Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW Round 3: Carlton vs Brisbane at Ikon (Read 10545 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW Round 3: Carlton vs Brisbane at Ikon

Reply #30
There are about 10 'elite athletes' in the whole competition (most successful in other sports). The others are nothing more than weekend warriors. The AFL have a lot to answer for in a couple of areas. Their hype over Mo Hope because she had a 'story' but failed to fire a shot was over the top, totally!  Making Sarah Perkins a pinup girl (again nice story, but no athlete) was just unfair. The high percentage of the girls have been promoted and pumped up way, way beyond their ability.  The exposure (print, electronic media) is WAY out of proportion to the standard of the game and ability of most of the players......but it suits the AFL perfectly!

I actually feel sorry for the girls, they should be able to develop in the 'burbs, like the next generation of players are doing now.

It's a start up competition, with part time players, most of whom have played the game for all of 5 minutes. If they stick them in the burbs, I think the girls will be stuck there forever.

Everyone has a right to an opinion, but they need to be given a chance first. The improvement will come.

Reply #31
What was the dogs 50 something years and the Tiges were 30 something?
Where are we at 23? :o

Won the last two years from nowhere is my point. Like I said, things change fast. Where did Richmond start under Dimma? Dogs were below us in 2014. See how it changed? You can't say we habe a long drought ahead. We have a good, young side coming through.

Reply #32
There are about 10 'elite athletes' in the whole competition (most successful in other sports). The others are nothing more than weekend warriors. The AFL have a lot to answer for in a couple of areas. Their hype over Mo Hope because she had a 'story' but failed to fire a shot was over the top, totally!  Making Sarah Perkins a pinup girl (again nice story, but no athlete) was just unfair. The high percentage of the girls have been promoted and pumped up way, way beyond their ability.  The exposure (print, electronic media) is WAY out of proportion to the standard of the game and ability of most of the players......but it suits the AFL perfectly!

I actually feel sorry for the girls, they should be able to develop in the 'burbs, like the next generation of players are doing now.

The fact it's in the AFL means alot more talented girls are playing underage comps.  So young  ones are developing in the suburbs right now. That'll show in 5-6 years. Without ot being in the AFL nothing would've changed and few would've developed hence the same as the current situation.

Reply #34
Not an easy game to watch. We really missed our top end talent. I think we can put to rest any thoughts of playing in the AFLW GF this year. I pray I'm wrong.

I agree with above comments re taking time. With more investment in the women's comp more talent will come through. Perhaps the gals should be playing with rules a little closer to AFLX, especially fewer on the ground?

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #35
I enjoyed the game but it annoys me that free kicks that would be paid in the AFL are let go.  Of course, it impacts on both sides but I thought there were a couple of obvious frees that, if paid, would have gone some way to evening up the scoring opportunities.

We looked great when we switched play and ran the ball, but that happened too infrequently.

One thing that concerned me was the number of kicks from the backline that went directly to the opposition.  The defenders’ first option is to roost the ball as far as possible.  A little more composure and thought and we could have kept possession and got the ball past the centre.

I should add that Mrs DJC thought that our girls were more attractive than the Lions  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #36
I enjoyed the game but it annoys me that free kicks that would be paid in the AFL are let go. Of course, it impacts on both sides but I thought there were a couple of obvious frees that, if paid, would have gone some way to evening up the scoring opportunities.

We looked great when we switched play and ran the ball, but that happened too infrequently.

One thing that concerned me was the number of kicks from the backline that went directly to the opposition.  The defenders’ first option is to roost the ball as far as possible.  A little more composure and thought and we could have kept possession and got the ball past the centre.

I should add that Mrs DJC thought that our girls were more attractive than the Lions  :)

I don't understand what is going on here, it's like they play under different rules.

Our girls went it quite hard and suffered a number of high blows for zero benefit, in the end our players became timid because the umpires were not paying frees for high contact. It was ludicrous, a lot of these infractions were right in front of umpires who failed to implement the rules. In the 3rd / 4th Qtr both the Hosking girls copped elbows to the head as they tried to tackle the ball carrier in front of an umpire, and nothing happened.

I'm also pissed off with the anti-Carlton negativity. Both teams rolled players behind the ball, yet the media is banging on about Carlton ignoring the AFL's directive for attacking play. Any moron watching the video can see 4 or 5 Lions to 2 Blues whenever we entered F50, yet apparently we are the ones stacking the backline!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #37
I was very disappointed in last night's game. We really lacked a few things and they really hurt us. We really had a go, but sometimes you need more than endeavor.

[1] Skills:
The Lions had much better ball control than we did. They didn't fumble as much. Their kicks hit targets, whether the kicker was open or under pressure. There handballs hit the mark, especially over more than a metre or so. When they had a shot on goal, they kicked them from just about any angle. We could not kick a goal from 10 metres out directly in front. The 2 boomerang kicks from the pocket were really magical, but it was the bread and butter shots that went straight over the goal umpire's head that hurt the most.

Our skills were ordinary at best and the number of times we fumbled the ball basically gave up any advantage of positioning that we may have had. We missed the target even over short distances far too often, and when we kicked the ball out of defence, we went to the wrong option almost every time. One against 3 rarely works to out advantage.

[2] Game Style:
We played a zone based game with a lot of Pagan's Paddock. When we got the break, it looked pretty good. Right up until we turned it over. The Lions were trying to do something similar. Early in the game our defensive play was so good that it made it impossible for the Lions to score. So far, so good.
However, we were caught out in Pagan's Paddock style later in the game as we tried so hard to attack. We would turn the ball over and that was all she wrote.
Our style of game was not that bad, everything considered, but it didn't work well when our skills fell away. Far too often we kicked the ball directly to a Brisbane defender. Whereupon the ball came straight back. Our style would fit better if we got more centre breaks and could hit targets.
The other thing is note is that we go wide by choice and go slow too often. The girls are lacking faith in their own disposal at the moment and are taking their time and looking for less risky options. That doesn't work when you can't keep control of the ball.

[3] Coaching:
Granted that we were lacking our #1 coach, but Brisbane clearly won the coaching battle last night. Their positioning was better than ours, they showed about as much endeavor and they were that bit stronger and faster as well. The also used some tactical techniques that we did not adjust to well: they shepherded more effectively than us, but they also shepherded at considerably greater distances than we did. How legal some of that was is another issue, but being shepherded out 20 m off the ball was not unusual. The biggest win for them was their zone, which simply got the ball every time we tried to clear it from defence.

[4] Recruiting:
As was recognized earlier in this thread, there are few 'elite' athletes in this competition. We have one, Brianna Davey. We lacked her ability, her strength, her reading of the play and the depth of her kicking last night.
Be that as it may, we REALLY need more elite talent, especially in the midfield.
In the last draft and trading period we put a lot into recruiting Nicola Stevens and Tayla Harris. Harris was a brilliant selections, as she really gives us something up forward. Stevens, a key defender and B&F winner at Collingwood last year, has not played in defence, nor has she really shone this year. She was very quiet yesterday.
Again, so far, so good.
Where were lack is in the midfield. Last year we had a solid midfield, lead by Lauren Arnell, and a winning ruck combination. This year, our midfield has been strong and honest, but has lacked pace and rarely gets a centre break. As a result, it has been impossible for our forwards to get decent opportunities.
Last year Alison Downie and Breann Moody did very well in the ruck. Downie had the extra height and ruck skill, Moody has the leap and the aggression. This year Downie has been down; not holding her marks and not getting the taps. Moody has been patchy and is very fumbly.
Last night Downie played in defence on Brisbane's giant and held her well, but provided no drive for us at all. Moody had opportunities, but consistently misses the target.
Our present mids are lead by solid players in Sarah and Jess Hosking, both of whom are not elite in pace or disposal. Shae Audley tackles like her life depends on it, but doesn't get huge numbers herself. It is here where we REALLY need improvement, and some new, elite talent. I expected us to recruit mids for this year, but we did otherwise.
Last year we got plenty of Arnell and Maddie Keryk. They have one game between them this year and Arnell went possessionless in that game.
It appears that time and injuries are catching up with Arnell and Downie. Their replacements are not yet at our club. And we need them, as they provide a LOT of leadership.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #38
I don't understand what is going on here, it's like they play under different rules.

Our girls went it quite hard and suffered a number of high blows for zero benefit, in the end our players became timid because the umpires were not paying frees for high contact. It was ludicrous, a lot of these infractions were right in front of umpires who failed to implement the rules. In the 3rd / 4th Qtr both the Hosking girls copped elbows to the head as they tried to tackle the ball carrier in front of an umpire, and nothing happened.

I'm also pissed off with the anti-Carlton negativity. Both teams rolled players behind the ball, yet the media is banging on about Carlton ignoring the AFL's directive for attacking play. Any moron watching the video can see 4 or 5 Lions to 2 Blues whenever we entered F50, yet apparently we are the ones stacking the backline!
I agree. Brisbane got a number of frees for high tackles that we barely breast high. We did not. The number of time our girls were tackles without the ball for no reward was mindboggling. And we made a lot of heavy tackles that we not rewarded until the last quarter.
The umpires appeared to be looking for high contact, and let the holding the ma(umm, girl) go totally. Our girls were looking to be rewarded for tackles and were not.

The out of bounds rule was also interpreted last night to our considerable disadvantage on a number of occasions. We spoil the ball over the line and get penalized. They do it, and it is ball in. That really hurt us.

Brisbane had 3 50 m penalties in their favour last night, while we got none. All 3 were dubious and lead to Brisbane scores. The worst was given against Alison Downie for being in the protected area. That was very poor. Another was for when one of our girls kicked the ball downfield after a free. She was quite entitled to believe that the free was going to us for incorrect disposal, rather than (very dubiously) for in the back. It also cost a goal.

With a scrappy game it is not always easy to see free kicks, but this effort really hurt us.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #39
One thing the seems to be in common between our women and men is the lack of pace, it seems to be a total non-priority from our recruiting perspective.

Last night Exon and a couple of others hurt us, excluding Li it looked like nobody was capable of chasing down a ball carrier.

From the outside it looks like we have heavily prioritised inside strength and endurance over pace, it leaves us with playing lists that look imbalanced.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #40
One thing the seems to be in common between our women and men is the lack of pace, it seems to be a total non-priority from our recruiting perspective.

Last night Exon and a couple of others hurt us, excluding Li it looked like nobody was capable of chasing down a ball carrier.

From the outside it looks like we have heavily prioritised inside strength and endurance over pace, it leaves us with playing lists that look imbalanced.

Don't think this is true about the men's team.

Plenty of pace there - Garlett, Pickett, Byrne, Fisher, Charlie, Dow, O'Brien, Lang - all quick or very quick....

ASOS too has toe, ditto Jones and Macreadie for a big guy....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #41
Don't think this is true about the men's team.

Plenty of pace there - Garlett, Pickett, Byrne, Fisher, Charlie, Dow, O'Brien, Lang - all quick or very quick....

Yes, its seems to me efforts are being made to address our lack of pace.

Reply #42
We missed Davey last night.

We missed her run, carry and penetrating kicking coming out of the backline.

Lions just built a wall 30m behind the ball and caught everything we tried to clear. Thats why the coach said to be patient and go wide to get around the wall. We were better, but not good enough.

Didn't help that we lost 2 runners in Gee and Brazzale.

Not sure why everyone is writing us off, we were on top of the ladder before this game, and still =1st. Not bad considering we are playing without our coach, captain and last years captain for one reason or another.

Reply #43

Quite a few of those blokes played in AFLX and appeared deadset slow relative to the opposition.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #44
I enjoyed the game but it annoys me that free kicks that would be paid in the AFL are let go.  Of course, it impacts on both sides but I thought there were a couple of obvious frees that, if paid, would have gone some way to evening up the scoring opportunities.

:)) :)) :)) :)) Mrs Baggers said the same thing! She loves the AFLW.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17