Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs. Hawthorn (Read 46815 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs. Hawthorn

Reply #105
I agree but fear BB may not listen. He looks to have changed his approach this year, perhaps a little less 'hands on', a la Buckley, Dimma etc. But when push comes to shove does he resort to type... complex instructions/controlling/taking over from his assistants/not trusting assistant? He certainly says all the right things at this year's media conferences.

The side looked decidedly less confident in the 2nd half... was that too much instruction at half time (confusing the players) or was it the Dawks pressure? I don't know. Might have been both. Though the fight back in the last 5 or so minutes was a very good indicator of fiber within the group... just too little, too late. This group does not surrender and that is a strong positive.

I don't agree that BB's tenure should be a fait accompli for 2020. Could be he was the perfect choice to get the club to this level but the next step is beyond him. Could be. He might also deliver many wins from next Sunday onward making the 2020 decision academic.

I'm pretty sure the club won't be happy with 18 honourable losses and 4 wins (or so) for season 2019.

Then there is the playing personnel... did some fade badly in the third qtr because they got ahead of themselves? Were confused by half time messages? Didn't know how to respond to the Dawks increased pressure and altered style? Poor / slow to react on-field leadership?

Whoever BB's immediate boss is, should be demanding from BB smarter (and when needed, more creative) game day coaching and to simplify his message and that honourable losses not longer cut the mustard and his coaching tenure into 2020 is not a foregone conclusion.

Although it is hard to swallow such a terrible capitulation/surrender (which carries the potential for we humble supporters to overreact), I don't think today's lost opportunity was the end of the world, nuh, provided we learn from it/make meaningful change, inside the coaching box and on the field.

We're young blah bah....

This is Bolton's 4th season ffs - and they're still f...ing up stuff you'd get dropped from an u/12 team for doing....

Who's going to take responsibility.

Personally, after 5 terrible matches this year (for full time pro sportsmen who do nothing but practise this game) - we won't progress till Bolts and Murphy are moved on....

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #106
This one hurts. I’m still shaking my head - did we score an old fashioned traditional “kick to the goal square and let our big man out-mark their big man in the goal square” goal in the first half?

I’d have to watch the replay but I can’t recall even one. Why oh why then, did we think it was going to work in the last quarter?

This is where Clarkson gets the chocolates - 3 times in the last q their big men (well, Impy “plays” big) took strong uncontested marks in or near the goalsquare whilst their teammates played a sacrificial blocking role ensuring Casboult, McKay, et al didn’t get a proper run at the ball.

It was clearly rehearsed and practised.

On the other hand, the free flowing and more chaotic methods we employed in the first half are so much harder to negate.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #107
Another game of 2 halves. A second longer, a rouge umpiring decision less (just 1 or 2 of the arm chops against H for example), a Chad cheating moment disallowed, a putrid disposal less, and.... well. We'd all be singing the club's praises.

I can't work out what happened q3, and feel gutted too. Certainly lots to understand and address. Love that we came back in q4. Very encouraging for a young group.

In all, lots to like, but lots to improve too. Need to be able to keep doing what's working for longer.

PS.
2018 Blues 52 v Hawks 124
The improvement is in the numbers, and the wins will come providing we don't succumb to injuries.
It was telling when Simmo didnt reappear. When we lost Newmy the nail was hammered in half way. Kruze, who was our most influential player in the first half, going off drove the nail into the coffin. We were like a fighter who had been knocked down several times, at that point, we could have pinched it with a lucky punch but didn't. Not making excuses with the injuries but it was pretty obvious that we cant afford 500 games of experience sitting on the bench for a qtr (almost)
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #108
Another game of 2 halves. A second longer, a rouge umpiring decision less (just 1 or 2 of the arm chops against H for example), a Chad cheating moment disallowed, a putrid disposal less, and.... well. We'd all be singing the club's praises.

I can't work out what happened q3, and feel gutted too. Certainly lots to understand and address. Love that we came back in q4. Very encouraging for a young group.

In all, lots to like, but lots to improve too. Need to be able to keep doing what's working for longer.

PS.
2018 Blues 52 v Hawks 124
The improvement is in the numbers, and the wins will come providing we don't succumb to injuries.

blah blah, the simple fact is we were playing the dregs last year. This year we weren't and still screwed it up magnificently.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #109
It was telling when Simmo didnt reappear. When we lost Newmy the nail was hammered in half way. Kruze, who was our most influential player in the first half, going off drove the nail into the coffin. We were like a fighter who had been knocked down several times, at that point, we could have pinched it with a lucky punch but didn't. Not making excuses with the injuries but it was pretty obvious that we cant afford 500 games of experience sitting on the bench for a qtr (almost)

nothing to do with it. We had capitulated....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #110
nothing to do with it. We had capitulated....
in the second half which Simmo played none of.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #111
Truth hurt?

It's 4 from 38. Doesn't matter what way you say it, that's what it is. Like me to make something up instead to make you feel better?
The point being, if people were clinically blind, they wouldn't be on here getting the constant reminder in the first place. You've just assumed that I'm happy with the current situation - far from it in actual fact.

And by the way, I don't recall directly quoting you to begin with, but nice to see you got triggered pretty damn quickly. Just saying  ;D

Reply #112
, a rouge umpiring decision less (just 1 or 2 of the arm chops against H for example),

This craps me to tears - swans did it too, as well as tunnelling him under the ball and blocking him off the ball

The real chocolates were when we got a chopping the arms (maybe cas?) paid against us... just rediculous, given how many times they do it

Reply #113
Grrr, such a close one and real nailbiting in the last.  I hoped the umpires would make another mistake and let McKay's mark in the last second (after the siren) stand.

We lost alot of drive with Simpson ging down, and a few errors really killed us late.  Plowman's kick out of bounds and Jones' fumble and missed kick the two low lights. 

Still alot to like with some very inexperienced players.  Dow's burst and goal was great and the ball movement in the first half was excellent.  Hawthorn are a fine side, and while they are down a bit they have some outstanding leadership in Roughhead, Stratton, Bruest, Smith etc.  There is a reason why Roughhead went into the middle in the last minutes.  The loss of our small defenders allowed their small forwards back into the game.

Omera not being tagged seemed a problem, but any tag is robbing peter to pay paul.  Ed Curnow does give us a half forward option, albeit poor disposal, but its often a 50/50 proposition which is why tagging is not always done.  Thought Shiels was more damaging, along with Scully at big moments.   

Close but not quite.  Big improvements on last year and the wins will start to come.  We are a work in progress and lost by a kick to a prelim finalist from last year when we won 2 games.  Some of the hysteria on this board is a little unhinged.

Reply #114
in the second half which Simmo played none of.

GTC, did we - or didn't we - 'switch' to a zone defence from man on man at the start of Q3, irrespective of Simmo?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #115
Grrr, such a close one and real nailbiting in the last.  I hoped the umpires would make another mistake and let McKay's mark in the last second (after the siren) stand.

We lost alot of drive with Simpson ging down, and a few errors really killed us late.  Plowman's kick out of bounds and Jones' fumble and missed kick the two low lights. 

Still alot to like with some very inexperienced players.  Dow's burst and goal was great and the ball movement in the first half was excellent.  Hawthorn are a fine side, and while they are down a bit they have some outstanding leadership in Roughhead, Stratton, Bruest, Smith etc.  There is a reason why Roughhead went into the middle in the last minutes.  The loss of our small defenders allowed their small forwards back into the game.

Omera not being tagged seemed a problem, but any tag is robbing peter to pay paul.  Ed Curnow does give us a half forward option, albeit poor disposal, but its often a 50/50 proposition which is why tagging is not always done.  Thought Shiels was more damaging, along with Scully at big moments.   

Close but not quite.  Big improvements on last year and the wins will start to come.  We are a work in progress and lost by a kick to a prelim finalist from last year when we won 2 games.  Some of the hysteria on this board is a little unhinged.

Hysteria ? Not here mate. Clear thinking as far as the eye can see.

Good post as always Viv.

Reply #116
FMD - 4 from 38 - who knew? Not as if we never get reminded every 5 minutes.

Agreed

I can’t believe actual CFC fans on here, who should know better, fall for the media pushing this crap.  Of course he is a bad record - they gutted the side 3 years ago and played a team that wasn’t supposed to win.  That was the plan... I guarantee the board doesn’t hold the first 2 years against him.

This years record is a concern, as I’m sure that better was expected by now

But stop sounding like Matthew fckn Lloyd and quoting the easy stat that is actually pretty meaningless

Reply #117
Hysteria ? Not here mate. Clear thinking as far as the eye can see.

Good post as always Viv.

Bolton is wasting our time playing Ed as a small forward....talking about robbing Peter..... ::) ::) :-[ :-[
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #118
Bolton is wasting our time playing Ed as a small forward....talking about robbing Peter..... ::) ::) :-[ :-[

If you've got other suggestions, drop him a line. If only he'd consult CSC, he'd actually learn how to coach.

Reply #119
Agreed

I can’t believe actual CFC fans on here, who should know better, fall for the media pushing this crap.  Of course he is a bad record - they gutted the side 3 years ago and played a team that wasn’t supposed to win.  That was the plan... I guarantee the board doesn’t hold the first 2 years against him.

why not the first 3 ?