Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs. Hawthorn (Read 46818 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs. Hawthorn

Reply #90
We have more, young developing talent who pooped their pants (understandably) when the Hawks battle hardened, more experienced talent turned up the heat. Also, look at the Hawks elder statesmen and compare them to ours. But by all means, sack Bolton.

They're a bunch of has -beens.

The battle hardened types were the fringe players in their golden years....

We f..ed it up, again. And BB is at the centre of that.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #91

I don't agree. They are not what they were, but has beens is incorrect and completely insulting.

Reply #92
Gutted.   If we were ever to beat this mob it was today,  but no,  we're they're bitch.....again.

Both the coach and a swag of players had awful second halves and both should be held accountable.

It's unfair to single out a solitary player,  but today was custom made for some on field leadership,  and Marc Murphy, you went MIA today.  And it isn't the first time.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #93
@ Shawny
Clarkson said afterwards he didn't really have to question his players, they questioned themselves and responded. Thats experienced, mature heads coming to the fore in the second half. I dont think he made many moves per se`, half a dozen senior players who were in the dressing rooms in the first half, ran out in the second and lifted to levels we all know Hawthorn normally play at. Yes we made them look second rate in the first half, but we were irresistible for the first 60mins. That was a glimpse into the future. When we do that for 4 qtrs, we will take some beating by anyone.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #94
We have more, young developing talent who pooped their pants (understandably) when the Hawks battle hardened, more experienced talent turned up the heat. Also, look at the Hawks elder statesmen and compare them to ours. But by all means, sack Bolton.

At 4 from 38, 1-5, any coach would deserve the sack. You know that too.

Reply #95
@ Shawny
Clarkson said afterwards he didn't really have to question his players, they questioned themselves and responded. Thats experienced, mature heads coming to the fore in the second half. I dont think he made many moves per se`, half a dozen senior players who were in the dressing rooms in the first half, ran out in the second and lifted to levels we all know Hawthorn normally play at. Yes we made them look second rate in the first half, but we were irresistible for the first 60mins. That was a glimpse into the future. When we do that for 4 qtrs, we will take some beating by anyone.

Yep, player driven turnaround by their premiership senior players. And our senior players are...........

https://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2019/6/haw-v-carl

Reply #96
At 4 from 38, 1-5, any coach would deserve the sack. You know that too.

Nonsense. Check the context.

Reply #97

They played in a preliminary final last year.

They are waning but chock full of game winning ability but wont do it for 4 quarters anymore.

Hence why we got an early run on.

Conspiracy theory, kreuzer broke down in the second quarter.  Battled on for a quarter and then went off at the start of the 4th.

It explains everything.

For everyone saying Simpson is shot have a look at the sheer panic in our defense after he went off.  You cannot bottle leadership and you cannot replace it easily.  Sometimes player provide intangible benefits.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #98
Gutted.   If we were ever to beat this mob it was today,  but no,  we're they're bitch.....again.

Both the coach and a swag of players had awful second halves and both should be held accountable.

It's unfair to single out a solitary player,  but today was custom made for some on field leadership,  and Marc Murphy, you went MIA today.  And it isn't the first time.
I thought Murph, along with his team mates was very good in the first half. Ran, carried and delivered nicely into the forward line. Hell I also saw him niggle Crippas man to try and unsettle him. But like many of his team mates in the second half, fell away dreadfully and made terrible decisions and disposal was way below the required standard.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #100
Baggers, Dont think we need to change the coach as he is doing a lot right and has the players on his side but he needs help on tactics and match day coaching,
you have to ask what Walls role is ?
There are no standout alternative coaches either and I think the club have to go with Bolton in 2020 but put someone else in the box to help him with tactics.

I agree but fear BB may not listen. He looks to have changed his approach this year, perhaps a little less 'hands on', a la Buckley, Dimma etc. But when push comes to shove does he resort to type... complex instructions/controlling/taking over from his assistants/not trusting assistant? He certainly says all the right things at this year's media conferences.

The side looked decidedly less confident in the 2nd half... was that too much instruction at half time (confusing the players) or was it the Dawks pressure? I don't know. Might have been both. Though the fight back in the last 5 or so minutes was a very good indicator of fiber within the group... just too little, too late. This group does not surrender and that is a strong positive.

I don't agree that BB's tenure should be a fait accompli for 2020. Could be he was the perfect choice to get the club to this level but the next step is beyond him. Could be. He might also deliver many wins from next Sunday onward making the 2020 decision academic.

I'm pretty sure the club won't be happy with 18 honourable losses and 4 wins (or so) for season 2019.

Then there is the playing personnel... did some fade badly in the third qtr because they got ahead of themselves? Were confused by half time messages? Didn't know how to respond to the Dawks increased pressure and altered style? Poor / slow to react on-field leadership?

Whoever BB's immediate boss is, should be demanding from BB smarter (and when needed, more creative) game day coaching and to simplify his message and that honourable losses not longer cut the mustard and his coaching tenure into 2020 is not a foregone conclusion.

Although it is hard to swallow such a terrible capitulation/surrender (which carries the potential for we humble supporters to overreact), I don't think today's lost opportunity was the end of the world, nuh, provided we learn from it/make meaningful change, inside the coaching box and on the field.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #101
FMD - 4 from 38 - who knew? Not as if we never get reminded every 5 minutes.

Reply #102
FMD - 4 from 38 - who knew? Not as if we never get reminded every 5 minutes.

Truth hurt?

It's 4 from 38. Doesn't matter what way you say it, that's what it is. Like me to make something up instead to make you feel better?

Reply #103
Another game of 2 halves. A second longer, a rouge umpiring decision less (just 1 or 2 of the arm chops against H for example), a Chad cheating moment disallowed, a putrid disposal less, and.... well. We'd all be singing the club's praises.

I can't work out what happened q3, and feel gutted too. Certainly lots to understand and address. Love that we came back in q4. Very encouraging for a young group.

In all, lots to like, but lots to improve too. Need to be able to keep doing what's working for longer.

PS.
2018 Blues 52 v Hawks 124
The improvement is in the numbers, and the wins will come providing we don't succumb to injuries.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #104
Is coaching rocket science or something?   Opposition player is cutting you up:

1.  Do something about it.

2.  Ignore it and let player get mountain of possessions.

I don't see how (2), which seems to be Bolton's default position,  contributes to us winning games.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?