Skip to main content
Topic: GM to dump Holden (Read 27154 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: GM to dump Holden

Reply #60
Dodge RAM....more junk... cracked engine blocks, junk universals...also buy a welder you will need it.

re: Nissans...CVT's are the worst on the planet, what company these day only offers a 3 year warranty...dont buy Nissan.

Reply #61
As an ex-Wrangler owner, I have to say that I can’t fault the protection they provide to the occupants.  Not that I needed it myself but several of my Jeep buddies were involved in serious accidents and the integrated roll cage enabled them to walk away.  Indeed, most Wranglers that have rolled can be made roadworthy and have the rollover record deleted from the onboard computer.  In fact, a young friend roiled one on a steep track last month and was able to get it back on its feet, drive home, replace some panels and get a roadworthy for it within a week.

If you want a capable 4WD with a live front axle and ladder chassis, you’re going to run foul of ANCAP ratings.  My 79 Series Landcruiser doesn’t have an ANCAP rating because Toyota couldn’t be bothered (the 2016 single cab model has a 5 star rating).

If I was in the market for a genuine outback touring, boghole ploughing, rockcrawling 4WD, I wouldn’t be too concerned about ANCAP ratings.  However, I would be concerned about reliability and build quality and that’s where I believe that Jeep lets its buyers down.

If you are rock hopping and not doing any speed then you may get away with it but on a highway in a moderate front on accident where normal cars would protect you you are going to
be scraping the front passenger out of that crumpled cabin, not much fun in the back either where the protection is equally poor.
The A pillar and trans facia beam connection collapses which is unacceptable in a modern car....you are much more likely to die in a moderate front on accident if you drive a Wrangler.

Reply #62
My brother in law's mate is competing in the Beijing to Paris rally in a 1975 Rolls Royce.  The fifth placed vehicle at around the halfway mark is an EH Holden.

The leader is ...

a Leyland P76  :o
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #63
Dodge RAM....more junk... cracked engine blocks, junk universals...also buy a welder you will need it.

re: Nissans...CVT's are the worst on the planet, what company these day only offers a 3 year warranty...dont buy Nissan.

The last o/back trip I did pretty much included the  most popular 4wd models.  The one that caused problems was a close to new Patrol on which the diff housing cracked.  Luckily there was plenty of diff oil available!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #64
Further news on Jeep crape boxes, this poor family having bought their dream car a "a 2013 Jeep Cherokee" 2nd hand in 2015 were toddling down the road when this 7 slot nightmare ground to a halt and refused to start. Those bend over merchants at Jeep initially diagnosed a faulty battery...a new one installed being $600, yep must be lined with gold that battery but it gets worse, they then inform the owner that the fuel pump has also ceased working and has unloaded all its debris into the fuel injection system, can it get worse...yep you bet it can, its a Jeep.....at Jeep they keep the defibrillator in the customer lounge not the workshop and with good reason.
Sorry Mr Lawrence your Jeep Cherokee repair is now $47K...ouch.....these scumbags at Head office Fiat/Chrysler/Jeep were asked for some goodwill but declined, a second hand motor you ask, nope no other mechanics will touch it, Insurance?...no, sorry no claim there either.

Just dont buy a car from Fiat/Chrysler/Jeep....worst car manufacturer on the planet, customer service is non existent and
their vehicles are the biggest lemons on the road .

https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/manufacturing/stay-right-away-family-claims-50000-jeep-grand-cherokee-turned-to-dust/news-story/3628effa5aa56404bef536e9e115d994

Reply #65
A bit slow with that one EB.  It’s old news that Jeep have offered to fix their Grand Cherokee gratis.  There is also some doubt about whether it’s possible for fuel pump debris to defeat the fuel filter.

Of more concern is the investigation of faulty chassis welds on the JL Wrangler.

Of course, GM’s massive recall of vehicles for faulty brakes is relevant too.

By the way, the Beijing to Paris rally was won by the Leyland P76 and the EH Holden finished in the top ten.  My brother in law’s mate’s big standard Roller finished - with the co-driver pushing it the last 10 metres to the finish line ????

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #66
A bit slow with that one EB.  It’s old news that Jeep have offered to fix their Grand Cherokee gratis.  There is also some doubt about whether it’s possible for fuel pump debris to defeat the fuel filter.

Of more concern is the investigation of faulty chassis welds on the JL Wrangler.

Of course, GM’s massive recall of vehicles for faulty brakes is relevant too.

By the way, the Beijing to Paris rally was won by the Leyland P76 and the EH Holden finished in the top ten.  My brother in law’s mate’s big standard Roller finished - with the co-driver pushing it the last 10 metres to the finish line ????

Thanks for the update DJ, reckon those bad press stories forced FCJ to fix the car......Wranglers....you know my opinion on Jeep's ;)
Wouldnt buy a Holden either, more atrocious after sales support, they were good but not anymore, ditto for Ford.
The Roller did well to get close to the line, EH I can believe but the P76??...like to check that car out, cant be original?? :o

Reply #67
Thanks for the update DJ, reckon those bad press stories forced FCJ to fix the car......Wranglers....you know my opinion on Jeep's ;)
Wouldnt buy a Holden either, more atrocious after sales support, they were good but not anymore, ditto for Ford.
The Roller did well to get close to the line, EH I can believe but the P76??...like to check that car out, cant be original?? :o

I think that most of the contestants couldn’t believe that the Roller wasn’t modified.  Alan fitted electric cooling fans and they killed the battery 10m from the finish line.

The P76 and EH probably don’t have many original parts ????

BTW, my daughter has just ditched her Jeep for a Prado - and she and her husband are well aware of Prado issues.  Hopefully, they’ve got a good one ????

Reply #68

The P76 is (I reckon) a bit unfairly maligned, was a pretty decent car really....just produced & marketed at completely the wrong time as the world was going through the 70s oil crisis & also British Leyland was in free fall with more strikes than work going on.  Had a decent motor & was enormously roomy !
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #69
BL's major problem in the 70s was quality management although there were plenty of others. The Japanese were just in a different league.

Reply #70
BL's major problem in the 70s was quality management although there were plenty of others. The Japanese were just in a different league.

"We love football, meat pies, kangaroos and Hyundai cars".......
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #71
"We love football, meat pies, kangaroos and Hyundai cars".......

Hyundai's and Kia's were rubbish but not anymore and the customer support is probably the best of all car makers.
Keep them for the 7 year warranty in Kia's case then move them on.

Wish I could say the same for Holdens and Fords, customer support is terrible and so are the vehicles in the main.

Reply #72
Hyundai's and Kia's were rubbish but not anymore and the customer support is probably the best of all car makers.
Keep them for the 7 year warranty in Kia's case then move them on.

Wish I could say the same for Holdens and Fords, customer support is terrible and so are the vehicles in the main.

A mate is the head mechanic at a Hyundai dealership.  They recently had a vehicle suffer a catastrophic engine fail with only 800kms on the clock.  Everyone was scratching their heads until my mate discovered that it had been assembled without a head gasket  :o

Reply #73
A mate is the head mechanic at a Hyundai dealership.  They recently had a vehicle suffer a catastrophic engine fail with only 800kms on the clock.  Everyone was scratching their heads until my mate discovered that it had been assembled without a head gasket  :o

They must be well made to make it to 800kms without a head gasket, I doubt an olden days Ford or Holden would even make it 10km, actual they might not even make it out of the driveway!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #74

Assembler must have had a big night on the soju??