Skip to main content
Topic: Pre Game Perambulations: AFL 2020 R11 Carlton vs West Coast (Read 9812 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre Game Perambulations: AFL 2020 R11 Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #45
Mate just thinking about it, apart from the last 5 losses in row, prior to that was always 50-50 against them whether it was in here or there. If they really care about how they lost yesterday and really want to redeem themselves, we are a sneaky chance. Last 20 games are as follows:
LWLLLLWWWWLLLWWLLLLL

We've just about always matched up well on the Weagles. And we've played plenty of good footy in the West. And in a season like this one there is seldom a lay down misere.

I just hope we coach the midfield this week to take control of the game, if the opposition kick two in a row, by slowing the game down to prevent our usual gifting opposition sides 4-7 consecutive goals... then get our bearings and go nuts again.

I also hope we rest Murphy and give a kid a go.

I also hope we drop Moore.

I also hope we give Gibbons, Cuningham, Martin, SPS & even Edwardo more/some midfield time. And, conversely, give Kennedy, Cripps and Setterfield more time up forward.

I also hope we make changes within a game when needed.

I also hope SPS gets some midfield/forward time and we consign the backman experiment to the rubbish bin.

I hope the Weagles (like the Pussy Cats) are so over-confident that they rest Nic Nat.

I also hope we send the coaching group and players more of the Jekyll & Hyde formula that we obviously sip on in games, but this time increase the dose so that everyone gets more sustained mongrel/ferocity! More Hyde, less Jekyll thank you.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #46
Unlike Hawthorn who view us at their bunnies we usually do ok vs WC and make a good game of it even in Perth.
I expect a close game and give us a chance.....Jones, Weitering can look after Kennedy and the WC backline without the good McGovern isnt that brilliant IMO.
Its all about the midfield and can we lock down on Shuey, Kelly, Gaff, Yeo etc.....the latter will probably get Cripps and he usually does well so we need a lift from Kennedy, Setterfield,  etc...

Reply #47
All this we do well against the Eagles stuff is setting us up for failure.

When was the last time we played the eagles.....and did they have some bloke called Tim Kelly playing for them?

Kelly vs Cripps both on current form, is a huge win for Kelly.
Do i need to continue down the midfield chain from there?  :-*

Reply #48
All this we do well against the Eagles stuff is setting us up for failure.

How so? Pretty sure the players and coaches don't read this and say... 'hey, GTC, EB1, Baggers (and so on) reckon we'll do all right against the Weagles... you beauty!'

Nuh. And I'm pretty damn sure the players aren't thinking, 'We match up well on the Weagles... nothing to worry about...' Nuh. They'll know the huge task in front of them.

Reply #49
How so? Pretty sure the players and coaches don't read this and say... 'hey, GTC, EB1, Baggers (and so on) reckon we'll do all right against the Weagles... you beauty!'

Nuh. And I'm pretty damn sure the players aren't thinking, 'We match up well on the Weagles... nothing to worry about...' Nuh. They'll know the huge task in front of them.

Us = the supporters

Reply #50
I love reading all the faith in the players, and potential match ups. Chances to win are always there. Wake up guys and don’t be surprised once we clearly get spanked by 10 goals plus. Let’s hope it doesn’t happen, but most of us suspect it will. Some of us. O.K it’s me and only me. Just being realistic and pessimistic at the same time. One thing is certain. We can’t play the Eagles back into some form. They already have that. Let’s just hope it’s less than 5 goals. That isn’t asking or expecting too much. Surely.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #51
I love reading all the faith in the players, and potential match ups. Chances to win are always there. Wake up guys and don’t be surprised once we clearly get spanked by 10 goals plus. Let’s hope it doesn’t happen, but most of us suspect it will. Some of us. O.K it’s me and only me. Just being realistic and pessimistic at the same time. One thing is certain. We can’t play the Eagles back into some form. They already have that. Let’s just hope it’s less than 5 goals. That isn’t asking or expecting too much. Surely.
At their best, Carlton can beat anyone, anytime, anywhere irrespective of their form, plain and simple. Can we deliver such performance v the Weagles, we shall see. Depends which Carlton turns up.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #52
As much as I'd enjoy a win, we (IMO) don't have a hope in hell.  And I hate being a misery guts, believe me.  Shakeout time to decide what we really want from the season.

Reply #53
Shakeout time to decide what we really want from the season.

Agree. Maybe there are some within the club who still reckon we're a finals chance and hence want to put our 'most experienced' group on the paddock. But not moi. Time to blood a couple of newbies... over the next few weeks let's give TDK, Honey & Philp a crack, and get Fisher, Marchbank and SOJ back into the side asap. And once Stocker returns from Melb get him up and about and also a crack at senior footy before the season ends.

The first two to be rested this week should be Moore (well, deported more than rested) and Murphy.

Reply #54
As much as I'd enjoy a win, we (IMO) don't have a hope in hell.  And I hate being a misery guts, believe me.  Shakeout time to decide what we really want from the season.

Easy right now. Want finals and it stays that way until we can't.  We only had that one bad game. Could've been many reasons for that. All sides have them.

If you can win at Geelong you can win anywhere. Two of the best sides in the comp know exactly how we can play.  I'm not tipping us given it's in Perth, too close in the tipping comp to do that, lol, but a win certainly would not surprise. West Coast will be very worried about playing us, make no mistake. They come out not filly switched on they lose. In 20 games we have been very highly competitive in all but 2. Inconsistencies during games, 13 30 point swings in 20 games, have cost us a few wins, which could've had us 13-7 rather than 10-10 from when Teague started. That's the one step to get right that will shoot us right up the ladder. Then we look anyone on the eye and match them.

Reply #55
Agree. Maybe there are some within the club who still reckon we're a finals chance and hence want to put our 'most experienced' group on the paddock. But not moi. Time to blood a couple of newbies... over the next few weeks let's give TDK, Honey & Philp a crack, and get Fisher, Marchbank and SOJ back into the side asap. And once Stocker returns from Melb get him up and about and also a crack at senior footy before the season ends.

The first two to be rested this week should be Moore (well, deported more than rested) and Murphy.

When you're one game out of the 8 with a better percentage of course you chase finals. Why the hell would you give that up. Anything else is a losers mentality, which can happen when you lose for most of 20 years. While it's there you chase it hard otherwise it's just purely giving up. We don't expect our side to give up, supporters need to follow suit.

Reply #56
You're keeping the faith Jim.  This is a "nothing" season so "anything" is worth a go. ;D  

Reply #57
Easy right now. Want finals and it stays that way until we can't.  We only had that one bad game. Could've been many reasons for that. All sides have them.

If you can win at Geelong you can win anywhere. Two of the best sides in the comp know exactly how we can play.  I'm not tipping us given it's in Perth, too close in the tipping comp to do that, lol, but a win certainly would not surprise. West Coast will be very worried about playing us, make no mistake. They come out not filly switched on they lose. In 20 games we have been very highly competitive in all but 2. Inconsistencies during games, 13 30 point swings in 20 games, have cost us a few wins, which could've had us 13-7 rather than 10-10 from when Teague started. That's the one step to get right that will shoot us right up the ladder. Then we look anyone on the eye and match them.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #58
I'm actually torn...At our best  we are a chance to beat anyone.
But we're up and down like a yo-yo.
And the prophet in me says we aren't consistent enough to make a good fist of it this year.

I'd still go with the play our winningest side until finals chances disappear completely.
The experience of finals football is a valuable one in any team's development.

But the minute we're no longer a chance start the experiments.

Reply #59
I'm actually torn...At our best  we are a chance to beat anyone.
But we're up and down like a yo-yo.
And the prophet in me says we aren't consistent enough to make a good fist of it this year.

I'd still go with the play our winningest side until finals chances disappear completely.
The experience of finals football is a valuable one in any team's development.

But the minute we're no longer a chance start the experiments.

That's the stage we're at. Inconsistent, and that's during games, and cost us wins. Sort that and we start to really make it.