Skip to main content
Topic: Pre Game -Port v Blues R2 (Sat, March 30, 5.10pm) (Read 23041 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 2 - Port v Blues (Sat, March 30, 5.10pm)

Reply #30
I would play DeKoning
AFL website states DeKoning has a moderate grade lateral ligament knee injury, acquired in 3rd qtr of Thursday's VFL match.

Reply #32
AFL website states DeKoning has a moderate grade lateral ligament knee injury, acquired in 3rd qtr of Thursday's VFL match.

Then I probably wouldn't play him.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #33
Yep, part of the Stocker deal. Unless we somehow deal ourselves back in, we're out of the 2019 1st round.

We have the Crow's first rounder.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #34
We have the Crow's first rounder.

Ah yes. You're right. Focussing too much on dinner and too little on reading draft results.  :-[

Reply #35
From all reports Port has had an intense focus on this Round 1 game against Melbourne and built themselves up accordingly.  Might run the risk of a bit of letdown coming into the second week.  They played above themselves today. Can they do it twice in 2 weeks??

Reply #36
I cannot see us as anything but 0 / 2.  Some might have assumed other clubs would stand still over summer whilst we went on an aggressive drive to get the best.  IMO, I don't think we went far enough

Reply #37
If we want McKay to learn the role of a mobile KPF who occasionally rucks, running him around tagging Westhoff wouldn't be too bad of an option!

Which would also save us from having to take Jones out of defence which would be problematic unless we brought in a tall defender.  Options thin in that area unless we think Casboult can do the job in the ones, he hasn't shone in that role in the 2s.  Goddard just doesn't seem to be up to it and Ben S is a long way off.  Lobbe maybe in to share ruck/forward duties with Phillips and release McKay to run with Westhoff?  Does he have the tank?  Is it worth trying anyway for education (both player and match committee) purposes?

Casboult forward/second ruck seems the most likely unless Kreuzer comes up.

Reply #38
I think if we are running with so many talls Charlie, McKay, McGovern, Jones, Cripps, Phillips and or Kreuzer then there is no reason we can't rotate a 2nd ruck off the bench and let the 9 of them manage their own rotations.

There seems no valid reason, other than MC policy, why guys like Charlie, McGovern, Weitering and Jones cannot take boundary line throw ins when appropriate but they are being used that way which causes issues with solo rucks. Plenty of other clubs do this.

Further at the weekend, despite the loud howls from many that the new rules mean you cannot play two rucks, it seems teams which dominated were often surprisingly running with two players in genuine dedicated ruck roles.

Port, Dawks, Crows, Lions and Freo all dominated single ruck opposition. The work required to correct the loss of the center clearance is far greater than the work needed to take advantage of the winning center clearance. I suspect if you are surrendering the center too often it takes a toll, especially if you have a shallow, inexperienced or wasteful midfield.

To me the issue is this, despite low scoring the very early trend is a larger percentage of scores coming directly from stoppages. While I haven't seen the figures, I'll expect that we will find that much of the increase in the percentage split coming from center square clearances and clean takeaways. Really it most likely is the case because around the ground the rules haven't really changed. We probably won't know for 5 or 6 weeks if the trend is real, but it suggests wining the ruck or at least not losing it is critical under the new rules.

Of course some clubs have a luxury in that they have dedicated rucks who are useful as forwards or defenders, and I'm sure some will argue we had Phillips and McKay, but I'd argue two talls is not the same as two rucks.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #39
Safe to say Fasolo dropped this week?

Polson in?

Unless there is an injury we don't know about that's the only change I can think of.

Reply #40
Safe to say Fasolo dropped this week?

Polson in?

Unless there is an injury we don't know about that's the only change I can think of.

Maybe.. but hard to drop Fasalo after just one game IMO...
Garlett might be looked at but we might need his pace given the way Port ran all over the Dees.
Then do you think about another ruckman to help Philips given Lycett and Ryder gave Gawn a hard time and were influential?

Reply #42
Maybe.. but hard to drop Fasalo after just one game IMO...
Garlett might be looked at but we might need his pace given the way Port ran all over the Dees.
Then do you think about another ruckman to help Philips given Lycett and Ryder gave Gawn a hard time and were influential?

Can't drop anyone really....

unless the two ruckmen option is considered must.....

I'd be playing Charlie on a wing - get him in the thick of it.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #43
I'd be playing Charlie on a wing - get him in the thick of it.....

Yep, to me assuming the weather is clear it allows him to influence the game even if he isn't getting the football. Opposition have to respect Charlie because he's got the runs on the board, a major point of difference between Charlie and McKay, and they can't put some tall aerobic spud on Charlie it has to be a player of consequence.

I genuinely think the key to taking the next step is to allow our better players to become a bit ambivalent to their opponents. When guys like Charlie and McGovern show some arrogance with some aggression they play their best football.

Maybe give Charlie or McGovern free license to fly 3rd man up around the ground.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #44
I can't see Fas getting a game. He looked underdone.

Kreuzer will need at least 1 VFL game. He's been out for a while.