Skip to main content
Topic: Pre Game -Port v Blues R2 (Sat, March 30, 5.10pm) (Read 23204 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre Game -Port v Blues R2 (Sat, March 30, 5.10pm)

Reply #150
If Polson's only getting a game because he's 'Bolton's Pet' then we need a new coach.
Surely there's more to it.

Do folk really think that any player would be selected because the coach likes them?

I would like to see Polson make more of his opportunities but that’s not the role assigned to him.  If you forget about largely inconsequential statistics and watch the pressure Polson applies to opposition defenders, his place in the 22 is a no brainer.  He would have been a much better option last week than the largely ineffectual Fasolo and Gibbons.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #151
That's my thinking...and the match committee must believe that role is important enough for it to be a part of the 22 players selected.

Had 8 possies in the 1st JLT game with 4 Clangars/4 tackles DE 62%
Had 10 possies in the 2nd JLT game with 1 Clangar/1 tackle DE 60%

Polson's family must be the Match Committee.....

Reply #152
Had 8 possies in the 1st JLT game with 4 Clangars/4 tackles DE 62%
Had 10 possies in the 2nd JLT game with 1 Clangar/1 tackle DE 60%

Polson's family must be the Match Committee.....

Forget the stats EB and watch the pressure and perceived pressure that Polson applies to the opposition defenders.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #153
Forget the stats EB and watch the pressure and perceived pressure that Polson applies to the opposition defenders.

Successful teams don’t play tiny forwards who’s one trick is running around applying perceived pressure. I mean come on guys - justifying this guy because of pressure alone is absolute rubbish talk. We are the bloody bottom team and this guy has no clue what to do when the ball rately lands in his lap and yet we should play him because of perceived pressure! Gee whizz that’s setting the bar right on the floor isn’t it.

Sorry but this rebuild is in the 4th year and my patience like many others is wearing very thin. We are coming off another spoon so I’m over being optimistic - these days I’m calling it as I see it and the decision to keep persisting with the type of player like Polson really makes me wonder if Bolton is the man we need at the stage we are at.

Reply #154
Successful teams don’t play tiny forwards who’s one trick is running around applying perceived pressure. I mean come on guys - justifying this guy because of pressure alone is absolute rubbish talk. We are the bloody bottom team and this guy has no clue what to do when the ball rately lands in his lap and yet we should play him because of perceived pressure! Gee whizz that’s setting the bar right on the floor isn’t it.

Sorry but this rebuild is in the 4th year and my patience like many others is wearing very thin. We are coming off another spoon so I’m over being optimistic - these days I’m calling it as I see it and the decision to keep persisting with the type of player like Polson really makes me wonder if Bolton is the man we need at the stage we are at.

That probably sums it up.

There are some of us who believe that Polson is in the side to play a role and that he does it well enough to be included.
Others of us question the wisdom of continually playing a bloke who doesn't seem up to it.

That leaves us with two possibilities
Either the Coach/ Match Committee have no clue in which case they need to go.
or
They're a bit smarter than us and see something we don't appreciate in having Polson in the 22 ahead of any other player

Reply #155
Looked like played alright for a while last week. Then I saw  the tripe Richmond served up tonight. Suppose every week is different.

Reply #156

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

You know how every team against us just sweep the ball out of defence all the way down the ground for easy goals? That's due to a lack of forward pressure.
Notice how we struggle to bring it out of the back line and our guys are always under the pump and just hacking it out of there? That's because the other team are pressuring us.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #157
or
They're a bit smarter than us and see something we don't appreciate in having Polson in the 22 ahead of any other player

I'd lean to the former...coupled with the fact guys like Lang/Kennedy are injured....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #158
That probably sums it up.

There are some of us who believe that Polson is in the side to play a role and that he does it well enough to be included.
Others of us question the wisdom of continually playing a bloke who doesn't seem up to it.

or

I suspect it is no more complicated than 'quick over the grass' replaces another 'quick over the grass'. Problem with Polson is, what happens when he gets the aggott... Cuningham's disposal is generally very good and he's dangerous around goal.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #159
You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

You know how every team against us just sweep the ball out of defence all the way down the ground for easy goals? That's due to a lack of forward pressure.
Notice how we struggle to bring it out of the back line and our guys are always under the pump and just hacking it out of there? That's because the other team are pressuring us.

One small little bloke ain't going to change that equation MBB....

Bad bad turnovers cost up repeatedly...fix that we'll beat anyone on our day.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #160
Wonder if Faz would have been retained if Cunners wasn't injured or would he have been replaced by Poulson? Strikes me also that Cunners is a different type of player to Poulson so we have apparently tried to improve our forward pressure by bring him in.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #161
One small little bloke ain't going to change that equation MBB....

Bad bad turnovers cost up repeatedly...fix that we'll beat anyone on our day.

Yes and No.

Insert Paul Puopolo, Hawthorn go to 4 grand finals in a row winning 3 of them (they lost one to Sydney). 

Im also reminded of the 2008 grand final.

Cyril wasn't a spectacular player in that one, but I remember he did something in that game that turned the momentum in a large way with some repeat efforts on the wing.

His stats that day:

6 kicks, 4 handballs, 2 goals, 3 tackles, 2 clangers. 

https://www.hawthornfc.com.au/video/2016-09-28/grand-final-moments-17

2015 grand final:  https://www.hawthornfc.com.au/video/2016-03-17/grand-final-recall-cyril-tackle

Look at how his teamates talk about a run down.  The look on their faces as they watch the video.  The way Hodge talks about bringing the crowd into it.

Mitch Robinson used to do a bit of this for us.  He was a tool.  Polson isnt.  He just rushes his disposal.

Remember round 23 against Adelaide?

No one cared.  This bloke tried his guts out.  A team like ours has been bottom for a long time, because efforts like this are completely disregarded unless its a gun doing it.

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/2018-08-27/hard-hit-of-the-week-round-23

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #162
Turnovers and lack of forward pressure are both huge problems, and have been for a while.

Reply #163
It sometimes only takes one small bloke to set the standard.
If that pressure is lacking it might just need those one or two pressure acts for the players around to think..."gee if that little fellow can do that maybe I need to pull my socks up."
Maybe the small player's individual efforts don't have a significant impact on the contest but it could be that those efforts are infectious and lift those around him to higher standard in terms of pressure.
The question then becomes..."Is a player worth a spot for that role?"

Reply #164
Bring three of those ever week and the answer is yes.

It's been covered,  but another meh game from Fazzy boy and he's gone. 
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?