Skip to main content
Topic: World Cup 2015 (Read 20522 times) previous topic - next topic

World Cup 2015

Nice start from Aus with a demolition of regular easybeats England.......great start from Mitch Marsh with 5 wickets and Aaron Finch flayed the English attack with
a great 130 odd, he had support from the under pressure Bailey and the very inventive Glen Maxwell.
Steve Finn took a Claytons hat trick from the last three balls of the Aus innings and the jockey size James Taylor made 98 not out before the umpires robbed him off the opportunity to make a century by incorrectly giving Anderson out off a dead ball which they said was live...most junior cricketers would know that rule...

New Zealand flogged Sri Lanka and appear with us as the team to beat...their swing bowling attack is very suited to their home conditions and they have some real
heavy hitters ...Corey Anderson plays like David Warner and probably hits the ball harder, the wily old Dan Vettori keeps on keeping on and is still a fine bowler.
Brendan McCullum has taken his game to a different level over the last few seasons and is probably on a par with Adam Gilchrist  in terms of output.....
Cant wait for the Aus vs NZ game..

South Africa beat the Zimbabs.....easy in the end but they dont give me the impression they are the real deal...were 4 for 80 and were saved by the impressive David Miller and JP Duminy who both score tons and 340  was always going to be too many to chase.

India are currently flogging Pakistan much to the delight of their supporters who have turned out on mass in Adelaide and are making as much noise as I have heard at
a cricket game.....Kholi another hundred and is a gun player who thrives in the big games but will need support to get India over the line come finals time IMO...

Cant believe I am reading that Mitch Marsh might be the man to have to make way for Michael Clarke to return to the team....Bailey would be my choice to leave out....
Watto made another duck and his bowling was only average...think he has three zero scores from his last five one dayers vs England....but if Marsh goes out we need his bowling. The Bangers are next up I think and you would expect Watson to make runs...

Re: World Cup 2015

Reply #1
Some big scores in those games you mentioned. One day cricket has moved along so far from the early days when Viv Richards played. In fact his side would get flogged by these modern sides and probably struggle to win 40% of their games. When has a side back then had to chase down scores well over 300 runs. 340, 342 etc. Then again I shouldn't say too much, as their bowling attack wouldn't allow these scores to start with. Some very ordinary bowling in this world cup series so far.

I myself like Marsh as a bowler and think he should definitely have a place in the side. Drop Watson. He isn't the player he was in the past. Pakistan is a classic case of a side that doesn't know how to bowl to their field placings. No wonder India gave them trouble. Kholi in my opinion is one of the best 10 batsmen in the world currently playing. Had a great test series here recently and shows real playing ability. Knows when to be patient, and when to play his strokes.

South Africa and Australia are by far the best 2 one day sides, by a country mile on current form. I just can't see a side that will trouble them. Is this the right time to take my foot out of my mouth.  :o ;D ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #2
The Pom's have a real problem with Eoin Morgan's form or, more correctly, lack of form.  No team can afford carry a batsman who can't make runs consistently, let alone not at all.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #3
The Pom's have a real problem with Eoin Morgan's form or, more correctly, lack of form.  No team can afford carry a batsman who can't make runs consistently, let alone not at all.

Yep....the transition from Cook to Morgan has run out of gas as the captain cant make a run to save himself....I think he needs to bat higher up the order at No 3 where they have
mucked around with Ballance who isnt up to it and Taylor who looks better at NO 6.
How Ben Stokes cant get into that squad is beyond me....hits the ball hard, is aggressive and is more than handy with the ball......allrounders are like gold and you have to keep
sticking fat with them IMO until they mature at both skillsets...

The only team that lose more games than England due to off field politics and poor selections etc is the West Indies.....

Reply #4
Watson fields like an old man... given the up and coming all rounders he needs runs to justify his selection going forwards.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #5
Pardon my ignorance.....why are the scores so high these days? How does Ireland chase down 300 so comfortably?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #6
Pardon my ignorance.....why are the scores so high these days? How does Ireland chase down 300 so comfortably?

Bigger bats = easier to hit 4 and 6's
T20 would have had an influence on the way the 50 over game is played too.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #7

Fielding restrictions have also changed - only 4 outside the circle. Oval boundaries much shorter, even at MCG. Any team that doesn't get 300 on a decent pitch will get beat in the quarters and semis.

Reply #8
Watson fields like an old man... given the up and coming all rounders he needs runs to justify his selection going forwards.

Yes, we have class allrounders coming out of our backside so he can't rely on the fact he bowls now to maintain his spot.

Reply #9

Agree on the bats...Alan Border was asked the same question and said the players are much fitter and stronger. today,here were no weights sessions in the old days.
You also have the bigger grounds roped off which makes hitting sixes easier...

David Miller from South Africa vs Zimbabwe hit one ball out of the ground, cleared the stands etc.......

re: Ireland vs Windies.....the latter are a rabble who play with no heart or pride and should have won that game easily...their fielding was carefree and careless like their bowling.
I'd be interested to know how much money was wagered on that game....bet some Indians made a few rupee's on that result...

Reply #10
New Zealand have just destroyed England in their WC game...Southee had it going like a banana with late swing and took 7 for 30 something then McCullum hit  a quickfire 70 odd from 24 balls......the scorecard says NZ are great but I'm inclined to think England are just woeful......not sure where the WC final is being played but anyone playing NZ at home wont be starting favorites given the conditions are just so much in their favour.

Reply #11
New Zealand have just destroyed England in their WC game...Southee had it going like a banana with late swing and took 7 for 30 something then McCullum hit  a quickfire 70 odd from 24 balls......the scorecard says NZ are great but I'm inclined to think England are just woeful......not sure where the WC final is being played but anyone playing NZ at home wont be starting favorites given the conditions are just so much in their favour.

Final is at the MCG.

Reply #12
Pakistan losing to the Windies...were 4 for 1 at one stage and dropped 5 catches.....now a cynical person might think that the Paki's threw this game and were back to their old  ways... :-X :-\

Reply #13

Final is at the MCG.

Thanks for that info Jim..good news its at the "G"...

Reply #14
Apparently the atmosphere at the G today was amazing.