Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Possibilities: AFL Rd 7: Carlton vs North Melbourne (Read 21345 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre-Game Possibilities: AFL Rd 7: Carlton vs North Melbourne

Reply #45
Charlie would play wing like Nick Reiwoldt did and drift down for a few goals and have the play come through him on the wing as a marking target.
A fit Charlie could play most spots IMO,  think we just need to look after him and not turn him into the next Andrew Walker who didnt know where he was playing from week to week. I'm still unsure if three talls down forward works better than two talls....Harry and McGovern have worked ok in tandem IMO and maybe depending on the opposition we need to change things up and not be so rigid playing three talls forward all the time even though it looks more menacing on paper

Reply #46
Charlie would play wing like Nick Reiwoldt ddidand drift down for a few goals and have the play come through him on the wing as a marking target.
A fit Charlie could play most spots IMO,  think we just need to look after him and not turn him into the next Andrew Walker who didnt know where he was playing from week to week. I'm still unsure if three talls down forward works better than two talls....Harry and McGovern have worked ok in tandem IMO and maybe depending on the opposition we need to change things up and not be so rigid playing three talls forward all the time even though it looks more menacing on paper
I think the three of them have different strengths.
H marks strongly above his head when the ball is out in front or above his head. He has strong hangs and coupled with this height will be a defenders nightmare.
Gov seems to be more at home closer to goal. Whether it be sitting on their heads or out bodying one or two opponents. He then kicks straight from any angle. Can swing to defence and help there also.
Charlie's best position is around the 50m arc whether gathering the ball off the ground, on the lead or standing on their heads, then wielding around and having a ping.
If they play to those strengths and can keep out of each others way, they will trouble many defences.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #48
I think the three of them have different strengths.
H marks strongly above his head when the ball is out in front or above his head. He has strong hangs and coupled with this height will be a defenders nightmare.
Gov seems to be more at home closer to goal. Whether it be sitting on their heads or out bodying one or two opponents. He then kicks straight from any angle. Can swing to defence and help there also.
Charlie's best position is around the 50m arc whether gathering the ball off the ground, on the lead or standing on their heads, then wielding around and having a ping.
If they play to those strengths and can keep out of each others way, they will trouble many defences.

Keeping out of each others way is probably what I was alluding to, interesting this week that North have two good key defenders but lack that 3rd taller defender, would they be brave enough
to play brother Ben on Harry so they could have the right height matchup. Maybe the 3rd tall works this week for us...

Reply #49
Keeping out of each others way is probably what I was alluding to, interesting this week that North have two good key defenders but lack that 3rd taller defender, would they be brave enough
to play brother Ben on Harry so they could have the right height matchup. Maybe the 3rd tall works this week for us...

All three are bloody good marks really - in any situation.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #50
All three are bloody good marks really - in any situation.

Just read Harry's brother has had pneumonia so I dont see him playing this week..Harry should have a day out as Nth dont have anyone close to his height
unless they play a reserve ruckman down back...

Reply #51
Charlie would play wing like Nick Reiwoldt did and drift down for a few goals and have the play come through him on the wing as a marking target.

If we had quality small forwards, it would warrant going smaller, but when you look at the list of players and see names like polson, o brien, Gibbons, garlett (not jeff) you start wondering whether or not we are better off dropping another one and playing Kerr as well.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #52
The injuries are a bit of a concern.
Kreuzer's return probably coincided with some of our best 6 quarters for the year.

Our strength has been our backline and the injuries there on the weekend suddenly had it looking a bit shaky and unsure.
Some of the errors could possibly be attributed to the uncertainty and the lack of support that was created with Simpson and Newman missing.

How well we cover that will be a significant factor in the result.

Reply #53
If we had quality small forwards, it would warrant going smaller, but when you look at the list of players and see names like polson, o brien, Gibbons, garlett (not jeff) you start wondering whether or not we are better off dropping another one and playing Kerr as well.

Cuners looks like he could be one of the small forwards. Sure, he tired on Sunday but after a month out, fair enough.

Gibbons looks likely to improve too - once he has licence to roam further away from goal he looks far more comfortable.

Hopefully Pickett will be a player come 2020.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #54
Kreuzer's return probably coincided with some of our best 6 quarters for the year.

Our strength has been our backline and the injuries there on the weekend suddenly had it looking a bit shaky and unsure.
Some of the errors could possibly be attributed to the uncertainty and the lack of support that was created with Simpson and Newman missing.

Injuries are a concern, but with  Curnow, Cunningham and Williamson in the side we’re faster, more skilled  and have more X factor than two weeks ago.

Its probably time to give Stocker a run in the back pocket to see how he handles the step up to AFL - not much to lose at 1-5 in the 4th year of a 5 year rebuild

Reply #55

Even though I love him, Simpson has also had some critical turnovers and Newman is just a solid depth player. Kreuzer is a big loss but how many times can we say that.

Reply #56
Even though I love him, Simpson has also had some critical turnovers and Newman is just a solid depth player. Kreuzer is a big loss but how many times can we say that.

Simpson and Newman  are more about the structure of the defence and the roles they play.
Jones has been great this year.. but I wonder whether some of his uncertainty on the weekend stemmed from their missing as the game progressed
That's where it may be hard to cover

BTW I think Newman has been more than just a good depth player for us this year.

Reply #57
Simpson and Newman  are more about the structure of the defence and the roles they play.
Jones has been great this year.. but I wonder whether some of his uncertainty on the weekend stemmed from their missing as the game progressed
That's where it may be hard to cover

BTW I think Newman has been more than just a good depth player for us this year.

I have been critical, not of Simmo himself, but of his continued use in defence.  He is not a natural defender and his ability to lose his opponent has cost us dearly.  However, I agree that the loss of Simmo unsettled our defence.

Newman has been more than reliable and his accurate, generally long kicking out of defence has been a key factor in our competitiveness.  We'll miss both of them but they are relatively easily replaced, and you can't say that for Kreuzer. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #58
All three of them are senior players that form part of the framework upon which we are developing our young talent. That is the worst aspect imo and it remains to be seen whether others can fill the gap in terms of wise heads and maturity under pressure. We don't exactly have a lot of this to burn - 3 is a big number.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #59
This week is a good test for is.

This game is one we should win.  The media are pumping up our tires after losing narrowly.  We have lost some senior bodies for this weekend and the media are bagging north Melbourne quite hard.

It all adds up to a north win and more heart break for us.

If we manage to win I'll be pleased but I'd temper expectations.   Our side cant afford to lose cool experienced heads.  It's what is most lacking in our side at the moment.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson