Skip to main content
Topic: Pre Game -Port v Blues R2 (Sat, March 30, 5.10pm) (Read 22772 times) previous topic - next topic

Pre Game -Port v Blues R2 (Sat, March 30, 5.10pm)

So, we lick our wounds and fly to SA next week.

I note Port play Melbourne tomorrow. Dixon and Wines big out. We'll win this one if Charlie C. puts in.

Their injury list:

Joe Atley    Knee    Available
 Matthew Broadbent    Hamstring    TBC
Charlie Dixon    Leg/ankle    TBC
 Riley Grundy    Knee    TBC
 Sam Hayes    Knee    TBC
 Jarrod Lienert    Knee    TBC
 Jake Patmore    Knee    Season
 Paddy Ryder    Cheekbone    Available
 Ollie Wines    Shoulder    2-3 weeks

Updated: Thursday, March 21

Early prognosis
Ryder has been given the all clear to take on Melbourne at the MCG on Saturday. The ruckman will wear headgear to protect his cheekbone. Co-captain Wines looks set to miss at least the first two rounds in his recovery from shoulder surgery. Vice-captain Hartlett will play in a SANFL trial game on Friday night in his first game back from a torn ACL, while young midfielder Atley (knee) will also resume with the Port Adelaide Magpies. Broadbent will miss the SANFL game after experiencing hamstring tightness at training. The club isn't putting a timeframe on the return of key forward Dixon, who had a clean-out of his right ankle on Tuesday afternoon. He's likely to miss at least the first month of the season and possibly longer. Defender Lienert is sidelined with medial damage to his knee sustained in the second JLT Community Series game against North Melbourne. - Lee Gaskin
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Re: Round 2 - Port v Blues (Sat, March 30, 5.10pm)

Reply #1
I should add that no Wingard, no Polec, but Watts still there!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #2
Port by 5 goals. 3 goals in Melbourne, but they get an extra 2 for the home ground advantage.

Reply #3
Cons....our interstate record is poor and Port are on the own dung heap.
           Ryder and Lycett will be too much for Philips IMO and its hard to see Kreuzer being fit to play

Pro's....Port are rebuilding and have a team of kids especially down back.
           Melbourne should smash them and hopefully create some chaos in their selections for the following week.
           They have Watts who hasnt exactly been a rip snorting success on the field....

Its a game we should win IMO as I dont rate Port at all and reckon Hinkley is gone at years end....
Charlie owes us a big one as does McGovern and no Wines means Cripps should dominate.
Blues by 17 points as I reckon our kids are better than theirs and its time we won interstate and we wont get a better chance
vs such a weak Port outfit..

Reply #4
Bluesrock I'd maybe delete that post if I was you.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #6
Ill actually judge where we are at based on what we bring to the table this week vs PA even if it is over there. Richmond are flag favourites so its no surprise they beat us (2018 Wooden Spooners) by 5-6 goals. PA are rubbish in my opinion hence I expect a much closer game, even a win this week.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #7
Ill actually judge where we are at based on what we bring to the table this week vs PA even if it is over there. Richmond are flag favourites so its no surprise they beat us (2018 Wooden Spooners) by 5-6 goals. PA are rubbish in my opinion hence I expect a much closer game, even a win this week.
Have ever played well at Adelaide Oval?
When was the last time we won in Adelaide? Was Fev still part of the team ?
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #8
Have ever played well at Adelaide Oval?
When was the last time we won in Adelaide? Was Fev still part of the team ?

Kicked the winner from the boundary right on the siren?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #9
Have ever played well at Adelaide Oval? No, lost all three.
When was the last time we won in Adelaide? Rnd 23 2013, beat PA by a point. Was Fev still part of the team ? No
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #11

Its a game we should win IMO as I dont rate Port at all and reckon Hinkley is gone at years end....
Charlie owes us a big one as does McGovern and no Wines means Cripps should dominate.
Blues by 17 points as I reckon our kids are better than theirs and its time we won interstate and we wont get a better chance
vs such a weak Port outfit..

Very much a game we can win.

Unlike many people on here, I was not that disappointed with our performance against the Tigers.
They are favourites for the flag this year and we won the second and third quarters against them. Not a bad effort.
We don't appear to have copped any injuries and should have Jack.S available this week.
Kreuser and Kennedy probably will still be out.

I don't see us making any drastic changes.
Garlett may be on shakey ground if we want to bring Jack in.
I reckon all our new blokes showed enough and will all make the grade IMO.

Phillips might struggle in the ruck battles but in most set positions we match up pretty well.
Wines is a big loss for Port.

A win now would do wonders for the Club in a number of ways, so I am full of optimism.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #12
My optimism is at rock bottom. Dreams replaced by disillusionment.  Any CFC supporter going into a game expecting a win is setting themself up for crushing disappointment.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #13
Very much a game we can win.

Unlike many people on here, I was not that disappointed with our performance against the Tigers.
They are favourites for the flag this year and we won the second and third quarters against them. Not a bad effort.
We don't appear to have copped any injuries and should have Jack.S available this week.
Kreuser and Kennedy probably will still be out.

I don't see us making any drastic changes.
Garlett may be on shakey ground if we want to bring Jack in.
I reckon all our new blokes showed enough and will all make the grade IMO.

Phillips might struggle in the ruck battles but in most set positions we match up pretty well.
Wines is a big loss for Port.

A win now would do wonders for the Club in a number of ways, so I am full of optimism.

We usually get beat up by the same players ....Robbie Gray is probably the Port player who worries us more than most and I'd just like to see
Bolton identify these players more and make more of an effort to stop them. I dont want a player with L Plates like Garlett/Polson picking him up because its good for their development etc.
He needs our best lock down mid sized defender and a Plan B option if that doesnt work, same with someone like Westhoff who has been playing on a wing and floating down forward, back and being a nuisance every time we play them. We can beat Port and other teams if we plan for a win and not so much for development IMO...

Reply #14
I too see shortcomings in Bolton's unwillingness to 'stop' certain opposition players....

Ed C. and Kennedy the most likely but if you stop certain players having a real, ongoing influence, you can effectively stop the opposition....

Jones on Westhof?

As for ed Curnow as a forward? why?
Finals, then 4 in a row!