Skip to main content
Topic: JLT Round 1 - Blues v Hird's Old Crew (this Thursday, Princes Park) (Read 25017 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JLT Round 1 - Blues v Hird's Old Crew (this Thursday, Princes Park)

Reply #15
I assume the teams will be named tonight?

Looking fwd to this game.  Nothing riding on it, but I'd like to get a proper look at Samo & Walsh, the highlights from the praccy game were a bit crappy quality, and they were our best 2 apparently, and 2 blokes who's improvement will help us heaps.

Also keen to get a look at Weiters, Setters, the Gov, and all the rest.

Apart from about 5k memberships.

Reply #16
I think we just cannot dismiss this game. We are all hanging out for a good serving of positivity and a good win would be a great boost for our spirits not to mention, as Jezza points out, our membership drive. Go Blues - make Thurs night a happy one. :)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #17
CARLTON

B: K.Simpson 6, L.Plowman 20, P.Dow 2
HB: N.Newman 24, C.Polson 29, L.Jones 14
C: S.Petrevski-Seton 5, P.Cripps 9, Z.Fisher 25
HF: C.Curnow 30, M.Lobbe 27, A.Schumacher 19
F: W.Setterfield 43, M.McGovern 11, H.McKay 10
Foll: A.Phillips 34, M.Gibbons 40, E.Curnow 35
I/C: M.Murphy 3, J.Weitering 23, J.Garlett 21, S.Walsh 18, J.Silvagni 1, D.Cuningham 28, D.Thomas 39, L.O'Brien 4

Emerg: T.De Koning 12, L.Casboult 41, H.Goddard 45, M.Kennedy 7

Notable absentees: Sam Docherty, Alex Fasolo, Matthew Kreuzer, Caleb Marchbank, Darcy Lang, Jarrod Pickett, Tom Williamson, Liam Stocker

ESSENDON

B: P.Ambrose 29, M.Hartley 36, J.Long 34
HB: A.Francis 10, M.Hurley 18, A.Saad 42
C: D.Heppell 21, K.Langford 4, Z.Merrett 7
HF: D.Shiel 9, M.Brown 28, D.Zaharakis 11
F: J.Stringer 25, J.Daniher 6, A.McDonald-Tipungwuti 43
Foll: Z.Clarke 20, A.McGrath 1, D.Parish 3
I/C: C.McKenna 45, T.Jok 46, S.McKernan 44, J.Ridley 14, M.Guelfi 35, J.Laverde 15, D.Smith 5, M.Baguley 12

Emerg: J.Stewart 17, S.Draper 38, T.Mynott 39, D.Clarke 37

Notable absentees: Martin Gleeson, Cale Hooker, Tom Bellchambers, Orazio Fantasia, David Myers, Matt Dea
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #18
Why do they name sides with players so obviously out of position?

It’s interesting that both Lobbe and Phillips are playing. If one rests forward, we’ll have an enormous forward line ????  I guess we’re trialling a two ruckmen structure ????

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #19
I think we just cannot dismiss this game. We are all hanging out for a good serving of positivity and a good win would be a great boost for our spirits not to mention, as Jezza points out, our membership drive. Go Blues - make Thurs night a happy one. :)

Agreed. We need to take every opportunity to build a properly functioning team.

Reply #21
Why do they name sides with players so obviously out of position?

It’s interesting that both Lobbe and Phillips are playing. If one rests forward, we’ll have an enormous forward line ????  I guess we’re trialling a two ruckmen structure ????
Two ruckmen teams are back in vogue given the new rules and structures (666).
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #22
I'm heading down for this game, I might even get there early enough to catch some of the early game too.

Im looking for improvement from Sammo, Fish, Cuningham, and less so Dow. O'Brian and Garlett.
I will also be very interested in what the new guys bring in Setters, McGovern, Gibbons, Newman and of course Walsh!

And being the Bombers, lets pray we come away with a win !!

Go Blues !!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #23
Two ruckmen teams are back in vogue given the new rules and structures (666).

Yes, I’m just not sure where we’ll hide/rest the one who is not on the ball  :-\

I guess they will spend time on the bench as well as giving Harry an occasional spell.  I wonder if we’ll see the “resting ruckmen” playing on each other as in the olden days. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #24
Yes, I’m just not sure where we’ll hide/rest the one who is not on the ball  :-\

I guess they will spend time on the bench as well as giving Harry an occasional spell.  I wonder if we’ll see the “resting ruckmen” playing on each other as in the olden days.

They've named every guy who can ruck bar Kreuzer....

I'd ditch TDK and Levi - give Lobbe and Phillips a run....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #25

I reckon you must be right.  If you only rotate ruckmen between each other and Harry and Charlie and Gov, then at any one time there will always be one of those 5 players on the bench, and when the 2nd ruckman is on the ground, he'll be replacing one of the tall forwards.  If you did that the structure would always remain the same.  The only problem I see with that is we want those 3 tall forwards playing together as a unit as often as possible, so you'd think the ruckman would take longer spells on the bench, otherwise there really isn't anywhere else to hide them.

Reply #26

Ok though for a practice match to give everyone a run as the result doesn't matter. Still useless though picking two if the 2nd one can't do much else. With Curnow, McKay and McGovern we have no room for two rucks. With limited interchange you can't run them off the bench that much. Need the interchange numbers for the mids.

Reply #27
They've named every guy who can ruck bar Kreuzer....

I'd ditch TDK and Levi - give Lobbe and Phillips a run....

That's how the team is named; Lobbe and Phillips in the side and Levi and the King as emergencies  :)

Reply #28
Ok though for a practice match to give everyone a run as the result doesn't matter. Still useless though picking two if the 2nd one can't do much else. With Curnow, McKay and McGovern we have no room for two rucks. With limited interchange you can't run them off the bench that much. Need the interchange numbers for the mids.

But every other team is going to play two ruckmen.  The rule changes, and particularly the one about taking possession in a ruck contest not being prior opportunity, mean that teams simply can't afford not to have a genuine ruckman at every ruck contest.  I wouldn't like to see Kreuzer trying to take on Gawn and Preuss with only Harry as back up.  If Melbourne rest Gawn or Preuss in their forward line, why not get Lobbe to play as a defensive resting ruckman.

It will be very interesting to see how we fit two rucks into the 22 ... and we will have to find a way.

Reply #29
But every other team is going to play two ruckmen.  The rule changes, and particularly the one about taking possession in a ruck contest not being prior opportunity, mean that teams simply can't afford not to have a genuine ruckman at every ruck contest.  I wouldn't like to see Kreuzer trying to take on Gawn and Preuss with only Harry as back up.  If Melbourne rest Gawn or Preuss in their forward line, why not get Lobbe to play as a defensive resting ruckman.

It will be very interesting to see how we fit two rucks into the 22 ... and we will have to find a way.

Looks like we retired Rowe a year too early IMHO.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson