Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 23: Carlton vs Geelong (Read 11354 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 23: Carlton vs Geelong

Reply #45
Somewhat ironically, the only upgrades to our home turf is to turn it into the home of womens football. No balls allowed!

Kruddler, since the TPP penalties we keep being nice citizens in AFL circles, and then pricks like Dangerfield or the Pudding Face Twins frequently stab us in the back after we support their causes!

Have a look at Nthmond and McGuire, both publicly opposed the Carlton / Princes Park redevelopment plan, claiming that such a venue didn't fit within the AFL's wider plans to benefit all clubs. Then within a month both launched their own boutique stadium proposals!

For years Carlton pushed for Good Friday football as part of the wider plan to raise funds for the RCH, built on the battle of the neighbours Carlton and Norp that flank the RCH. So what happens, Sheedy butts in claiming CheatsFC deserve the gig, and the AFL schedule the game against Norp!

In some ways our silence makes us the leagues buffoons. I appreciate bleating about it is not the solution, however that shouldn't be an excuse for inaction!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #46
Kruddler, since the TPP penalties we keep being nice citizens in AFL circles, and then pricks like Dangerfield or the Pudding Face Twins frequently stab us in the back after we support their causes!

Have a look at Nthmond and McGuire, both publicly opposed the Carlton / Princes Park redevelopment plan, claiming that such a venue didn't fit within the AFL's wider plans to benefit all clubs. Then within a month both launched their own boutique stadium proposals!

For years Carlton pushed for Good Friday football as part of the wider plan to raise funds for the RCH, built on the battle of the neighbours Carlton and Norp that flank the RCH. So what happens, Sheedy butts in claiming CheatsFC deserve the gig, and the AFL schedule the game against Norp!

In some ways our silence makes us the leagues buffoons. I appreciate bleating about it is not the solution, however that shouldn't be an excuse for inaction!

Look, some of what you say is right, some is best said by someone wearing a tin-foil hat.

There is a difference between causation and correlation.

In regards to developing PP. I would give that another go now. With the parkville train station now getting built, it solves one of the biggest issues our ground ever had, getting there. Now the train will be in close proximity to the ground, easier enough to walk too, but if required, the tram can take you the last 2km to the front door.

The area around is a big enough area to accomodate any growth required.

Personally if i was to develop the area, i'd start from scratch and build a brand new stadium right next door to where we are now, and keep Ikon Park as a training ground/ AFLW / VFL ground. Similar to the Tigers and Punt road oval.

I'd make it ultra modern and future proof, put a roof on it if you need to and make a Marvel Stadium type clone.....but do it right from the beginning. Host concerts etc there and make money of it that way.

We just need the backing of a forward thinking billionaire....

Reply #47
The wind change killed us.

That plus the way that Kreuzer doesn't jump in the centre circle ruck contests. From the very first contest, the opposition ruckmen jumped over MK and cleared the ball for easy centre clearances.

Reply #48
That plus the way that Kreuzer doesn't jump in the centre circle ruck contests. From the very first contest, the opposition ruckmen jumped over MK and cleared the ball for easy centre clearances.

We play Kreuzer injured because away from the centre square he's worth 2 or 3 of Casboult, Phillips or Lobbe!

What we missed yesterday was Jones, our KPP game plan fell over because we couldn't cover the run of the Handbagger talls. Even so Weitering was probably the best tall on the ground.

I heard some caller spud on radio last night claim Hawkins was among the Handbagger's best, it must have been a Pudding Face Twin or a Dangerfield in disguise! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #49
Rumours suggesting a lot of our boys had money on the opposition those days. Not sure how true it is, but it would explain a bit.

I used to go to training back in 1982 had a friend working for Carlton then. Told me in advance games we were going to lose in the 2nd half of that year. He was spot on. We lost in a similar way most times. 3 times in the 2nd half of that season!

Reply #50
Our major problem in that game imo was that, although we did very well in terms of the number of times we got the ball into F50, we just could not keep it there or capitalise in terms of goals. The Cats were far more effective/efficient in terms of F50 entries. Our midfield did not appear to be the cause of our demise imo.
Nevertheless, we were carrying three passengers (at least) in terms of O'Brien, Fisher and Dow. Hopefully the penny drops for them in 2020 and we start seeing some better performances and involvement in the game.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #51
Our major problem in that game imo was that, although we did very well in terms of the number of times we got the ball into F50, we just could not keep it there or capitalise in terms of goals. The Cats were far more effective/efficient in terms of F50 entries. Our midfield did not appear to be the cause of our demise imo.
Nevertheless, we were carrying three passengers (at least) in terms of O'Brien, Fisher and Dow. Hopefully the penny drops for them in 2020 and we start seeing some better performances and involvement in the game.

Light kids, another pre-season will help. The trade period is hopefully the last of the rebuild where we get to add a few big bodies so light kids don't have to do a big bulk of midfield grunts.

Reply #52

Kreuzer, if he has a tough day they say he isn't so good and pick every fault, when he comes back from injury and plays well, it's "we are so much a different side with Kreuzer".

Reply #53
Matthew Kreuzer is the best ruckman we've got, by some margin.
However, he isn't going to be the ruckman who wins us a flag next. His injuries mean that he doesn't have the spring. Nor does he have the height to combat a 211 cm ruckman. Nor does he have the strength to combat some of the shorter, stronger guys who don't jump.
I still love the guy, the way he gives 100% every time he goes out. But he is so rarely 100% in his own body ...
I have harped on it a lot, but we need a dominant ruckman. We don't have one.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #54
However, he isn't going to be the ruckman who wins us a flag next. His injuries mean that he doesn't have the spring. Nor does he have the height to combat a 211 cm ruckman. Nor does he have the strength to combat some of the shorter, stronger guys who don't jump.
I still love the guy, the way he gives 100% every time he goes out. But he is so rarely 100% in his own body ...

Where does Kreuzer play if he isn't our number one ruckman.
I don't think he does.

Reply #55

Many a flag won without dominant ruckmen.

Reply #56

...and didn't that set the tone for the day!

Can't help but wonder if we took a number of injured blokes into the game, including Kreuzer with his decaying feet and knees. But then maybe I'm simply hoping that 4 broken legs, 3 ACLs, 2 concussions, 3 blokes with leprosy and 6 blokes accidentally slipped 20mg ea of Valium before the game explains our performance. ;)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #57
Kreuzer was NOT the reason we lost that game so badly. Sorry!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #59
Kreuzer, if he has a tough day they say he isn't so good and pick every fault, when he comes back from injury and plays well, it's "we are so much a different side with Kreuzer".

Very true.  Apart from Stanley hitting the scoreboard, I would call it a tie.  Casboult having a shocker didn’t help Kreuzer’s cause.

And you don’t leave Dangermouse unattended on the goal side at centre bounces  >:(
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball