Skip to main content
Topic: Boomers vs Philippines ... (Read 4328 times) previous topic - next topic

Boomers vs Philippines ...

Check this out: https://au.sports.yahoo.com/boomers-quit-philippines-early-brawl-234332360--spt.html

Boomers v Philippines basketball game, seen a few decent brawls locally but nothing like this, players, officials, spectators...
Started with some pre game carry on, some banner getting broken then with the locals getting well beat they decided to go the knuckle on Chris Goulding who had been smart mouthing a few of the opposition....Dan Kickert then stepped in with a shocking elbow to the head of the  agressor and then it was like a bar-room brawl...Nathan Sobey who has a head you would like to punch and a Hayden Ballantyne type persona then was attacked by about everyone including a local official who could throw a punch at him including chairs getting thrown etc...Sobey didnt actually do anything but was just targeted. He wasnt in a good way as were several of the aussies who needed to be helped off the court.
Thon Maker of NBA fame decided he would add some comedy by entering the fray in a Bruce Lee manner by leaping around trying to high kick the opposition but failed to lay any boot on anyone and looked very comical in the process...
Ended with only three local players on the court as the rest had been ejected......they had a couple of big American lads who tried to lay haymakers on our blokes but like their basketball proved too slow to connect with much...

Was a real bad look for the sport and the Philippines should be a no go zone for visiting teams as it isnt safe and the officials running the game there need banning as well as half their team...and just to top it off the Philippines team then all posed for a courtside selfie on social media...very happy with their days work :o

Re: Boomers vs Philippines ...

Reply #1
EB1, I'm not much in Basketball as you probably know. But I've mates who are into it big time either directly through being coaches or past players, or with children involved.

A frequent complaint in recent years has been the drop in standards around referees and officials, they have cited a number of incidents that have been enabled by poor officiating. They think the money in the game is corrupting the lower levels, the push to get onto a roster has become too great due to the dollars!

What do you think will happen with the Boomers, will the Cricket fiasco have any bearing?

As unfortunate as it may be, I doubt making an example of players will have any bearing on the direction the sport heads. Too many blokes look like barnacles, latched on for life!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2
EB1, I'm not much in Basketball as you probably know. But I've mates who are into it big time either directly through being coaches or past players, or with children involved.

A frequent complaint in recent years has been the drop in standards around referees and officials, they have cited a number of incidents that have been enabled by poor officiating. They think the money in the game is corrupting the lower levels, the push to get onto a roster has become too great due to the dollars!

What do you think will happen with the Boomers, will the Cricket fiasco have any bearing?

As unfortunate as it may be, I doubt making an example of players will have any bearing on the direction the sport heads. Too many blokes look like barnacles, latched on for life!

LP...Basketball is pretty much all about the NBA these days...more kids can tell what Lebron will make at his new club the Lakers than they could the Boomers score from last night...
The NBA is akin to the WWF its all about the star players, what club they play for and the ten top plays of the week.....traditional basketball between different countries at the world champs is also about the NBA stars and which ones who decide to play...
Last nights events wont affect much IMO...a couple of no name players from either teams will be suspended for long holidays as will some officials but life will go on the same in basketball circles..
The standard of reffing around the world has always been dubious depending on where you are playing, here in Aus it isnt too bad overall but in other countries it can be very corrupt or poor....that wont change...the dream team and thes NBA stars will continue to get the calls go their way and the fans will be happy and those at NBA headquarters will keep making lots of money....

Reply #3
Straight to the tribunal. ;)

Reply #4
Where the MRO will let them off with a fine...  Insufficient  force blah blah blah
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #5
Where the MRO will let them off with a fine...  Insufficient  force blah blah blah

:)) :)) :))
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #6
What on earth was Thon Maker up to?

It was covered ad nauseum on ABC radio today with luminaries like Michelle Timms giving their two bobs worth.

I guess when you've got a banana/thug like Rodrigo Duterte as President, anything goes. 

Unfortunately, I think that FIBA will come down hard on our blokes and we could miss out on a spot in the World Cup.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #7
No jumper punches here...!!
"...that's the thing about opinion - you don't have to know anything to have one..."  Andre Agassi commenting on Pat Cash 2004
"...the less you know - the more you believe..." - Bono 2006

Reply #8
What on earth was Thon Maker up to?

It was covered ad nauseum on ABC radio today with luminaries like Michelle Timms giving their two bobs worth.

I guess when you've got a banana/thug like Rodrigo Duterte as President, anything goes. 

Unfortunately, I think that FIBA will come down hard on our blokes and we could miss out on a spot in the World Cup.

Yep their president is the shoot first ask questions later type, I believe the Filipino coach instructed his players to go out and target our players
and condoned being violent...he should be banned for life..