Skip to main content
Topic: 2019 AFL Rd 1: Carlton vs Richmond at the MCG: Post Game Passion (Read 24005 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2019 AFL Rd 1: Carlton vs Richmond at the MCG: Post Game Passion

Reply #180
SPS in defence? Maybe at the NB's. Im over him TBH.

I'm 50/50 on him.....talented for sure but he still picks and chooses when he goes and he doesnt provide much impact with the possessions he gets...
Looks stylish but is he effective?

Reply #181
Collingwood and geelong fumbling a bit too.

Looks like its contagious.

Ditto kicking for goal.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #182
At 61.1% DE? As I said I am over him. At one stage in the 1st qtr I think, SPS and Garlett approached the footy on the ground and they both appeared to slow right up and look at the ball, look at each other before one picked it up. For mine that was a good look. Look I don't know what his role is, I'm just a mug observer from over the fence. But to me, his role certainly doesnt involve:
- Body contact
- Picking up a man
- Putting his nose over the footy
- Tackle an opponent
Loves to guard space, lots of it in fact. Pretty good at it too.

I would be careful quoting DE% numbers

Martin 63.3
Cotchin 51.6
Walsh 54.2
De Goey 50
Treloar 61.8
Selwood 52
Dangerfield 59.3
Dahlhaus 66.7
T.Kelly 67.7

Defenders chips it around and have good numbers.   Midfielders often bringing the ball inside 50 to a out number.

Reply #183

Martin 63.3
Cotchin 51.6
Walsh 54.2
De Goey 50
Treloar 61.8
Selwood 52
Dangerfield 59.3
Dahlhaus 66.7
T.Kelly 67.7

Defenders chips it around and have good numbers.   Midfielders often bringing the ball inside 50 to a out number.
Point taken re DE, the rest of what I stated is still my opinion. As EB stated, he picks and chooses when to go, I'd play him in the VFL for a very long stint.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #184

Martin 63.3
Cotchin 51.6
Walsh 54.2
De Goey 50
Treloar 61.8
Selwood 52
Dangerfield 59.3
Dahlhaus 66.7
T.Kelly 67.7

Danger is a real ball butcher but avoids scrutiny as does Selwood as they deliver in the big moments......agree on the defenders having better numbers...eg Newman will have a great DE% but still needs to prove he can defend  when the heat is on...

Reply #185
I'm 50/50 on him.....talented for sure but he still picks and chooses when he goes and he doesnt provide much impact with the possessions he gets...
Looks stylish but is he effective?

I actually do like him, but I wonder if we wouldn't be better off trading him to Fremantle for Adam Cera. I would hate for him to have a purple patch then want to go home.

Reply #186
Richmond have an established team that runs out games very well.   We have a new team (some huge number of players weren't  in the r23 side of last year).

There were a couple of quarters of intent, teamwork and moving the ball quickly. Hopefully we start playing in the first quarter soon.

Does the no runner rule affect us more as we are establishing how we play and players need a few more reminders of what they should be doing v Richmond's established plan where everyone is well practised at it?

Reply #187
I actually do like him, but I wonder if we wouldn't be better off trading him to Fremantle for Adam Cera. I would hate for him to have a purple patch then want to go home.
Again I am no expert but I'd do that in a heartbeat.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #188
Richmond have an established team that runs out games very well.   We have a new team (some huge number of players weren't  in the r23 side of last year).

There were a couple of quarters of intent, teamwork and moving the ball quickly. Hopefully we start playing in the first quarter soon.

Does the no runner rule affect us more as we are establishing how we play and players need a few more reminders of what they should be doing v Richmond's established plan where everyone is well practised at it?
The cynic in me says yes the Runner not being able to get onto the field more will hurt young teams. That is why the rule was introduced.
They do whatever they can to keep us down.
I think I have become a bitter old man.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #189
Having now watched the full replay I’ll offer some thoughts.

It was almost like watching a different team at times. Q1 and Q4 was like watching 18 individuals run out on the ground and watch the game unfold with minimal effort, no run and no teamwork. Q2 and Q3 the same players worked, ran hard together and tackled with intensity.

When we stopped running we resorted to predictable play that the tigers picked up easily. And it was the same tactic that killed us last year - get a mark, stop, take time, quick long down the line. No run and carry at all in the bad quarters. Richmond just put more players at the drop of the ball and knocked it around until their numbers won out.

Defensively, I’m begging you Bolts - abandon our zone. Players guarding space doesn’t work for us. Our midfield don’t play defensively enough and the lack of pressure exposes the backline who stand off their opponents too much. We might grow to suit the zone as we improve but for now we absolutely must drop an extra man back for most of the game to stop the easy forward movement by the opposition.

The irony of our forward line is that our tall players look quick, are mobile and cover the ground but our small forwards look strong but move slow. Ed is not a small forward. He lacks the speed to chase and isn’t creative enough to seize the moment and play on. Perhaps we could try swapping him and Garlett?

I thought Charlie was below his best, but he was apparently among our players covering the most ground. So he’s working hard but being ineffective. Hopefully gets back into form after this one.

Finally, we’ll done Walsh. A good showing from the lad in his first game.

Reply #190
Was a bit disillusioned when BB replied to a question in the post match presser about the VFL practise game, he said he had been so focussed on the AFL he didn't know what had happened in the VFL.

If BB or his 2ICs had spent 5 minutes looking at the VFL they would have known the oppositions tactics, even so it may have been too late to do anything about it. It's such a rare opportunity to get to live watch an opposition "Reserves" pre-game these days I'm not sure coaches can afford to waste it!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #191
I dont know if its been mentioned on this thread but Fishers tackles on Martin were significant. I wouldnt be surprised if coaches were showing footage of Fishers technique in dealing with the fendoffs before any Richmond game.

It seemed to deflate Martins game as he lost that aura of invincibility with a major part of his game taken  away. Well done Fisher and the coaching staff on that one.

It was also good to see Cripps and Fisher working in tandom and it can only get better for us to watch. 

Reply #192
I dont know if its been mentioned on this thread but Fishers tackles on Martin were significant. I wouldnt be surprised if coaches were showing footage of Fishers technique in dealing with the fendoffs before any Richmond game.

It seemed to deflate Martins game as he lost that aura of invincibility with a major part of his game taken  away. Well done Fisher and the coaching staff on that one.

It was also good to see Cripps and Fisher working in tandom and it can only get better for us to watch.

It was particularly impressive in view of the very different physiques of the two of them. Bluto and Popeye?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #193
It was particularly impressive in view of the very different physiques of the two of them. Bluto and Popeye?

Can Dusty change his behaviour, he's been throwing his arm out so long it's become autonomic, and Fisher showed how to turn it into a weakness?

I think you'll find in the coming weeks more and more players looking for and grab Dusty's arm, at some stage Dusty will get frustrated and raise and elbow instead, then it'll be mid-season holiday time for Dusty!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #194
I think we need to manage our players better. Keep a Cunningham and Samo (for example) out of the midfield for most of the first 3 quarters and then use them in the final quarter.

We definitely need to find a solution to not being able to run out games.

The other thing we should have done was manage the game better in the first quarter when Richmond got a run on. We need to hold onto the ball find the short options and not over-handball - which Bolton rightly pointed out invites pressure. Control the tempo and avoid getting run off your legs chasing tail.