Skip to main content
Topic: 2015 Asia Cup (Read 21074 times) previous topic - next topic

2015 Asia Cup

Any interest in the Asia cup?

Australia are currently playing Kuwait in the opening game.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Re: 2015 Asia Cup

Reply #1
Aus 4-1 easily account for Kuwait.....Aussies too big and physical for the Kuwaities who are very  small and rely on speedy counter attacks with defense being their main attribute. Aussies just pumped the ball into the box and were superior in the air...Kuwait did score the first goal and Australia can look awkward defending but in the end we were too strong and I reckon the coach would be very happy with our first outing of the Asian Cup...

Reply #2
We were 2-1 up at the half and our 2nd goal was a great header, but I thought overall the Aussies 1st half was still pretty poor overall.

I missed most of the 2nd half, but did see the last goal.

IMO Australia really need a quality out and out striker.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #3
We were 2-1 up at the half and our 2nd goal was a great header, but I thought overall the Aussies 1st half was still pretty poor overall.

Agree regarding our first half, in particular the firts 25 minutes or so, as we were slow to start and conceded a sloppy goal due to a lack of cohesion, probably due to a lack of match practice. Kuwait were happy to sit back and defend in their back third once they scored making it harder tp get going. Once we scored our first goal we clicked into gear and of course Kuwait then were drawn out of their purely defensive focus. We could have easily had 1 or 2 more goals in the second half as Nathan Burns was denied by a freakish save and the woodwork as was Troisi. Burns made an immediate impact when he replaced Cahill and will bo one to watch this tournament as he looked right at home at this level.

Troisi's late goal will also give him a lot of confidence and was reward for great effort. We had far more goal scoring options tonight than at any time during our lead up matches and were threatening even when Cahill was subbed off, if you get the chance to see the second half you'll see we had many options up forawrd, including Robby Kruse who created havoc as well.
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #4
Two highlights:

Luongo's first half, just looked like he was going to tear the game apart.
Kuwaiti goalkeepers last 15 minutes.  He conceded 4, but it could have been 7!

Reply #5

Need a quality mid who can create opportunities as well......we turn the ball over too much and were lucky Kuwait didnt have the tools to hurt us

Reply #6

Need a quality mid who can create opportunities as well......we turn the ball over too much and were lucky Kuwait didnt have the tools to hurt us

Agreed. Kruse showed glimpses of being back to his best form but we desperately need that speedy, attacking centre midfielder that can score as well. Danny De Silva will be our guy but he's only 17. The kid is gonna be a star.

Reply #7
So our games are shown on delay on FTA by two hours. What a joke.

Reply #8
I know. I was in Daylesford for the weekend and couldn't believe there was no FTA coverage. And the FFA are trying to promote the game in Aus??
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #9
Re the tournament this is a must win for Australia. Would be huge for soccer in this country. ATM though Japan look the strongest and Iran will be hard to beat in the semis should we make it, Iran were very impressive in the World Cup last year.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #10
I know. I was in Daylesford for the weekend and couldn't believe there was no FTA coverage. And the FFA are trying to promote the game in Aus??

It's quite unbelievable. I'm only a casual football fan, as a result of the delayed telecast I don't care about the tournament now. I would have thought they'd be trying to capture 'fans' like me, especially given it's the off-season for the AFL, NRL etc. Mindboggling to say the least.

Reply #11

It's quite unbelievable. I'm only a casual football fan, as a result of the delayed telecast I don't care about the tournament now. I would have thought they'd be trying to capture 'fans' like me, especially given it's the off-season for the AFL, NRL etc. Mindboggling to say the least.

Pay TV has been working to kill soccer in this country for 20 years.

Not hugely surprising if you recall what C7 sports did to the NSL.

In any case, I watched a bit last night.  I cant believe just how bad the standard is.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #12
Brilliant performance by the Aussies, that was the performance of a side that knows it can win.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #13
It will be Japan vs Aus for the cup....Oman were very ordinary and their defense looked like my neighbors back fence...it had plenty of holes.
Good to see Robbie Kruse deliver a good game and take some heat of Tim Cahill...

Reply #14
It will be Japan vs Aus for the cup....Oman were very ordinary and their defense looked like my neighbors back fence...it had plenty of holes.
Good to see Robbie Kruse deliver a good game and take some heat of Tim Cahill...

It's funny because he made a few errors early and I was just about to jump on and label him as overrated. Lucky the computer was more than arms length away. :))
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!