you are more than ready to throw at other players as criticism. 

In regards to me being too defensive, perhaps thats true.  Although I'd like to think I'm not, but I want fair criticisms of our players.

Some matches you can state that they didnt do these things.  Not as a general rule of how they play footy though which is what you are in fact saying here.

In any case, apologies if I offended you.  I dont pretend to know everything, I just provide my opinion on stuff and if people agree or disagree then so be it.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #17
Apology accepted.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #18
Murphy needs to worry about getting a kick more than leadership.....you to tend to be a better leader when you are having personal success on the field and its all due to confidence. He was injured and the taggers had his measure last season, if he has overcome his injury and Dean Laidley has some strategies to help him get a kick then his leadership wont be an issue.
With Betts gone I'm keen for Murphy to spend time forward and become a regular goalkicker ...ditto for Gibbs.

Reply #19
I agree Murphy is a super dangerous forward perhaps he's better suited there with the odd stint in the middle.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #20
We can't continue to have our better players out of the middle. We won't be going anywhere is we stay on that course.

Reply #21
Owwww our little Murphy is growing up. I remember when he was the baby.  ;D

Reply #22
This is rubbish. He was an AA midfielder for christ's sake. Even Judd said he was the best midfielder at the club at one stage. He just needs support.

Having said that, because of the cap rotations he probably will rest forward quite a bit.

Reply #24
But both went when it was their turn.

One of my favourite aspects of Campo's game was his willingness to run down opponents. It's almost like he got some sort of perverse satisfaction out of it. He used to chase and tackle with real intent.

Bradley my memory has faded with regards to his defensive side but I remember in his final year when we were getting smacked and had no ball winners he was in there winning the hard ball at the ripe old age of 37(?). Played through a wet day with broken ribs.

Murph is a brilliant footballer. If he could improve on his weaknesses he could be one of our best ever. It'll be a shame if we never see it.

I can't help but think you have let the years of time muddy your memories.

Before you brought it up i was actually going to say one of the few times i remember Bradley going for the ball was when he got broken ribs out of it.

A few stats, Murphy (588 / 165) has more career tackles than both Braddles (546 / 375) and Campo (484 / 252)

Yes, there are more stoppages nowadays so tackle numbers are inflated.

So lets compare apples with apples.
Between 2006 and 2007 Murphy played 35 games and managed 96 tackles. Avg 2.60/game
Between 2006 and 2007 Campo played 19 games and managed 46 tackles. Avg 2.42/game

Murphy as a teenager tackled more than the veteran Campo over the same period of time.

FWIW, Murphy now averages 3.56 tackles a game.

As for going when its their turn....
How about Murphy going in against the lions and doing his shoulder in his first season?

Or more recently....

[flash=560,315]http://www.youtube.com/v/_pO5IruAdO0[/flash]

Reply #25
The proof will not be in pre-season training or practice matches. The proof will be in the season as a whole...
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #26
its positive that it has been acknowledged he has to improve in the area of leadership. I will give him one more year
he'd have more confidence getting over all the niggles. If we get more of the same - come in hendo 2015

Reply #27
@kruddler

He was told by Ratts to go on and win his own ball just prior to that shoulder injury, so obviously Ratts had the same opinion as I did. He was obviously upset by the comment so he went in hard, I'll give him that but it just goes to show he doesn't know how to win the hardball, every time he tries he gets injured. As I said previously, I accept he's not that type of player but to allow opposition to just walk through his tackles or to go through entire games without a solitary tackle ( happened many times last season, most notably against Sydney in the final) is just unacceptable for a captain playing as a midfielder in the heat of the action. In fact it's quite mindblowing TBH. A that it happened and B that no one seems to think it's an issue. Perfect example of my point where Murphy just gets a free pass from most.

Re Campo those stats are from his Scum days where he played with little to no passion and was far past his best are they not? Not really apples with apples is it? Not like you to mislead with stats is it?! :P
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #28
I blame Nick Stevens for setting such a sh1t example for the young lads to follow..  Anyone using Nick at the time as a mentor needed to be reprogrammed after he left. Some have taken longer than others to rid themselves of any Stevoism traits...

Ahhhh well lets just see how this little gem goes down..  ;D

Reply #29
I blame Nick Stevens for setting such a sh1t example for the young lads to follow..  Anyone using Nick at the time as a mentor needed to be reprogrammed after he left. Some have taken longer than others to rid themselves of any Stevoism traits...

Ahhhh well lets just see how this little gem goes down..  ;D

I think that post is known as a :

"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"