Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 15: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 38137 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 15: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #105
Was very happy with Kerridge's game.

Only one blunder the OOBF running out of the back pocket.

Super goal too.

Another mature body certainly adds to our midfield mix.... but with Ed Curnow to return, who get chopped out of Cuningham, Fisher or Kerridge?

Not sure he'll get dropped but Fisher would benefit greatly from some VFL time, he needs to get his body sorted and his confidence up. Dees are a hard at it physical team, I expect they'll try and beat up on the baby Blues.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #106
Not sure he'll get dropped but Fisher would benefit greatly from some VFL time, he needs to get his body sorted and his confidence up. Dees are a hard at it physical team, I expect they'll try and beat up on the baby Blues.

Fisher may lack some size and maturity, but i don't think he lacks heart.

He reminds me of a little Jack Russell. Little, energetic and will attack anything regardless of its size.

Reply #107
Interested to see the mainly positive replies in here. This game actually was the first time the gameplan frustrated me. We are slow slow slow to move it forward then cannot lock it in, so it goes down the other end for an easy score.

I know why we are doing it, and know (hope) it will change in the next year or so, but it would be nice to kick 6-7-8 goals in a quarter one day.

We lose control in last quarters as our midfield gets tired and drops off, but again we are competitive.

We make the easy look difficult moving the ball forward, with several times a kick on the bounce will bounce over a guys head, rather than hitting him in stride on the full.

Still we have a great crop of young guys and some really good senior players now, we are lacking reliable mid tier types to pick up the slack. I'm still positive.

"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #108
Interested to see the mainly positive replies in here. This game actually was the first time the gameplan frustrated me. We are slow slow slow to move it forward then cannot lock it in, so it goes down the other end for an easy score.

I know why we are doing it, and know (hope) it will change in the next year or so, but it would be nice to kick 6-7-8 goals in a quarter one day.

We lose control in last quarters as our midfield gets tired and drops off, but again we are competitive.

We make the easy look difficult moving the ball forward, with several times a kick on the bounce will bounce over a guys head, rather than hitting him in stride on the full.

Still we have a great crop of young guys and some really good senior players now, we are lacking reliable mid tier types to pick up the slack. I'm still positive.

Word for word, I pretty much agree, except that you must have the patience of a saint - I got frustrated with chip and kick by Round 3.

Reply #109
At Shades and Paul

My view is that Ill take a win no matter how ugly at this stage. We can pretty up the game style as the experience and skill set of the group grows/improves. We are showing that we can match it with most but consistency and sustained effort is the problem at present, that will get better. Having said that, I would like them to be a little bolder more often. The chip chip chip stuff is ok to slow down the tempo and get a hold of the game again but at some point, they have to have a crack at winning the game. Perhaps its a confidence thing. Its chipping it around vs run and gun is a balancing act I reckon.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #110
At Shades and Paul

My view is that Ill take a win no matter how ugly at this stage. We can pretty up the game style as the experience and skill set of the group grows/improves. We are showing that we can match it with most but consistency and sustained effort is the problem at present, that will get better. Having said that, I would like them to be a little bolder more often. The chip chip chip stuff is ok to slow down the tempo and get a hold of the game again but at some point, they have to have a crack at winning the game. Perhaps its a confidence thing. Its chipping it around vs run and gun is a balancing act I reckon.

Fair points Nando. I guess just like the Swans of a few seasons back, it is a type of achievement to be able to drag pacy, offensive teams like GWS and the Crows into the CFC quagmire.

Reply #111
Gee I hate losing, but anyway back to the review of the game.

Regarding Zac, I reckon keep playing him. I'm not over disappointed at all with him. I remember seeing him at training a few times and was astonished how diminutive he is compared to the rest of the list. The way he presents and has a red hot go gives me faith in the bloke. He'll get the confidence soon enough.

Absolutely loving seeing the growth and development of Charlie and Jack. These blokes give their utmost at every contest. A bit more bulk and strength and real soon it will be even more exciting to watch them. Charlies full stretch and marking are terrific, reads the ball in flight so well. Jack backs himself in, I love that, we need more blokes that want to take responsibility at important moments, the more the merrier!

M.
SOS - "I hated losing"

Reply #112
At Shades and Paul

Yep, I honestly have no problem with it, but we were going at like 49% in the first term, and they were 4 goals up. Guys like Harry and Jack will survive on faster ball movement.

Wins are important to this group and we are in every game, heck we could have won 4 of them.

Be nice to score 100 points this year, think that would show some good growth as much as the wins.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #113

Did you notice the bomb it long down the line tactic resulted in the ball flying through for a Crows goal on numerous occasions? Conceding possession in the wrong area of the ground is very problematic.

Crows had a rocket during the week from their poor performance last week. Came out and kicked 4 straight. That was the difference in the end I reckon.... that crappy start.

Reply #114
Yep, I honestly have no problem with it, but we were going at like 49% in the first term, and they were 4 goals up. Guys like Harry and Jack will survive on faster ball movement.

Wins are important to this group and we are in every game, heck we could have won 4 of them.

Be nice to score 100 points this year, think that would show some good growth as much as the wins.

Only 2 teams scored 100 points in the whole round (although North did score 99), so not that easy these days.
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #115
If we can get one more decent marking option in the forward 50, our ball movement may become a bit quicker.  As it is, we have to chip the ball around the 50m arc, like a group of schoolboys looking for a hole in a fence.  On the few times in the last quarter where we bombed it in, the Crows took a series of simple, almost uncontested marks.

While we are at it, give me a small forward who can crumb, kick straight, and tackle (oh hang on, he was playing for the Crows.....).
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #116
One of our problems that many have missed was the amount of ball Smith and Laird had down back, our small forwards provided no pressure at all..Smith was actually getting down forward given how poor our manning up was...he was AA and we put no work into him and Laird at all...whoever the forward coach is needs a rocket up his backside..

Reply #117
We haven't kicked 100 pts this year and are the only team who hasn't. Our scoring is exactly the same as it was this time last year, but we had won 1 more game [6] at this point.

Until we recruit some goal kickers i fear we are going to remain in the rut we have been in for coming on 3 years now - an inability to kick goals. Our lack of players forward of centre who can find the ball, create problems for opposition backmen, lay tackles and kick multiple goals per game is IMO our biggest structural problem. If you can only have 20 scoring shots per game and average 70 points you will be lucky to win 6-7 games, even with a good defence.

I understand the game plan given the players we have, but our personnel is a major issue and nothing we have tried this year has made any improvement when you look at the numbers. Maybe we keep playing Fisher [as an example] but he can't kick goals, doesn't win enough ball, and doesn't lay enough tackles. At this point he is a liability to the team and the game plan, mainly because other players can't cover his lack of output. Jack tries super hard [which i love], but his output as a forward is still pretty poor.

The idea that we will just 'naturally improve' our scoring has proven again this year to be a fallacy, as it has been for the 2 seasons prior. We are still rigidly stuck to the bottom of the scoring stats due to a long history of poor recruiting, list management and prioritising defence over the need to kick goals in order to win games.

We had the same number of i50's on the weekend as Adelaide, but they generated 7 more scoring shots and kept the ball i50 much better than us. Our repeat entries and retention i50 was poor, the ball bounced back out easily too many times, which ultimately cost us at the other end of the ground. I see more of the same on the horizon over the coming 8 weeks unless we try something different up forward - close games but a majority of losses due to our inability to generate bigger enough scores.  

Reply #118
At Shades and Paul

I reckon its tied to fitness too.

The teams that run and gun are the ones that run out four quarters better.

Given the change in the interchange, it might simply be a matter of thats not our go, so we will do something else until there are no other options.

Going back to the Pies premiership year, I seem to remember them playing keepings off a lot back then, chipping it around and then changing it up as the game wore on.

The thing is, the whole retention of posession is a double whammy way to knock your opposition around.

1.  They spend so long chasing tail and not having the ball that they feel "uncomfortable" and out of the game a bit.

2.  Its easier to beat an opponent who feels as though the game is a bit of a grind.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #119
I wouldn't be too down on the game plan... yes, we can move it quicker, and we would all like to score easier... but there wasn't a lot in that game on Saturday.

Fundamentals are pretty solid.