Skip to main content
Topic: View Beyond the Shades - Analysis (Read 11588 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: View Beyond the Shades - Analysis

Reply #15
I think he's finished and we should delist him.

Has a contract and we have enough ordinary players that he'll get another gig helping with the rebuild IMO.

Reply #16
Another triumph for the Carlton Football club development program. ::)

You mean our development coaches screwed up a perfectly good player, wasn't 1AW the next Kouta? ::)

My finest memory in the last 5 years is 1AW standing on Jake Carlisle's head, that event proved a few things for me;

- 1AW was a far better forward than defender.

- Carlisle is over-rated.

- Carlton will never be fairly judged while Ch.7 and certain broadcast personalities remain so heavily influential in AFL.

- Luke Darcy is an imbecile.

- Carlton doesn't complain strongly enough when it's disrespected.

- Our supporters in the media are a bunch of turtles!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #17
@ Thry

I'm not sure what your argument is.

He made a poor decision and a poor kick? What's not to get?

He kicks to this area very often coming out of the backline.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #18
@ Thry

I'm not sure what your argument is.

He made a poor decision and a poor kick? What's not to get?

He kicks to this area very often coming out of the backline.
I'll get to it.  Bear with me.  Sometimes, I need people to get to a certain spot, so that I can present an argument without it being dismissed as BS or some misguided belief in Malthouse.

The part in bold is the key to fixing our woes.

Get people making better decisions, and executing better under pressure.  Walker is a soft target.  Has probably had the worst last 2 years out of everyone on our list, bar Kreuzer and Giles.

Aside from that, this part in bold applies to almost every player on our list in varying capacities.  The modern game relies on the ability to maintain posession and moving the ball quickly.  If we are a team of poor kicks and decision making why are we wondering why we are sitting bottom of the ladder and unable to compete?

The answer to that question was apparently to do with Malthouse and his coaching, but last I checked a new coach and game plan wont rectify an inability to hit targets and improve the ability to make good decisions on the field.

We can take the degree of difficulty out of the equation by changing the game plan, or we can even make it easier by changing the position (which seems to be what you are advocating here and that will possibly work) but it will not take us to where we need to go.  I cannot think of a premiership team that made poor decisions and butchered the ball by foot and accomodated players in areas to lessen that impact. Something we have done for too long.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #19
I think you've over analysed the whole thing personally.

Personally i think Tuohy made the mistake by kicking it to Walker in the first place.
Looking at the above picture, Tuohy should've kicked it out to the flank. Can't quite pick out all the players there, but we have outnumbered them on that side...and even if we lose the ball, Walker can cover the only 'free' Sydney player.

Yarran gets front and square to get the crumbs, or a quick handball, and he's off to the races down the wing.

I understand why Tuohy went where he did, to create the overlap, but it is the safe option, and with the score the way it was, no point playing safe....especially when it doesn't work. Tuohy is one of the best kicks in the game, he should trust his judgement more often.

Reply #20
Krud's I analysed the play that was in front of me.

I agree, Touhy does kick safe and I won't mention why he "chose" the safe option. Once that was set in motion, bringing it back into the corridor Was a very poor decisions, regardless of Tuohys original decision and in a team lacking leader's better decisions need to be made. Two wrongs do not make a right.

I'm not a Zach Tuohy fan either and maybe have found my next subject!

#united #reset

Reply #21

I agree, Touhy does kick safe and I won't mention why he "chose" the safe option. Once that was set in motion, bringing it back into the corridor Was a very poor decisions, regardless of Tuohys original decision and in a team lacking leader's better decisions need to be made. Two wrongs do not make a right.

Personally i don't mind Tuohy. Everyone makes mistakes though.

What we are seeing from our team IMO is evident from the 'rebuild' comments that became public in R2.

Players are looking after themselves and not doing what's best for the team. Playing safe, rather than playing with dash and dare.

Reply #22

Is that Simpson 40m out standing on his own? Why not kick it to him? maybe put it out in front of him a  bit to keep it away from the Sydney guy guarding him and Walker. A 30m kick, down the middle (or pretty close), would open up a whole heap of space for the next kick.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #23
Good call Amers

I think once Walker went to the pocket, most teams hedge there bets and happy to give up that kick to the pocket.

You can see the Sydney player head back towards Simpson and let walker have the kick.

Smart play, would you rather Walker have the ball or Simpson?

#united #reset

Reply #24
Personally i don't mind Tuohy. Everyone makes mistakes though.

What we are seeing from our team IMO is evident from the 'rebuild' comments that became public in R2.

Players are looking after themselves and not doing what's best for the team. Playing safe, rather than playing with dash and dare.

They've been doing that for the last 2.5 years. At least they played for each other last week. That's a start.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #25
They've been doing that for the last 2.5 years. At least they played for each other last week. That's a start.

Mate, they didn't play for eachother last week. They just weren't as bad as they have been of late.

That kind of effort was similar to what we put in against the Lions. Hardly, get excited type of stuff.

Says a lot about how bad we've been if we are happy with a 10 goal thumping.

Reply #26
Good call Amers

I think once Walker went to the pocket, most teams hedge there bets and happy to give up that kick to the pocket.

You can see the Sydney player head back towards Simpson and let walker have the kick.

Smart play, would you rather Walker have the ball or Simpson?

I agree with both of you and Walker should have run past straight away get some run and carry happen. Swans couldn't guard all the space around Simpson. Walker running past could have dragged a swan, and left Simpson free to run and draw another swan.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #27

Touhy is another turn over merchant and one of the most careless defenders I have seen...

Reply #28
Tuohy is an awesome shot at goal outside of 50m on the run. Yet he gets too clever and falls in a trap of being stupid in our D50m. Its happening way too often this season. If it continues, he could become the victim of a trade. If he has value the way he is going about his footy. Don't get me wrong, I actually like him and see heaps of talent. Just needs to be footy smart.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #29
Tuohy is an awesome shot at goal outside of 50m on the run. Yet he gets too clever and falls in a trap of being stupid in our D50m. Its happening way too often this season. If it continues, he could become the victim of a trade. If he has value the way he is going about his footy. Don't get me wrong, I actually like him and see heaps of talent. Just needs to be footy smart.

Tuohy is often made to look bad because he has very little, if nothing, to kick too. Nobody runs into space for him. Same could be said for most players in our backline, and even our midfielders.

We have become a very self centered, lazy football team. If that is not apparent from the scoreboard, perhaps it will be clearer from the ground.