Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Pandemonium!: AFL 2020 Rd 17: Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 10762 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Pandemonium!: AFL 2020 Rd 17: Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #90
Agreed Micky0....that would've been pretty deflating for Cottrell to miss out on selection. He might not have dominated the game against Sydney but he's one bloke I'd back to be giving it 100% when he runs out on the ground....he's worked hard to get to where he is, unlike a few others....he's not gonna be taking it for granted.

Will be some interesting selection decisions this week for a dead rubber game against Brisbane. Maybe a swan song for Eddie and Simmo...

Reply #91
We seemed to have far too many players in loose ball situations or when the oppo had possession just standing around frozen and wondering what to do, leaving it to "others" to do something. Time and again players would zone off rather than attacking the ball or the opposition ball carrier only to see our defensive zone opened right up. Seems to be a LOT of confusion! By contrast, when one of our guys contested for the ball or picked it up he would be swarmed by the opposition -  a stark contrast.  Our "game plan" or "team orders" or whatever would seem to have some major holes and the individual players are unclear as to what they should do. This is of course complemented by the usual skill errors.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #92
Agreed Micky0....that would've been pretty deflating for Cottrell to miss out on selection. He might not have dominated the game against Sydney but he's one bloke I'd back to be giving it 100% when he runs out on the ground....he's worked hard to get to where he is, unlike a few others....he's not gonna be taking it for granted.

Will be some interesting selection decisions this week for a dead rubber game against Brisbane. Maybe a swan song for Eddie and Simmo...

Looks like a farewell for Simmo.

Reply #96
I can't really understand why folks have issues with Cripps' goal and the aftermath. He was involved in several possessions, followed the ball from the wing to the F50 arc, weaved and swerved, turned Adelaide blokes inside out, and slotted it on the run. It was a super effort, his showboating lasted only a couple of seconds and was in my view, a fairly understated and mild example of that type of behavior. I have no issue with any of it.

Reply #97
Our percentage is miles behind the other teams on the quarters won ladder.
We won 2 quarters on Sunday but the game was far from even.
Yes, they $hit on us in the first half and we $hit on them in the 2nd half. They $hit on us more in that first half.

Still winning them. Winning as many as the gun sides or close to, meaning you're beating, matching good sides for much of the game. Also, when you're equal 4th on qtrs won but 12th on thee ladder it shows what bad qtrs/slow starts are doing to us as there should be a close relationship between the 2.

Reply #98
Does that mean we've won 36/64 quarters this year?

Yes.

Individually. we were

9th 8-8 1st qtr 87%
10th 8-8 2nd qtr 87%
6th 9-6-1 3rd qtr 107%
3rd 11-5 last qtrs 104%

Greater 2nd half team, specially last qtrs, except when we choked.

Reply #99
I can't really understand why folks have issues with Cripps' goal and the aftermath. He was involved in several possessions, followed the ball from the wing to the F50 arc, weaved and swerved, turned Adelaide blokes inside out, and slotted it on the run. It was a super effort, his showboating lasted only a couple of seconds and was in my view, a fairly understated and mild example of that type of behavior. I have no issue with any of it.

And got the next centre clearance.

Reply #100
And got the next centre clearance.

I wasn't aware of that. Good to know. Thanks.

Enzo, you've been very quiet lately. Tutto bene ?

Reply #101
I'm sure I'll get over it in a day or two but the disappointment from Sunday's result is hanging on a bit more than a loss normally does for me.

There's probably a few contributing reasons for that....

End of the season coming up.
The retirement of Kreuzer and now Simpson
The poor start in our last two games
What appeared to be a lack of disappointment amongst the players after the game.
The end of any finals chances (although they were a longshot anyway)

It probably just needs a good performance on the weekend to ease the 'unease'.

Reply #102
I'm sure I'll get over it in a day or two but the disappointment from Sunday's result is hanging on a bit more than a loss normally does for me.

What appeared to be a lack of disappointment amongst the players after the game.

I feel the same. Felt like we were stepping up this season but that game was putrid and shook all the good memories of a strange season, right out of me.

Reply #103

The poor start is something we've had numerous times throughout the year. In every instance, we've managed to fight back at the end.
IMO the worst games are where we start well, lead and give up in the 2nd half. Ala Pies and GWS' 'must win games'.

With it all on the line, with the upper hand, we gave it away with barely a whimper. That was demoralising.

Reply #104
This game is in danger of defining our season psychologically. We just have to put in a good one this week.
Reality always wins in the end.