Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Philosphical Discussion: AFL 2020 Rd 18: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 11028 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Philosphical Discussion: AFL 2020 Rd 18: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #105
Since this topic is still going, I said it in my original post, and I will say it again.

Without any doubt, one of the more selfish acts perpetrated on the Carlton Football Club in recent history, is Mark Murphy not offering to hang up the boots, but accepting another years contract.

He knows, just like I , and those on this site  who don't wear blindfolds know, that he's gone.

He can't tackle. Not because he wouldn't do it under normal circumstances, but because his shoulders are stuffed and he risks a dislocation if he tackles. That's why you didn't see him actually tackle once this year. He either lunged at a player after the player was out of range, or came in as the second or third player to "tackle" the opposition player.

He won't go in and  put his head over the ball. Mind you, he's not alone. Jack martin did it against the Lions, resulting in a goal to them. But at least Murphy's excuse is that he had his jaw broken a while ago, and  he's afraid to get it broken again.

Frankly,I don't blame him for not wanting to tackle or put his body on the line by going in and under packs. In fact I empathise with him.

But this is a team sport, and if you can't do your job for the team, then do the decent thing and retire so that a player who doesn't have your issues can take your place.

All I can hope for, is that the club understand that he's not up to it any more, and that he is no longer an automatic selection.

Reply #106
Some posters on here would lead one to think that Murphy either has incriminating evidence on an assortment of coaches, list managers and other club officials, or has been pulling the wool over their eyes all these years. I'm guessing the club knows exactly his positive and negative attributes, and makes list decisions accordingly.

Reply #107
Since this topic is still going, I said it in my original post, and I will say it again.

Without any doubt, one of the more selfish acts perpetrated on the Carlton Football Club in recent history, is Mark Murphy not offering to hang up the boots, but accepting another years contract.

He knows, just like I , and those on this site  who don't wear blindfolds know, that he's gone.

He can't tackle. Not because he wouldn't do it under normal circumstances, but because his shoulders are stuffed and he risks a dislocation if he tackles. That's why you didn't see him actually tackle once this year. He either lunged at a player after the player was out of range, or came in as the second or third player to "tackle" the opposition player.

He won't go in and  put his head over the ball. Mind you, he's not alone. Jack martin did it against the Lions, resulting in a goal to them. But at least Murphy's excuse is that he had his jaw broken a while ago, and  he's afraid to get it broken again.

Frankly,I don't blame him for not wanting to tackle or put his body on the line by going in and under packs. In fact I empathise with him.

But this is a team sport, and if you can't do your job for the team, then do the decent thing and retire so that a player who doesn't have your issues can take your place.

All I can hope for, is that the club understand that he's not up to it any more, and that he is no longer an automatic selection.

There is the view on this site that highly skilled players who are more elite with their ball use dont have to bother with meat and potatoes acts like chasing, tackling or putting the body on the line. Thats for meatheads like Robbo who were/are seen as handicapped skill wise and only fit for sacrificing their body parts for the good of these elite ball users.
I dont subscribe to that theory and clubs like Richmond and Hawthorn havent over the years either and thats why they are successful.

Reply #108
Murphy has survived 8000 list changes, 5 or 6 coaches, and a plethora of assistants, list managers etc. Completely different individuals who would not be swayed by each other's biases, likes, dislikes etc. He has survived public criticism from Matheison. His survival is cited by some as clear evidence that our club is professionally inept. Whilst I have shouted more than most about our club's problems, Murphy's continued presence on our list would be a mere trifle at best. He's had a million different eyes watching him, analysing him, assessing him, but none apparently can see through the charade.

Reply #109

That's a crap post. Sorry. This is just whipping boy stuff showing no respect to a bloke that has played 285 games for the club and given his all. If he think he can play he is entitled to ask for a contract. No for you, me or anyone else to tell him otherwise. It is up to the club to say no if they didn't think he had anymore to offer and give him the choice of retiring or trying to get to another club. As Daisy found, we are quick to do that if we think someone's time is up.

Reply #110
Murphy is a squib
We all know that we also he shouldn’t be on a list
Cripps never takes a backward step
Martin is severely overrated

See you talk as much crap on here as you do on the other site. Wouldn't matter if we won a flag you'd find something wrong.

Reply #111

It's the wrong question (and answer).

Is Murphy likely to be in our best 22 - 25 players in 2021.

If the answer's yes, you keep him.....

And I consider the answer is yes (even if that is an indictment, to some degree, on a few of our emerging players).
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #112
It's the wrong question (and answer).

Is Murphy likely to be in our best 22 - 25 players in 2021.

If the answer's yes, you keep him.....

And I consider the answer is yes (even if that is an indictment, to some degree, on a few of our emerging players).

Sorry, but with a fully fit list, Murphy aint anywhere near being in the best 22. Sensational bloke who's given his all, but time and injuries have caught up with him.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #113
Sorry, but with a fully fit list, Murphy aint anywhere near being in the best 22. Sensational bloke who's given his all, but time and injuries have caught up with him.

How many mids are ahead of him.
I'll give you Cripps and Walsh.
I'll even let you include Ed Curnow.
Will Setterfield is not there yet, but could be by the end of 2021.
Who else?

Reply #114
Does anyone really believe the final decision is Murphy's whether he goes around again.
If the club didn't want him for 2021 he would have been given the opportunity to retire.

Reply #115
I bet he will be. If he's not then we are in very good shape having got in a few recruits

Reply #116
Having read the replies of those who disagree with me, I will add this.

Unfortunately, sometimes the heart rules the head. It happens all the time with parents and their children. And to many in a football club, over time, if they are there long enough, the players become like children and the powers that be are their parents.

Someone in authority, preferably the coach, should have sat Murphy down, and shown him a montage of his season. When he should have tackled and didn't. When he should have gone in hard and didn't. And while he was at it, reminded him of the turnovers, stupid little kicks and the multitude of other errors that have permeated his game, in particular, over the previous 2-3 years. 

I agree that they must be aware of his shortcomings. However, as I stated above, it's heart ruling head stuff.

And that does Murphy, but more importantly, his team mates and the club, a huge disservice.

Add to that, the salary that Murphy is taking up, probably around $300-400,000, which would be freed up to give the club the best opportunity to draft a top line player, and Murphy and the club have, in my opinion, totally let down themselves, and more importantly, our supporters.

If there is at least one thing that my 70 plus years on this planet have taught me, it is that the hardest decisions that we have to make in life, are the ones where, as difficult as it always is, our head has to overrule our heart.
And from that life long experience, I can tell you, that the head is right 99.9% of the time.

The club and Murphy, have let us down. Murphy has been a great asset to the club over the course of his career. But the time had come for him to retire gracefully and with dignity, for the good of the club and its future.

That he hasn't done so of his own volition, is in my opinion, a selfish act.

That the club haven't told him that his time was up, is symptomatic of the way the place is run and why we languish in the bottom half of the ladder, and will continue to do so unless and until the powers that be at the club, are prepared to make the difficult decisions that are needed to take our club where we all want it to be.

Reply #117
Is the heart overruling the head a selective action ? It didn't seem to apply to Simpson.

He was offered a contract because they felt he still had something to contribute.

Reply #118
Is the heart overruling the head a selective action ? It didn't seem to apply to Simpson.
Did you ever see Simpson shirk the issue, not tackle hard,not put his head over the ball? Totally different player to Murphy.

He was offered a contract because they felt he still had something to contribute.

Reply #119
Did you ever see Simpson shirk the issue and not tackle? Did you ever see him not go in hard for the ball head down, putting his body on the line every time. And the bloke was one of the skinniest players to ever pull on a boot.

A totally different player to Murphy. Add to that, if in fact he WAS offered another year, a man who, as much as he probably would have loved to keep playing, knew that his time was up.

No selfishness where Simmo is concerned. He made the right decision, not only for himself, but for the good of the club.

If only Murphy would have done the same.