Skip to main content
Topic: Pre Game -Port v Blues R2 (Sat, March 30, 5.10pm) (Read 23195 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 2 - Port v Blues (Sat, March 30, 5.10pm)

Reply #45
Can't drop anyone really....

unless the two ruckmen option is considered must.....

I'd be playing Charlie on a wing - get him in the thick of it.....

x3, can't add much to that or what the Spotted One said.

I really like the idea of getting Charlie into the action up the ground (FB77) and encouraging more boldness in our play (LP).
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #46
Said it previously on other threads regarding some of these points:

1. Curnow doesn't have the finishing skills to play as a permanent forward IMO...and he showed exactly why a couple of times against Richmond. His best role is and has been his ability to run all day and shut down an opposition player. Can't work out why it wasn't his role on Thursday night against Cotchin?
2. McKay gets brushed aside too easily in ruck contests and Ryder/Lycett will flog him and work him over just like they did to Gawn. Can't comment on his pre-season form as I haven't seen any, but Casboult might get a gig this week as purely the best option as second ruckman. Only issue will be what he does when he's not rucking as we'd have one too many talls...unless McGovern plays back this week.

Reply #47
Said it previously on other threads regarding some of these points:

1. Curnow doesn't have the finishing skills to play as a permanent forward IMO...and he showed exactly why a couple of times against Richmond. His best role is and has been his ability to run all day and shut down an opposition player. Can't work out why it wasn't his role on Thursday night against Cotchin?

Maybe because he kicked 5 in the corresponding game last year?!?

Reply #49
I think by Curnow he means Ed.

Good pickup!!  Need to brush up my comprehension skills!  I’d still be happy to see Cripps and CC swap ecru so often.

Reply #50
Good pickup!!  Need to brush up my comprehension skills!  I’d still be happy to see Cripps and CC swap ecru so often.

I can't help you on that one! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #51
Clurey 193cm
Jonas 187cm
Burton 191cm
Bonner 190cm
Houston 187cm
Byrne Jones 180cm

I'd be playing Charlie down forward along with Harry and take advantage of the height difference......reckon Port would love seeing Charlie on the wing and away from the goals.
Ports backline is all about rebound and mobility, they want the ball on the deck and not in the air.
Charlie has to lift his game and not be given a easy out by playing on a wing IMO...both he and Harry should dominate their smaller opponents if we give them half decent service.
If he doesnt perform this week its back to the NB's and Kerr can take his place, same with Fasalo, he will have a taller player on him most likely so will need to move around
and work harder.....
No excuses for our forwards this week if the supply is ok......its a inexperienced undersized, no name Port backline that should not present the problems that the taller and more experienced Tiger defense did.

Reply #52
Clurey 193cm
Jonas 187cm
Burton 191cm
Bonner 190cm
Houston 187cm
Byrne Jones 180cm

I'd be playing Charlie down forward along with Harry and take advantage of the height difference......reckon Port would love seeing Charlie on the wing and away from the goals.
Ports backline is all about rebound and mobility, they want the ball on the deck and not in the air.
Charlie has to lift his game and not be given a easy out by playing on a wing IMO...both he and Harry should dominate their smaller opponents if we give them half decent service.
If he doesnt perform this week its back to the NB's and Kerr can take his place, same with Fasalo, he will have a taller player on him most likely so will need to move around
and work harder.....
No excuses for our forwards this week if the supply is ok......its a inexperienced undersized, no name Port backline that should not present the problems that the taller and more experienced Tiger defense did.

All I was suggesting EB was for BB to be more creative on match day - move a bloke like Charlie around more if things aren't working for him....

A very winnable game if we play for 4 quarters.

McGov and Fas will shine with a bit more game time - and better delivery into F50.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #53
All I was suggesting EB was for BB to be more creative on match day - move a bloke like Charlie around more if things aren't working for him....

A very winnable game if we play for 4 quarters.

McGov and Fas will shine with a bit more game time - and better delivery into F50.

Fly..no argument from me about BB needing to be more creative and like you i reckon this is a winnable game.
My take is though we have engineered a tall forward line probably against the trend of the smaller pressure forward model and if there is one game where we can take advantage of being different  its this
game vs a short inexperienced Power backline. McGovern needs to deliver this week more than Fasalo who still needs some match fitness IMO....

Reply #54
Agreed EB. They might be forced to push Westhoff back at times to cover our talls but would be loathe to do it after his game on the weekend up forward. Their ruckman, particularly Ryder, are good at pushing forward and can kick goals. Phillips got flogged around the ground by Nankervis last week and won't get any reprieve this week.

Charlie had a shocker but I doubt he's ready for a stint in the twos just yet.

Reply #55
Agreed EB. They might be forced to push Westhoff back at times to cover our talls but would be loathe to do it after his game on the weekend up forward. Their ruckman, particularly Ryder, are good at pushing forward and can kick goals. Phillips got flogged around the ground by Nankervis last week and won't get any reprieve this week.

Charlie had a shocker but I doubt he's ready for a stint in the twos just yet.

Is it me or do our ruckman (all of them) seem to have little (close to zero) impact outside of stoppages?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #56
FB, I would say that's where Kreuzer is vastly different to Phillips and Lobbe....his work around the ground is in the mould of a genuine follower....Phillips did okay in the ruck contests but Nankervis left him for dead around the ground.

Reply #57
Is it me or do our ruckman (all of them) seem to have little (close to zero) impact outside of stoppages?
Outside of Kruezer your 100% correct.
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #58
Outside of Kruezer your 100% correct.
Agree SB, sometimes I think to myself he is a better midfielder than a Ruckman when I see his second and third efforts (if that makes sense).
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #59
Agree SB, sometimes I think to myself he is a better midfielder than a Ruckman when I see his second and third efforts (if that makes sense).

Makes perfect sense, he is a great footballer who has been cruelled by injury, fingers crossed we can get him on the park to help support this up and coming midfield we are assembling.
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.