Skip to main content
Topic: Pre Game Perambulations: AFL 2020 R11 Carlton vs West Coast (Read 9814 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre Game Perambulations: AFL 2020 R11 Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #60
You're keeping the faith Jim.  This is a "nothing" season so "anything" is worth a go. ;D

Just a game out with a better percentage, so a win could put us in. Any finals in any year is most valuable to our development. Even if we miss them at least competing hard for them will aid our development learning to play with that type of pressure.

It's just nice to be thinking of that rather than looking who the no.1 pick is going to be for us...lol.

Reply #61
That's the stage we're at. Inconsistent, and that's during games, and cost us wins. Sort that and we start to really make it.
Jim I  think we need to bolster up our onfield leadership if we are to take that next step.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #62
Jim I  think we need to bolster up our onfield leadership if we are to take that next step.
That's part of it but wipe out the inconsistency and we would've had quite a few more wins, which puts us really right there. They both might be entwined.

Reply #63
Who comes in for Cunningham, who's out for 2 weeks with a calf strain.

Honey or Fisher. Honey sounds a similar type.

Lot of talent in the Honey family. Father a Commonwealth Games bronze medalist, mother a national netball Diamond, sister a Melbourne Vixen, uncle an Olympic silver medalist behind Carl Lewis and a 2 times Commonwealth Games gold medalist. So if bloodlines count for anything.....

Reply #64
I'm actually torn...At our best  we are a chance to beat anyone.
But we're up and down like a yo-yo.
Those two lines sum Carlton up BUT, many around us a falling like dominoes so keep the faith against WC, it aint over till its over.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #65
That's part of it but wipe out the inconsistency and we would've had quite a few more wins, which puts us really right there. They both might be entwined.
The problem is that inconsistency is in the nature of some of these players.
It's ingrained
Cunningham's one of the prime examples.
We all know what he's capable of but  he produces it inconsistently.
And he's not Robinson Crusoe.

How do you wipe that out?
You can't do it just by saying "We need to be more consistent."
And for players like Dow, Fisher , O'Brien, SPS etc there may be different reasons for their inconsistency

At the moment we're probably picking teams with the best chance to win (with the odd notable exception)
The fact that we're relying on scratch matches for our second tier players, rather than a formal secondary competition, means players not in the top 22 are being managed in terms of game time and probably not getting proper hit-outs.
All this gives them a lesser opportunity to put pressure on the senior side.

Reply #66

Lot of talent in the Honey family. Father a Commonwealth Games bronze medalist, mother a national netball Diamond, sister a Melbourne Vixen, uncle an Olympic silver medalist behind Carl Lewis and a 2 times Commonwealth Games gold medalist. So if bloodlines count for anything.....

Sam Philp was named as an emergency along with Zac Fisher. I think they may blood Philp who has a good turn of speed and can win his own ball.

Reply #67
None of the fringe players are having the opportunity to have a real hit out and prove their worth due to the current arrangements. These scratch matches are the old ‘dancing with your sister’ analogy that Pagan used to refer to. Bloody hard gig trying to stake your claim these day......

(Wouldn’t mind seeing what Cotrell has to offer.....)

Reply #68
One can't tread water forever by failing to reward those maybe more deserving of chances.  How many has Lang had?

Reply #69
I'm actually torn...At our best  we are a chance to beat anyone.
But we're up and down like a yo-yo.
And the prophet in me says we aren't consistent enough to make a good fist of it this year.

I'd still go with the play our winningest side until finals chances disappear completely.
The experience of finals football is a valuable one in any team's development.

But the minute we're no longer a chance start the experiments.

Wish I could find the article from last Friday calling us the 'Jekyll & Hyde' of the AFL... within games! And the author of the article correctly predicted that it would be an issue against the Dawks.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #70
When you're one game out of the 8 with a better percentage of course you chase finals. Why the hell would you give that up. Anything else is a losers mentality, which can happen when you lose for most of 20 years. While it's there you chase it hard otherwise it's just purely giving up. We don't expect our side to give up, supporters need to follow suit.

And to me chasing a finals berth hard, firstly requires winning. As a part of that we need to be really honest with ourselves why we do not win when in patches we show we are clearly able to. Our costly fades in games are now legendary. We consistently and persistently give up opposition run-ons of 4-7 goals. No finals until that stops... and it can, now.

Before you can fix something you gotta admit the problem, then apply the solution. Almost every pundit of our game has identified poor adapting to change by our midfield as undermining our potential success. Plus we're so conservative at the selection table and on match day. Boldness needed.

For me it's about doing your utmost to win (rather than focusing on finals)... and knowing that the rest will take care of itself, once you develop the winning habit. And for me winning often means some boldness and a complete intolerance of beige games from anyone. As an example, Murphy is too often a liability... yes, he does some good things but at critical moments you cannot have a leader who can't land a hard tackle and is seemingly committed to bruise free footy. Is his want to play on selfish? There are other examples.

Recruiting blokes as midfielders (Gibbo / SPS for example) then playing them out of position is a recipe for at best ordinariness.

When I suggest being bold at the selection table, player positions and match day tactics it's actually in an effort to win! Playing newbies is not about putting the cue in the rack, rather trying other options in an attempt to improve the chance of winning - and stopping the wild surrenders in games that let opposition sides get a sniff, and more often than not, take the lead. The whole place needs some nasty pills... mongrel... tenacity.

The present situation, the status quo of playing blokes out of position, not rotating more cats through the midfield and so on will only get us more of what we're already getting - close games, with wild fluctuations from us, decided by a coin toss.

Reply #71

Honey is more like Gary Rohan but not as quick....will play a quarter then go missing, can do the big mark, big tackle, kick the big goal but will frustrate many with his inconsistency and laconic approach.
I'm a fan of his ability but he is going to polarize fans big time...

Reply #72
None of the fringe players are having the opportunity to have a real hit out and prove their worth due to the current arrangements. These scratch matches are the old ‘dancing with your sister’ analogy that Pagan used to refer to. Bloody hard gig trying to stake your claim these day......

(Wouldn’t mind seeing what Cotrell has to offer.....)
Cotrell seems like a bit of a mad bagger based on the video on the website. He is seen leading a chant just before the 2s run out for a scratch match, reminds me of Robbo.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #73
Honey is more like Gary Rohan but not as quick....will play a quarter then go missing, can do the big mark, big tackle, kick the big goal but will frustrate many with his inconsistency and laconic approach.
I'm a fan of his ability but he is going to polarize fans big time...

Honey sounds like the perfect replacement for Cuningham... does good things and goes missing - like for like!!

In all seriousness you'd expect Zachery to get the nod if he's had sufficient training. And Brackets (if he comes up) for Moore. I'd like to see Philp again and Murphy rested but that won't happen.

Reply #74

I'd be very tempted to give Honey a go. He isn't huge, but he is fast and aggressive. He doesn't take backwards steps.
Live Long and Prosper!