Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 8: Carlton vs GWS (Read 12491 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 8: Carlton vs GWS

Reply #45
PP...yeah happy having Setterfield but he seems to play more outside/wing than in the guts. Kennedy seems to be regularly in the best in the VFL (don't get much of it over here) but there seems to be other guys that get a berth in the team ahead of him....just curious as to whether there's something about his game that's not up to standard? I guess we'll see later this arvo when final squads are announced.
So far Setters hasn't had the physique to be an inside player: he had the height and he wasn't slow, but he was a stick figure against The Mountain. As a result he has been an outside player, much in the way the young Kouta was. Setters hasn't taken many big marks, but he does have decent hands. In time he will develop. His injuries have stunted his development so far, no doubt.
At the moment he isn't really doing enough (my humble opinion). However, I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until he gets his body and mind right.
I am hopeful of seeing improvement in numbers and intensity as the season goes on. If that doesn't happen, then I will be asking questions.

Kennedy has been doing well enough in the VFL, but he hasn't been tearing games apart. As an inside player with a big body, I was expecting more power inside, like Cripps has. I haven't seen much of that yet. He has been quite reasonable at getting the ball outside, but that is not what we were looking for from him. His marking is OK, but his defensive efforts to this point have been substandard. His kicking for goal has not been particularly reliable to this point: think Levi Casboult. I have not given up on this guy yet, but I am looking for clearances, tackles and goals.
Last year, against the Tigers, he had 7 possessions in the first quarter before getting injured. Three of those lead directly to scores. If he can keep that up, then he will have a spot.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #46
Newman and Macreadie in for Plowman and Williamson.

Reply #47
Newman and Macreadie in for Plowman and Williamson.
Im ok with that, like for like. Now go and do the business.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #48
Macreadie is down as 6’6” in the old. Does that surprise anyone else???

Reply #49
Macreadie is down as 6’6” in the old. Does that surprise anyone else???

Nope.

He was 196cm when we drafted him.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #51
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/carlton-dig-deep-into-defensive-stocks-20190517-p51olc.html

No Coniglio or Langdon - two significant outs....

Coniglio has been their best by some distance this year.

Mumford will be slower than  snail. Kreuzer needs to work him over....

I really like our chances.

I reckon we are some chance too...very cocky to rest Coniglio( I dont buy the injury story at all, like Beams he has been rested IMO)
Prefer if Mummy wasnt playing, Kreuzer doesnt really enjoy the big physical types so as you say I hope he can tire Mummy out...
Cripps will need to shake Debeor and have a blinder for us to win though...Kelly, Taranto, Whitfield and Hopper is still a decent unit.
The other problem will be Cameron , if he is on thats probably the end of the game, big challenge for Weitering...

Reply #52
I reckon we are some chance too...very cocky to rest Coniglio( I dont buy the injury story at all, like Beams he has been rested IMO)
Prefer if Mummy wasnt playing, Kreuzer doesnt really enjoy the big physical types so as you say I hope he can tire Mummy out...
Cripps will need to shake Debeor and have a blinder for us to win though...Kelly, Taranto, Whitfield and Hopper is still a decent unit.
The other problem will be Cameron , if he is on thats probably the end of the game, big challenge for Weitering...

If the pies 'team' can't stop Crippa, Deboer has no chance...

Kreuzer should relish this....

Cameron - our midfield stops him, not Weiters or Macreadie.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #53
It's a big game for Casboult.

He's in the team as backup ruck and tall defender.
I don't think he has a hope in hell against Cameron, so he better be good at zoning off and blocking his run/space.

Ruck wise it's as good as you could hope for with Mumford. Cas should throw his weight around and run off his ruck opponent for the first time ever. It's just down to how much ruck time hell have against mummy. Not much I suspect.

Sounds silly, but if Casboult can have a good game we're in with a chance. I can't help but feel hell be a liability in this game purely down to match ups down back.

Reply #54
I'd really like to see Macreadie get a good run at it. I reckon he is a pure defender, knows when to mark it, knows when to punch it, has good speed for a big fella and is a good kick. Given time in the side, I hope he can cement himself in our back line. From the small sample size that I have seen, talent and defence wise, I prefer him to Plowman (who has been very ordinary this year). Reminds me a little of Grimes.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #55
I'd really like to see Macreadie get a good run at it. I reckon he is a pure defender, knows when to mark it, knows when to punch it, has good speed for a big fella and is a good kick. Given time in the side, I hope he can cement himself in our back line. From the small sample size that I have seen, talent and defence wise, I prefer him to Plowman (who has been very ordinary this year). Reminds me a little of Grimes.

Me too but he's straight back from injury - again?

I would have given Goddard a crack but you'd think Macreadie is more mobile....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #56
Me too but he's straight back from injury - again?

I would have given Goddard a crack but you'd think Macreadie is more mobile....

He returned when Williamson did.  Hes had a couple of vfl games and they just had a bye round.

I think he's played 2 matches in the vfl.  From what I've seen of Goddard he's only going to get a go if there are no other options available for key talls.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #57
CARLTON
B: Dale Thomas, Jacob Weitering, Caleb Marchbank
HB: Nic Newman, Mitch McGovern, Jack Silvagni
C: Sam Petrevski-Seton, Patrick Cripps, Ed Curnow
HF: Zac Fisher, Charlie Curnow, Marc Murphy
F: Michael Gibbons, Harry McKay, Will Setterfield
R: Matthew Kreuzer, Sam Walsh, Paddy Dow
Int: Harrison Macreadie, David Cuningham, Liam Stocker, Levi Casboult

Emg: Lochie O'Brien, Matthew Kennedy, Jarrod Garlett, Alex Fasolo

IN: Nic Newman, Harrison Macreadie

OUT: Tom Williamson (Injured), Lachie Plowman (Injured)

GWS GIANTS
B: Zac Williams, Nick Haynes, Heath Shaw
HB: Sam Taylor, Phil Davis, Sam J. Reid
C: Jeremy Finlayson, Tim Taranto, Adam Tomlinson
HF: Matt de Boer, Jeremy Cameron, Daniel Lloyd
F: Brent Daniels, Harry Himmelberg, Toby Greene
R: Shane Mumford, Jacob Hopper, Josh Kelly
Int: Lachie Whitfield, Brett Deledio, Adam Kennedy, Harry Perryman
Emg: Dawson Simpson, Lachlan Keeffe, Isaac Cumming, Jackson Hately

IN: Shane Mumford, Lachie Whitfield, Brett Deledio, Harry Perryman
OUT: Dawson Simpson (Omitted), Stephen Coniglio (Injured), Zac Langdon (Injured), Matt Buntine (Omitted)

I am happy to see Fasolo not in the team.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #58
I’m sitting in a conference just across the road from Giants ground, literally 50 or 100 metres away. Open training starts at 3 pm. “Guidelines for new injectable diabetes medications" starts at 3.15.  :-\

Reply #59
Kennedy, O’Brien, Garnett are all non starters for the Northern Blues. I smell at least 1 change.