Skip to main content
Topic: One day squad..No Maxwell???? (Read 21046 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: One day squad..No Maxwell????

Reply #60
Maxwell’s response to his non-selection and apparent mis-management over the off season was pure class.

I hope he smashes the runs out and finally cements a place - he deserves it for his attitude alone.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #62
Ponting certainly not pandering to the old boys club, saying  it as he sees it...

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/ricky-ponting-glenn-maxwell-omission-australia-test-squad-pakistan-tour-uae-ropeable/2018-09-11

The people laughing and smiling the most strongly about this are the opposition!

The same people who were laughing and smiling about Smith's ban!

Australian Cricket is mired in politics, it makes the Federal Coalition look relatively stable!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #63
Maxwell isnt popular in some sections of the Aus cricket community and I did hear a rumour that he said he wouldnt be into sledging Virat Kholi and it didnt go down well
with his Aus teammates who see Maxwell as selfish and putting his personal career ahead of the team. Maxwell is mates with Kholi off the field.....
I like Peter Siddle and he is a honest trier but this isnt good for Aus cricket recalling him at his age, this is what England used to do and we are better than that....

Reply #64
Maxwell isnt popular in some sections of the Aus cricket community and I did hear a rumour that he said he wouldnt be into sledging Virat Kholi and it didnt go down well
with his Aus teammates who see Maxwell as selfish and putting his personal career ahead of the team. Maxwell is mates with Kholi off the field.....
I like Peter Siddle and he is a honest trier but this isnt good for Aus cricket recalling him at his age, this is what England used to do and we are better than that....

We should be better than this but it seems that the same old political biases are in play here. Maxwell clearly deserves his chance on this tour but is clearly out of favour, can't see the squad we are sending coming back with anything other than resounding losses.
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #65
I can live with Maxwell's exclusion,  but I can't abide the bull crap explanations.

And I don't understand why the Marsh brothers are retained for the exact same reasons Maxwell is excluded.

I'd love to see the photos Shaun has,  they must be damning. 
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #66

I'd be very surprised if the current team went down the path of sledging Kohli.  Not only would that undermine the supposed new sportsmanship mantra lead by Paine, but it would actually help Kohli's performances.  He thrives on verbal combat to get himself up.  The Aussies would be far better suited to completely ignore Kohli, say nothing.  If he wants to start anything, then let him & he can deal with the media focus on his behaviour.

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #67
I'd be very surprised if the current team went down the path of sledging Kohli.  Not only would that undermine the supposed new sportsmanship mantra lead by Paine, but it would actually help Kohli's performances.  He thrives on verbal combat to get himself up.  The Aussies would be far better suited to completely ignore Kohli, say nothing.  If he wants to start anything, then let him & he can deal with the media focus on his behaviour.

This may well be Maxwell's reason for avoiding the confrontation, everyone knew that firing Kohli up was a bad idea last time he toured yet some morons still tried! Well, it's clear that they aren't all brain surgeons!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #68
I'm absolutely gob-smacked that Punter wants Mitch Marsh as VC.

Usually I'm OK with Punter's perspectives, but this one reeks of nepotism!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #69
No sane cricket person would support that decision.

Reply #70
I'm absolutely gob-smacked that Punter wants Mitch Marsh as VC.

Usually I'm OK with Punter's perspectives, but this one reeks of nepotism!

Yeah, I admit, sounds ridiculous at first glance.....but who are the other options ?

until Smith makes it back (& there's no guarantee he'll get another role like that), who else have we got ? 
Finch has got one series to try to make the opening spot his, he doesn't need the extra pressure
Lyon ? Khawaja ?

It might be just a case of last man standing....and he has captained WA.

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #71
I captained U12s, doesn't make me good enough to captain Australia.

Aaron Finch has been a very good,  experienced short form captain.   Bailey is good too.

Reply #72
I captained U12s, doesn't make me good enough to captain Australia.

Aaron Finch has been a very good,  experienced short form captain.   Bailey is good too.

I’m not so sure Prof, you could be the man  ;)

Aren’t there several players with captaincy experience in the likely eleven?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #73
I’m not so sure Prof, you could be the man  ;)

Aren’t there several players with captaincy experience in the likely eleven?

Cricket is one sport where being a good captain can be enough to get you a gig!

The problem I think Australian cricket has is that there may well be a number of seriously good captains out there, but they are not the best cricketers and at the moment our team is so poor we cannot afford to carry them!
The Force Awakens!